Black coating in cargo area

sewebster

I need to patch my floor in the cargo area. I pulled the carpet up and everything is coated in this black stuff? Anyone know the best way to remove it? Grinding it off seems messy... maybe heat and scrape?

The 3mm thick hard rubber @!*% where (at least on my pathy) rust seems to only generate under it? I used a hammer and a chisel.

Ugh, sounds like a good time. Yeah, it's that stuff, rust concealer.

If this is what I'm thinking of (tar-like substance holding down the padding under the carpets), heat and scrape will take forever and you'll still have some left over. You'd probably get it out faster/better with the dry ice. Just don't asphyxiate yourself.

It's still soft in my 95, at least under the carpet on the rear wheel wells. Maybe it hardens up given another four years? Or maybe they used different stuff?

Interesting. Maybe there is some different stuff out there. I think mine has a small amount of black "goo" at the very rear, but then when you pull the carpet up almost the entire cargo area has a thick hard black plastic coating, not gooey at all. I'll see if I can get some pics this afternoon.

You must have a black truck, and that's why you're calling it black, mine is body color!

DSCN7294.jpg

This is the stuff I'm talking about, and keeps the carpet over the wheel wells in place.

DSCN7295.jpg

Ah yeah, different things. I didn't pull up the carpet over the wheel wells, could be goo under there. Yeah, my truck is black :)

Anyway, the chipping hammer did a good job of removing it, as did a hammer and cold chisel without any freezing. It seemed fairly brittle, possibly because of age.