Used bush bar purchase

erathge

Hey everyone. Someone who lives not too far from me is selling this used bush bar on Kijiji. I'm not able to go look at it in person (it's a little too far) but could possibly have someone pick it up for me. He is asking 200 OBO for it. He says that it came off of a 1997, but should fit other models as well. I have a 2000, can anyone confirm this? He says that it mounts on the front tow hooks. I'm not sure if the lights come with it, and it looks a little bent at the bottom but do you guys think its a good deal at 200 OBO? How much do you think it would weigh down the stock front suspension?

Thanks everyone!

[DSC01117.jpg

Thanks guys, if i can get it for 150, it might be worth it. Do you think it would make a noticeable difference in weighing down the front end with the stock suspension? I'm thinking of buying strut spacers anyways after i install the OME rear springs (922) that i have on order right now.

Edited by erathge

Personally, I'd never pay over $50 for a bent brush guard...with the PIAA it might be different, but really, you're not going to really gain anything from buying it. The bumper I made for my wd21 did not noticeably weight the front down (although it weights close to 80 lbs), fyi.

On the bent piece there looks to be some rust where the paint is chipped off. So that piece and anything it's welded to is steel. FourXfour parts lists different part numbers at different prices for 96-99 and 99.5-04 pathfinder push bars which leads me to believe there is something significantly different between the two. Perhaps just how it's formed to the body lines and such, it still might bolt on, but it may look a little off if you know what I mean.

The bumper I made for my wd21 did not noticeably weight the front down (although it weights close to 80 lbs), fyi.

wd21 got a completly different front suspension than a r50. Struts might react a little differently to some extra weight than torsion bars.

IIRC pre and post facelift r50 stuff like that will kinda interchange, one way works (just not 'completly' cosmetically line up) but I don't remember which way works-which way don't.

I have that same brush guard on mine and mines a 96. Whether it fits a 00-04 i'm not sure. Mine is steel and has a few rust spots and has actually saved the whole front end of my truck during an accident. I noticed a difference in it seeming to weigh down the front a little after I first put it on, but it is an insignificant difference in comparison to the new look it gives. I only paid around $150 for mine used.

On the bent piece there looks to be some rust where the paint is chipped off. So that piece and anything it's welded to is steel.

Great eye! My stock brush guard (aluminum) top bar is welded in between the verticle mounts. The one pictured is welded outside of the head light guards. And yes, I too see the rust ... now. :stickwack:

FourXfour parts lists different part numbers at different prices for 96-99 and 99.5-04 pathfinder push bars which leads me to believe there is something significantly different between the two. Perhaps just how it's formed to the body lines and such, it still might bolt on, but it may look a little off if you know what I mean.

The difference with the model years is that the 99.5 - 04 Pathy's have a rounder front clip. The body was not changed much (cosmetically).

Edited by devonianwalk

I bought mine for 75 and that bottom bar wasn't bent, I wouldn't give him a dime over 75 if it had no rust with that bent bar. Finding one without that bottom bar bent if they left the concrete is going to be hard. And yes all brush guards with that mount will fit all 96-04. If they are tow hook mount. And they bolt on in place of the tow hooks. Some go under iirc, and some on top. I deleted my hooks completely when I put my guard on and added an additional steel plate with loops in them for added strength.

I bought mine for 75 and that bottom bar wasn't bent, I wouldn't give him a dime over 75 if it had no rust with that bent bar. Finding one without that bottom bar bent if they left the concrete is going to be hard. And yes all brush guards with that mount will fit all 96-04. If they are tow hook mount. And they bolt on in place of the tow hooks. Some go under iirc, and some on top. I deleted my hooks completely when I put my guard on and added an additional steel plate with loops in them for added strength.

Man, things are so much more expensive in Canada though! We get ripped off! You should keep your eyes open for one in the Spokane area for me, im coming down to Spokane to fly out of the airport in early August. I just live up in Nelson, BC, its only like 3 hours away. Getting one for 75 ish would be amazing.

I dont think im going to end up purchasing this one anyways, its a little too far away, dont think i can get someone up there to look at it for me. Its definitely not worth the 4 hour drive at that price! Thanks for everyones help though! Im going to be keeping my eyes out for one still.

I will keep an eye out. Mine isn't from a pathy, or even an import. Mine is from a durango. The brackets were about 1 inch wider on either side, but I just used steel plates bent them to fit and welded them. And the bully bar towers come right to the inside of the head lights instead of leaving them completely exposed. I also cut my light hoops off since they did more damage than anything once I hit the tree. I will eventually reattach them, but they will attach at the bumper for strength.

i have the exact same one, when i bought my pathy, i took it to work the next day and a co-worker had it sitting in his garage he said he used to have it on his but he didnt like it so i went and picked it up for 50 dollars canadian, fliped it for 25$ new paint, primer, sand paper. and im so glad i bought it cause after a week of it on i was driving home and a deer jumped out infront of me and i drove away damage free, poor deer had a horrible death, RIP.

I rear ended a late 90's Toyota Celica (my fault .. shame on me!) and came away with just a busted driving light lense. My aluminum brush guard took the blunt of the impact on the verticle mount which IMO saved the guard. The Toyota was heavily damaged as it was loaded down in the back. Only good thing that came out of the collision was that the Celica's illegal driver was arrested and deported after I had to chase him down while calling the po-po's to report my own accident.

• Like 2

I have a westin. The verticals are pure brute, but the light loops gave out completely when I hit a stum at 10mph. Smashed up the bumper, coolant tank, light, fender. If it had been a deer at full speed or a vehicle I'm sure the verticals would have kept their shape, but that would be it.

wd21 got a completly different front suspension than a r50. Struts might react a little differently to some extra weight than torsion bars.

IIRC pre and post facelift r50 stuff like that will kinda interchange, one way works (just not 'completly' cosmetically line up) but I don't remember which way works-which way don't.

Yep.

I assumed worse case scenario the r50 has a softer suspension, and that brush guard is much lighter than my bumper, hence my observation

save your money and keep an eye out for an ARB like dududuckling's :wub: The steel WAAG brush guard will save you damage from a small deer though.