Timing Belt question

MrT

I'm going on a driving/camping vacation in a week so I decided the weekend before was a good time to change my timing belt. I got this Pathy with 99,500 miles on the odo. and now have 150,000, so I had no idea what shape it was going to be in. The belt itself looks fine. It's non-Nissan so it was obviously changed before. The problem is that no matter how many times I turn the crank, with #1 at TDC the LH camshaft sprocket is always one tooth off from the dimple.

This bank has always given me issues with running a little lean and misfiring occasionally at idle. Could this be the cause or am I missing something.

Please advise...

Crsproc.jpg

LHCam.jpg

RHCam.jpg

The info you need is:

Between LH & RH Camshaft sproket timing marks - 40 teeth

Between LH Camshaft Sproket and Crankshaft timing marks - 43 teeth

hope this helps i had the same problem but i counted the teeth

Just to update. It was def off a tooth. Adjusted it and now it runs like a champ with no misfire. The PO screwed the pooch on that one. I got this as a repo so half of me thinks it might have been intentional (everyone seems to do their own work around these parts). I'm just glad I did this and it's finally fixed. I've been beating my head against a wall for two years to get this thing running properly and I feel like I'm 90% there now. Just need to replace a the LH CV and fix my buggered exhaust.

Thanks for all the help!

P.S. On the plus side since this thing had a bad MAF and this timing issue I got it for $2500 under blue book and now that I have it running correctly it's blue book price is more than what I have in it after two years of driving it around.

Edited by MrT

This happened to my dads pathy. The morons at the shop told me it was fine but I tore it all apart again and discovered the same thing! Ran fine for the most part but SES light would flash if you let it idle for more than a minute!

if you look right over the top of the AC condenser (in the gap between condenser and radiator support) at the cam gear marks, they look ALLOT closer than any other angle you can look at.

that being said, Tooth count is a good way to be certain. :)

The dimples usually don't line up, but yeah the driver's cam is too far off.

Oops, I actually didn't even see the marks in that final picture, yeah too far!

Anyway, sounds like you got it licked! Nice.

This happened to my dads pathy. The morons at the shop told me it was fine but I tore it all apart again and discovered the same thing! Ran fine for the most part but SES light would flash if you let it idle for more than a minute!

Interesting. What kind of shop are we talking about? Private, chain, dealer? Just curious. Am trying to figure out what kind of service companies screw up most often.

Interesting. What kind of shop are we talking about? Private, chain, dealer? Just curious. Am trying to figure out what kind of service companies screw up most often.

Private shop, they insisted it was fine, even took it apart again to look. But I guess either they had wrong info or they kept miscounting teeth.