homemade bodylift wd21

tsin

is there someone who made bodylift at home? i want to make 3 centimetres silon blocks but dont know the shape of supporting surfaces..

have you got some technical drawing to make it right?

They are essentially flat and circular, with a rubber isolator pad on one side. Delrin or UHMW PolyEthylene might work, I don't know about poly carb though, may be too brittle. I know someone in Australia had some aluminum ones made. I've heard a lot of bad feed back about using hockey pucks though, what are they made of??

Point is that unless you have some free resources, by the time you get the material, cut, finish and drill it, source your bolts and whatnot, you are probably most of the way to the cost of an aftermarket lift. :shrug:

B

I've heard a lot of bad feed back about using hockey pucks though, what are they made of??

B

IIRC on an episode of "How It's Made", they are made of EPDM rubber? EPDM has terrible physical properties btw.

hockey pucks work for diy body lifts

Horrible suggestion :thumbsdown: the 80s are long over... Hockey pucks are bad and you look odd jamming to Gator Country.

B has the basics down with the whole "unless you got a bunch of free recources you might end up paying just as much/more than a kit MADE for it" thought. I have nothing against trying to save a fiew bucks and make something yourself, but not only material cost has to be thought of, you still gotta factor in time sourcing and making stuff fit. IIRC there was someone who ordered a 1" (a couple hairs shy of the 3cm you were looking for) and ended up not using it and trying to sell it. Might be worth a browse through the for sale section here. I could be mistaken though for someone talking about a 1" and someone else selling a 2"

pucks will split after a few years. they are made out of polyurethane with a hardnest of 40 with a rubber shell, another alternative is to make molds and use liquid poyurethane called devcon/80, dont get the 90 or your rig will vibrate like a mofo due to it being really hard, i used the this for making solid motor mounts and have made several sets and all have held up one, set was installed in a 800hp camaro, hockey puck were only suggested because it would be the cheaped if you had to buy any items or supplies,devcon cost about 45$ a quart

Edited by WarehouseRat

... they are made out of polyurethane with a hardnest of 40 with a rubber shell ...

Actually, they are made from vulcanized rubber. I think that it is either EPDM or natural rubber? The hardness could be 40 durometer (shore A) which makes sense for something that will be on a frozen surface most of the time. While I don't make hockey pucks for a living, I do work in a lab at a custom rubber mixer. :sleeping:

*edit ... good ole' Wiki!

Edited by devonianwalk

I know someone in Australia had some aluminum ones made.

B

That's me, have had 6 made so far, but I have access to trade cost material and a full CNC machine shop. I uses Ø50mm solid ali round bar, 4 of mine were 50mm (2") tall, 2 were only 30mm tall. If you can get aluminium, it would be preferable.