4x4 operation

Guest mick2

Just bought a '97 P-finder automatic (70K miles) and have a question about the operation of the 4wd. Being a later generation design I can slip it into and out of 4H (2H to 4H & back) while driving up to 50 mph. Mine goes into 4H OK, but when I slip it back to 2H, it takes blocks before the 4x4 light goes out and it's disengaged. Is this normal? What is your experience (only with the later generation vehicles, please). Thanks!

mick

it has to do with driveline tension, the T-case won't disengage the front end until there is sufficient slack in the driveline. It's normal, you could try letting off the gas when shifting to 2wd, some people use this method to lessen the tension B)

my 97 may take a block or so to disengage - sooner if I can take the tension off the drivetrain. Try coasting in nuetral for a few seconds, that may speed up the disengage. Certainly if you stop, and especially if you back up, the system should disengage. If not you may have a problem, but what you describe sounds normal. The length of time/distance to disengage should vary based on throttle input (which is directly related to drivetrain load)

mike

Thanks, guys. I'd really like to hear from more of you who can provide info. from real experience. Mine will disengage eventually, but it can take forever. I can let off the gas, stop, go into reverse, and so on, and it just slips out of 4H at any random time. It might be within 1/2 a block, or anytime thereafter. So please give me more real life experiences so I can judge if mine is within the normal range. Note to those with '95's or earlier: this doesn't apply to you at all, you have a totally different system and your comments don't apply here. But, thanks to all for reading and giving this a shot.

mick

Sometimes my 98 takes awhile too. Sometimes it's right away no big deal...... "slippage" helps.....when you shift from 4H to 2 give it a little gas to spin your tires and it'll "slip" out of 4H. ;)

Thanks, guys. I'd really like to hear from more of you who can provide info. from real experience. Mine will disengage eventually, but it can take forever. I can let off the gas, stop, go into reverse, and so on, and it just slips out of 4H at any random time. It might be within 1/2 a block, or anytime thereafter. So please give me more real life experiences so I can judge if mine is within the normal range. Note to those with '95's or earlier: this doesn't apply to you at all, you have a totally different system and your comments don't apply here. But, thanks to all for reading and giving this a shot.

mick

Yep, same thing for me. I have never had to back up to get it to disengage, it will do it by itself eventually. Another thing to keep in mind is that the more traction the surface you're driving on has, the more tension is put on the driveline, and therefore it will take longer to disengage. In snow, mine disengages almost immediately, but if I'm in 4wd on wet pavement (I almost never do this, it only happens if I've come off of a snow covered back street to a plowed main road), it will take longer. And most of these pre 96 guys are pretty knowledgeable about later pathys (just like many of us R50 guys know a bit about the WD21's :D ), so they can still give good imput as to the causes, though they may or may not have personal experience with R50's ;) No reason to count them out :)

Hey man Im glad that someone posted this question. I have the same problem with my 97. I found that if im in 4X and want to go into 2X ill put into overdrive off and accelerate till it shifts then back off the accelerator, this usually works for me when i come on to a paved road from a trail. If your on a trail and just used 4x to go through a hole or rough part put it in 2x and get the tires to spin a bit. This also usually works. Try this let me know how it works for you.

Guest djyamyam
Just bought a '97 P-finder automatic (70K miles) and have a question about the operation of the 4wd. Being a later generation design I can slip it into and out of 4H (2H to 4H & back) while driving up to 50 mph. Mine goes into 4H OK, but when I slip it back to 2H, it takes blocks before the 4x4 light goes out and it's disengaged. Is this normal? What is your experience (only with the later generation vehicles, please). Thanks!

mick

Here's another link that should answer your question.

http://www.4x4parts.com/ubbthreads/showfla...&fpart=all&vc=1

i'll add my thoughts on this even though the topic has pretty much been covered. I have a '97 and yea, sometimes when you come out of 4x the light'll stay on for a bit, sometimes not. And yes, i've read all over that if you change your RPMs or turn or break or shift it'll make the light go out. And yep, it does. Not always using the same method but it'll go out eventually- just be patient. it's all good and working the way it should.