Broken wire to trans?

Okay, so, there are two wires coming out (looks like, didn't trace with my hand) of the trans. They go into the top of this grey plug, and apparently three wires are supposed to come out of the bottom, one black and two white. (It's up against the fuel/brake/etc lines on the passenger's side frame rail, but the multitude of zip ties suggest that it wasn't meant to go there.)

P1010055-1.jpg

As you can see, the black one is busted off. (I'm assuming that one of the lugs was originally empty?)

In an attempt to figure out what it was, I followed the bundle into the engine bay, past this plug,

P1010054.jpg

and a wad of electrical tape (previous owner?), into the main harness going through the passenger's side of the firewall.

It doesn't seem to be driving funny, shifting funny, etc. I haven't tried pulling codes yet. I do plan to repair this (is there a right way to do this?), but I'd kinda like to know what I'm looking at.

Thanks in advance. :)

Thanks guys. :) Adamzan, what's wrong with them? Apart from the wiring, I mean.

Towncivilian, it's amazing what a pressure washer can do. :) Previous owner had every cranny on this thing full of pine needles...

My friend put one on his truck and he found that moisture kept getting into the connection and corroding it. Then again I live in Canada so maybe our climate is what ruins them.

Oxygen sensor it is... wires went right over the trans to a lug on the exhaust. Given the attention to detail of the guy who re-did my exhaust, the plug thing was probably his work.

I figured I'd just solder it up, but the wire from the harness wouldn't take solder. I couldn't cut it, either, it just slid between the blades. I'm not sure just what it's made of, definitely not copper though. Anyway, I reused the little screw connectors I found inside what I'd thought was a plug, and the connections feel solid.

P1010004-13.jpg

I'll run the codes tonight or tomorrow to make sure I did it right, and then glob some grease over the ends to keep water etc out. Thanks guys!

And Silverton, yeah, I found a Sharpie. :D That, and I've seen way too many bad sci-fi movies; I don't want to be the guy opening the hood, seeing steam, and saying "the engine is broken."

I think our O2 sensors only have two wires? So quite possibly you don't need that other wire connected. Hopefully you have the correct two wires connected at least :) Check at the connector you found in the engine bay? How many wires does it have?

This thread makes me glad I bought the "custom fit" O2 sensor :)

And Silverton, yeah, I found a Sharpie. :D That, and I've seen way too many bad sci-fi movies; I don't want to be the guy opening the hood, seeing steam, and saying "the engine is broken."

That kinda makes me wanna see a pic of the rest of your engine bay!

LOL not much to see, only other thing I labelled is the AC circuit (compressor and filler). I'll label more as I figure out what it does/run out of real things to fix. :)

P1010013-6.jpg

The only other notable thing under the hood is where my friends and I spray painted Bill Murray's head.

P1010016-3.jpg

:fish:

I printed off the "how to read computer codes" today, so I'll check the computer tomorrow and make sure my hack wiring job is working. I did squirt some dielectric grease into the connections to keep them clean and dry, and wrapped it up in electrical tape. Now it blends in with the rest of the wiring.

(And yes, the connector in the engine bay is three-wire.)