Water Pump and by pass hose question

Does anyone know if there are any differences in water pumps from 1987- 1990 on the 3.0L VG 30 I. I replaced my engine a few years ago, and cant confirm what year the 'donor motor' came out of. The mechanic that did the swap said the new water pump on the old 'take out' engine would not fit. Now either he lied to me because he forgot to swap it or there is a difference between pumps. The other item I'm interested to know about is this 'coolant by pass' hose I've heard mentioned that is either attached to the water pump or somewhere near by. Apparently it can only be accessed while the timing belt, cover and water pump are being serviced or replaced.

I need to do a water pump and am in the process of getting ready to order parts from Rock Auto. So any input or help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Keith

There are different pumps but only for different vehicles. your donor engine may not have been in a pathfinder so the mechanic had to use the old engines water pump to make the belts line up.

The bypass hose is a very short 90degree elbow that sits behind the upper timing cover between the dizy and the outlet to the radiator. It CAN be changed with everything in place But it is a PITA and may take 4 hours like mine did on the trail...

Come to think of it. I think that motor came out of a 1989 or 1990 2 wheel drive pick up. The oil pans were different, the 4wd pan was obviously deeper than the one that was on the donor motor. Since none of the accessory parts were on the donor motor. Just came with heads, block and no intake. The water pump was on it, but all the pulleys were gone and had to come from the original motor. I guess I'm wondering what would be different on the water pumps? And would you know the size or part # of this by pass hose?

Thanks,

Keith

Come to think of it. I think that motor came out of a 1989 or 1990 2 wheel drive pick up. The oil pans were different, the 4wd pan was obviously deeper than the one that was on the donor motor. Since none of the accessory parts were on the donor motor. Just came with heads, block and no intake. The water pump was on it, but all the pulleys were gone and had to come from the original motor. I guess I'm wondering what would be different on the water pumps? And would you know the size or part # of this by pass hose?

Thanks,

Keith

Alkorahil should be able to help you out. He's a great supporter of NPORA.

You can probably find the part number on nissan4u.com. Best if you go and enter your vehicle specifics, but here is one from an 89, part number 28 in this diagram, real PN listed below:

http://nissan4u.com/parts/pathfinder/us_wd21/1989_7/type_6/exhaust_and_cooling/water_pump_cooling_fan_thermostat_water_hose_and_piping/

Pathfinders with the V6 from 87 to 95 used the same water pump no matter if it was 2WD or 4WD.

Hardbody trucks with the V6 had 4 different water pumps used:

4WD V6 up to production date 08/94 same as the WD21 V6. 09/94-08/95 they used an even different water pump.

Also note that the V6 Hardbody trucks made after 01/95 had a different EGR configuration than the Pathfinder.

2WD V6 Hardbody had a different water pump then the Pathfinder ANd the 4WD Hardbody up to 08/94. 09/94-08/95 they used an even different water pump.

Production stopped on the V6 Hardbody after 08/95. 1995 was the last model year for the V6 truck in the US.

Even though they are almost exactly the same engine and transmission, Keep in mind the WD21 Pathfinders were all made in Japan whereas the Hardbodys were all made in Tennessee after 1989.

I would bet since you said the oil pan was different, if you did some research you would find that it came out of a 2WD Hardbody truck.

What would be the most logical way of figuring out whats on there WITHOUT having to take everything apart? I'm trying to do this on Labor Day of all days and won't have access to a parts store. And it's my only vehicle. Would taking the engine number off the block tell me anything and get me the right part number or water pump?

Thanks,

Keith