2 Stage Torsion Bars?

Slick

ok, I am completely lost now... I spoke to Trail Master who made my 4" SL, as I am in need of changing my torsion bars, they do not make, and have never seen my t-bars before :blink:

I bought King over 7 years ago with the lift already installed, and assumed they were part of the TM lift.

I hvae emailed Jim Conner Racing as a last resort to see if perhaps this is one of his products from his Nissan Off Road racing days, but if ANYONE has ANY idea of where I can get more, do let me know.

Although the tube is splined to the torsion bar, I am 95% positive the t-bar is NOT removable from the tube.

Here are some pics of them

12810.jpg

31911King3.jpg

7151133.jpg

Edited by Slick

Those are not JCR bars. The JCR bars have a second set of adjusters the bolt to the frame. They are actually to sets of bars end to end. One set is a low spring rate and when it turns to its max the second set progressively increases your bottom out resistance.

I do see 2 sets of adjusters and the tube more than likely providing the higher spring rate but I do not know what they are. It also looks like you can still install regular T-bars if you want to. Obviously you loose the dual rate spring but you'd still be able to wheel it.

If I still had my files from the crash I would show you a picture of the JCR set-up.

Edited by MY1PATH

What is wrong with them?

they're 13 yrs old and shagged out.

Those are not JCR bars. The JCR bars have a second set of adjusters the bolt to the frame. They are actually to sets of bars end to end. One set is a low spring rate and when it turns to its max the second set progressively increases your bottom out resistance.

I do see 2 sets of adjusters and the tube more than likely providing the higher spring rate but I do not know what they are. It also looks like you can still install regular T-bars if you want to. Obviously you loose the dual rate spring but you'd still be able to wheel it.

If I still had my files from the crash I would show you a picture of the JCR set-up.

here is the reply I got from JCR this morning;

Rachel,

Yes, we made the two stage bars many years ago. I sold that company some time ago and I am not aware of anyone doing that any longer.

I would be glad to help you if I could.

Jim C

:(

I agree, they are not JCR 2 stage torsion bars, I had a set in my Hardbody, the JCR bars look like regular bars except they had a second set of splines on them with a block of metal that had a allen bolt screwed into it that engaged the bracket you bolted to one of the cross members. The only torsion bars I have seen that look like yours were made for Toyota's. The one's for the Toyota's used a sleeve (like yours) to engage the secondary splines. JCR and Nissan Motorsports were the only company's back than I know of that sold the 2 stage bars for the Nissan. Think they were all made by Sway A Way.

hard to see but here is a pic of the JCR 2 stage bars the one's in the center:

2dlkfv8.jpg

I spent about 2 hours searching the web for the torsion bars you have, I have seen them before, thought they may have been the same style Downey off-road made for the Toyota but I checked their old website using the internet time machine, Downey has closed shop 2009 I think, also checked on the NWOR (another Toyota site) and calmini site now and way back no one had that style bar, really aggravating because I've seen that style before, even dragged out an old Sway a Way catalog I have and they only list single stage bars. The sleeve on your torsion bars does come off the bar, they may not come off easily but they are not part of the bar.

Edited by ahardb0dy

The torsion bars are are 13 years old and bent. They have had the sheit beat out of them from all the wheeling I do, and they need to be replaced.

Well I guess you'll be getting some single stage bars

i am ordering some sway aways and praying to hell that these t bars come apart without anything getting damaged.

*edit* the tubes are fine, besides their mount brackets being squished as a pancake, the tube itself is in great shape, it's my driver side t-bar i flopped on a rock and bent.

Edited by Slick

There probably is some type of "C ring" that holds the outer tube to the inner bar, but you really don't have to worry about the old bars coming apart, since you are replacing them, just support the truck/a-arm properly and cut the old bars in half, that is if you can't get the outer sleeve off the old bars.

There probably is some type of "C ring" that holds the outer tube to the inner bar, but you really don't have to worry about the old bars coming apart, since you are replacing them, just support the truck/a-arm properly and cut the old bars in half, that is if you can't get the outer sleeve off the old bars.

I WOULD NOT CUT A PRELOADED TORSION BAR. If you are going to cut them back the adjuster all the way off first.

^that!

(and yes I have other motives as to why I agree :lol::shiftyeyes: )

you just want my lift :tongue:

i may text steven later today n see what kinda deal he'd cut me... :sssh: