Clutch replacement

Chodygt

It's a bit of work to pull the tranny, but it isn't terrible if you have a good tool selection and a decent place to work on it. I'd do it again rather than pay the $1000 for a shop to do it.

There are two ways to handle it.

Pull the tranny, replace everything, resurface the flywheel, replace the rear main seal, reinstall the tranny and plan not to do it again for 100k miles.

Don't remove the T-bars or the tranny, just slide it back far enough for you to replace the throw out bearing, pressure plate and clutch plate and hope nothing else fails before the new clutch is worn.

Either way, plan on using a tranny jack, these trannys are large and heavy!

B

If you look in the FSM (pinned in the garage section) there is a detailed explanation of how to remove the transmission. It actually goes step by step.

Hope this helps. Good luck and don't use cheap no name parts!

well fskc, this blows. i think ill do the slide trick if i am able.what do i need to remove to make room?

Off hand, you need to remove the drive shafts, torsion bar cross member (for clearance and the tranny mount attaches to it), the shifters, slave cylinder, some wires and the starter. It's not hard, just a lot of work...

$1000 for changing it ??

damn... In Chile, $140 bucks for labor and $270 bucks for the ceramic clutch kit!

I replaced everything including the flywheel for about $350. So mechanics there work for $10-$14 an hour?? Hard to find one for less than $60-80 here, dealership shop rate is $130 an hour. Seriously!! Thieves... P...

B

You pay for the convience of not having to do it yourself! :rofl:

Seriously it's some labor but not crazy atupid to do yourself. Bring your patience though and take breaks when you get agitated

Bring your patience though and take breaks when you get agitated

At work we have all these stupid safety classes and they told us if you get frustrated (their nice word for pissed off) to walk away and take a little break. I asked them if they would pay me to walk around the shop all day, The safety guys don't find things like this amusing!

James