Which Is better R50 or WD21

4doordrift

Oh boy... we might as well burn down the forum now, while we're ahead.

Nice!!

Its hard to blame Nissan for something that is put on roads and is known to eat steel. Im near the ocean, but I dont drive in it.

*snort*

I swim in it, but I shower afterwards...

B

The best truck is an R50 with the VG33E. It is reliable, powerful, efficient, and has the ability to be modded well enough to take on off-road terrain. They look like crap stock but when you put decent meats on them and taller coils they look amazing. The whole frame-less thing is a bunch of garbage because the R50 does have an internal frame underneath that uni-body. The R50 is at least twice as tough as a WD21 in stock form! They also come with OBD II computers, which probably can be re-programmed to do what you want. Put VG30E cams in that VG33E motor and you are flying! VG powered R50 all the way and this is coming from a WD21 owner. The only reason I still like my WD21 is the lack of bull@!*% safety devices like airbags and the minimal emissions control system. Eventually I may go with a VG powered R50 though after WD21's get too old.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The R50 is at least twice as tough as a WD21 in stock form! % safety devices like airbags and the minimal emissions control system. Eventually I may go with a VG powered R50 though after WD21's get too old.

I am curious how everyone feels about this?

WD21 is superior for the following reasons:

1. Shocks and springs => not struts. I learned to despise McPherson struts about a quarter century ago.

2. Full frame => unibody is for cars, not trucks. . .

3. No ABS

4. No Traction control

5. No Airbags

The last three are personal preference. I don't like bandaid solutions for problems that don't exist

Oh, and 6. No daytime running lights. . .

I am curious how everyone feels about this?

Probably differently.

The R50 has the advantage of a stronger motor and a more robust steering system, thats about it. The unibody makes it better on the road than the WD21, although they are still offroad capable. The R50 feels more like a solid vehicle due to it's construction rather than the solid frame with chassis sitting on it feel of the WD21. FYI, the WD21 has the minimal emissions control system of the two by far. :rolleyes:

I'm in a good position to compare since I own both. That said, I prefer my WD21 but in the future will probably build a 2004 pathy.

B

I have never off-roaded in an R50 but judging from the size, the WD-21 will work much better on overgrown skidder trails. If all your offroading is confined to semi-arid areas with sparse forest cover, then the size factor may not matter that much.