Hello - Newbie Here!

Hi there.

Planning a 1994 diesel R3M Terrano project so thought NPORA would be the ideal place to get some answers to some questions that I have! I used to have a 1994 SE V6 Pathy, but wheeled her too hard, and what with the frame rot, bust steering, bent suspension, engine in need of a rebuild etc etc etc, its an easier and more cost effective job to use it as a parts truck and start again from the beginning.

So now I'm going to build a Terrano. Not sure why, lol, but I fancy the same truck as a diesel.

Lots of questions, but I'm sure you guys can help.

Cheers

Dieselboy

Welcome! There's plenty of info round here that should help you on your voyage. Might have to bug the overseas people for help with that diesel though, them not exactly being the norm over here. Why not put both togher and have 2? :lol:

And don't be shy to throw a couple pics up, we like pics here :aok:

Thanks for the welcome guys.

Still waiting for to close the deal on the Terrano, but thought I'd start doing my homework now. My old Pathy was a good beast and saw me through some pretty tough wheeling in the Rocky Mountain foothills here in Alberta. 3" SL, rear sway bar discos, 31x10.5R15s on Lego Wheels. But fixing her up is one of those effort versus time versus money issues, you either have one or the other, and frequently neither! Having learned what I have from that truck though I can transfer lots of the mods over to the new rig, plus build it up to the expedition truck that I want.

Still debating rim/tire size/back space issues with a 3+3 lift (got an AC 3" body lift kit sat in my garage that was meant to go on my last truck before it died). Seems there's a lot of debate here but concrete answers are hard to find. Any suggestion would be more than welcome!

i wish the diesels were legal here in the states :( be a great winter runner here. glad you will not just be junking your baby, but transplanting some goodies to your new project. :aok: always nice to see that.

As Josh said, the Australian & New Zealand crew will be very helpful to you in the diesel project, as they are not legal here, we know little about actually working on one.

Welcome to the forums!

Yes, been checking out some of the posts from down under. From what I can make out though, its pretty much mostly the power plant that differs. Will be a steep learning curve for sure though!

Shame they're not legal south of the 49th parallel. Guess its the 25yr old limit on importing vehicles into the US. 15 years here in Canada, but the government keeps talking about introducing a 25 year limit here too . . . because of "safety". Yeah, as if a 25 year old RHD truck was safer than a 15 year old RHD truck!? More like protectionism.

Welcome Bud and good luck with your build. I completely understand sticking with a solid vehicle you like and understand, I'm on my second WD21 myself. I'm sure you'll get up to speed on the diesel motor soon enough, they are actually simpler than a gas motor. As for lifts, back spacing and tire size, start with what size tire you intend to run and work backwards from there... ;)

B

:welcome:

Another Diesel, nice. Post some pics as soon as you close the deal and wish you all the best.

Diesel's are much simple than gas as far as I can see here and you are lucky with all the spares you have for the body... ;)

Welcome,

Love seeing new diesels joining the site, mines also a diesel so i "might" be able to help in some areas,

but theres a growing amount of diesels on the site, you should find everything your looking for.

good luck,

-Daniel

yep, working on TD27T maintenance here to....

I never knew they import laws were that different in the states. thats why its so hard to find parts here....

But I've actually been searching for JDM parts that I need lately, and we have quite a few JDM parts dealers here in Canada, especially in BC, so you should be ok. A couple of them have been very helpful getting parts for me, and deal directly with Nissan Japan. here's a couple links, that i have done business with and have been the most helpful:

http://www.jdmparts.ca/index.php

http://www.rockymountainimports.net/index.php

like you said, it seems most parts are compatable with the Pathfinder, besides engine parts, or anything related to the engine. And it does seem that some Pathfinder parts from the same year vehicles, will have different parts between different models, as they have different part #'s for some parts that differ from model to model. If you come across a part that has different part #'s for each model, I have found if I select the 4WD/ST "standard transmission", that parts will match my truck. Although I have just found out that a automatic transmission Terrano TD27T is rather unique, so if you get a manual, I'm not sure how that will work for you. I do know the parts designated for the Pathfinder SE, dont seem to fit on my truck. So depending which Pathfinder you have as a parts truck, I'm not sure how well all the parts will match up for you, but most should be ok.

EDIT- I see you will be using a Pathfinder SE as a parts truck. you may run into some surprises, but most should fit ok i think. and at least you wont have to order parts from Nissan Canada, just to find out they dont match.

Sorry I cant be of better help. I'm learning as I go. Dont have much mechanical background.

Cant wait to see your truck though...

good luck with everything.

Josh

Edited by shasdakota

• 2 months later...

Been a while searching for a Terrano, but looks like I've finally found one out on Vancouver Island - 1992 TD27T automatic transmission, 170,000km for CDN$5800

1052731.jpg

Been talking to the dealer who's selling it as its a long way to drive from Alberta out to the Wet Coast just to go look at a truck on the off chance! Seems that for a rig that age she's really clean of rust and runs smoothly. Only concern is that according to the sales guy's report it idles a bit rough. Knowing zip about diesel engines (hopefully that's going to change soon!) I wonder if this is a serious issue.

What is the main cause of rough idling on this motors?

Will a good tune up likely sort this out? Should I get them to do it or buy the truck and drive it back to Alberta and get it done here?

Any advice would be very useful before I take a road trip to British Columbia.

Thanks guys - Mark F (aka Dieselboy)

OK - update. No go on this truck.

Rough idle, trany problems, issues with ball joints, tie rod ends and wheel bearings, strange electrical gremlins.

At least the dealer was honest to give me a run down of negative points. None of these things is too bad, but if I'm going to buy a truck for close to $6000, even of this vintage, I want it to be a bit smoother than that, specially if I'm going to drive it half way across western Canada to get it home.

Anyway, if anyone is interested in it, check out Bluenose Motor Company in Parksville, Vancouver Island, British Columbia.

The search continues . . .

Dieselboy