1987 D21 Pickup

bmitchell

Hey guys, wasn't sure where to put this since 1) it isn't a Pathfinder and 2) it is really just some photos.

These are some pictures from my D21 Z24i project. It started as a head gasket replacement but I've got parts to go ahead and swap out some of the timing system (tensioner, new chain, and a bushel of gaskets). It is also a learning experience for me.

Here they are.

For reference, this is the external view of the truck.

pickupk.jpg

intakex.jpg

Where the intake manifold was.

camshafttiming.jpg

Camshaft and timing chain.

waterpump.jpg

Where the water pump was. Look at that grime.

camshaft.jpg

Another shot of the camshaft.

exhaustl.jpg

Where the exhaust manifold was.

exhaustcrack.jpg

You can see the large crack in the exhaust pipe.

wiringg.jpg

Some wiring, just for ambiance.

Ben

Edited by bmitchell

Nope, not at all, especially coming from the Z24. The kingcab 4x4 I had suffered from the 4th gear blues on every hill. The power output is somewhere between a mortally wounded hamster and an electric toothbrush. (106hp from the factory IIFC)

The VG30 is a powerhouse compared, especially when you upgrade intake and headers.

Weren't you the one that mentioned a 139hp 302 V8?? Now that's gutless!!

B

I drove a D720 with a Z24 for 10 years, theyu are solid, reliable gutless little motors. Good luck with the project, just remember to take your time...

B

And the vg30 is not?

the z24 is a reliable lethargic little bastage but it will get the job done.

and I went from a ka to a vg, I never knew what 5th gear was on a level until then!

the z24 is a reliable lethargic little bastage but it will get the job done.

That is possibly the best description I've ever heard.

I have the FSM for the 87 Pickup/pathfinder if you need anything scanned.

Thanks - I finally got my hands on a Haynes (Chilton was royally ticking me off) and I think I've got everything I need for the specific things I'm doing - but I'll let you know when I mess up my vacuum line connections.

Ben

I hadn't realized the rocker assembly was all that was holding the camshaft down - I went to break the nut on the sprocket and I couldn't get enough force since the cam just kep on lifting up. Had to tighten the rocker assembly back on there to get enough torque to get that dang nut loose. Live and learn.

Ben

I hadn't realized the rocker assembly was all that was holding the camshaft down - I went to break the nut on the sprocket and I couldn't get enough force since the cam just kep on lifting up. Had to tighten the rocker assembly back on there to get enough torque to get that dang nut loose. Live and learn.

Ben

There are some flats on the cams that you can theoretically put a wrench on, but it has always slipped off for me. I find that jamming something in between the flat and the head works, like an appropriately sized bolt. Of course if you have the timing belt on, or the rear cover off (there is a bolt back there) then that works too.

Thanks - I finally got my hands on a Haynes (Chilton was royally ticking me off) and I think I've got everything I need for the specific things I'm doing - but I'll let you know when I mess up my vacuum line connections.

Ben

FSM wins hand over fist compared to Chilton or Haynes... might wanna take him up on that offer man :aok:

Nope, not at all, especially coming from the Z24. The kingcab 4x4 I had suffered from the 4th gear blues on every hill. The power output is somewhere between a mortally wounded hamster and an electric toothbrush. (106hp from the factory IIFC)

The VG30 is a powerhouse compared, especially when you upgrade intake and headers.

Weren't you the one that mentioned a 139hp 302 V8?? Now that's gutless!!

B

Yep, I also metioned that my 76 monte 305 only made 140hp... Tourqe is what its aboot.

FSM wins hand over fist compared to Chilton or Haynes... might wanna take him up on that offer man :aok:

Unless he wants to scan in all the pages concerning head and timing I haven't run into anything specifically challenging yet.

:broken:

Ben

Edited by bmitchell

Time for an update.

Spent a few hours today loosening more bolts.

headremoved.jpg

Here is the Z24i headless. The wooden block idea is pretty absurd to me. I've heard rumors of a tensioner that precludes its necessity but never seen one for sale anywhere.

pistonsa.jpg

The pistons.

dirtypiston.th.jpgwipedpiston.th.jpg

The pistons were dirty - the one on the right I wiped with a shop rag to show the difference.

head3l.jpg

The head.

head2o.jpg

Again.

head1qh.jpg

Again.

So now I'm done with that step. Time to hit the shower and maybe run down to OReilly to see if they have a cheap pulley puller for the crankshaft pulley and maybe a 1/2" breaker bar for the crankshaft bolt (so I can remove the timing cover and muck around in there). With the truck in high gear and e-brake engaged, when I torque down on the bolt the pulley still moves about ten degrees. I suppose I'll have to align the cam timing anyway once I put the new chain on so this isn't a big deal.

Ben

Well, with the big breaker bar and a cheater pipe and a prybar extension (bout 3 1/2 ft total force multiplication) I have succeeded in turning the crankshaft but it is not still enough to budge the pulley bolt. Trans is in gear with the brake on. I'm looking into a chain wrench to hold the pulley still.

Ben

Man, you need an impact gun. It makes the job of breaking loose the crankshaft bolt so much easier. It's not about torque. It's about the impact vibration freeing the stuck bolt while not turning the crankshaft.

Man, you need an impact gun. It makes the job of breaking loose the crankshaft bolt so much easier. It's not about torque. It's about the impact vibration freeing the stuck bolt while not turning the crankshaft.

Yep. Buying a $100 electric impact wrench has been worth it so many times for me, just for this one bolt. Now if only I didn't have to keep taking it off...

This man speaks wise words... I'm personally spoiled when it comes to tool access but he explained it perfectly why an impact would be your winning tool here

I picked up a 110 volt electric impact at harbor freight on sale for $39.95 it's saved my butt many times. Your block looks like a rebuild, thats an old chevy blue engine color before they started painting them black.

James

I found out tonight that my neighbor has an impact wrench so I should be set once we can get things going there.

I've seen photos of another Z24 (or maybe a KA24) that was the same color. Who knows.

Ben

Edited by bmitchell

That did it - impact wrench popped it right loose once I got things out of the way.

timing.jpg

frontyg.jpg

Did the rear brakes on my pathy too - someone had put some bailing wire on one of the calipers because I guess it was missing the bolt - serves me right for checking the pads through the wheel and not actually pulling them off to see. Well, there was a piece of broken bolt still in there so I hit it with penetrant dremeled a slot in it, came right out. Happened to have a similar sized bolt - will be ordering the right one to replace it for good.

Ben

Yeah, I should have photoed it but I was a little more than ticked at the time and didn't really feel like doing anything but resolving the issue. It wasn't so much holding it on as holding it down - the other bolt was in and fine, so the wire was just keeping it from flailing. Well, the wire was broken, so it was doing the flailing...

Anyway, the valves are out:

valves.jpg

headsansvalves.jpg

Ben