Prayer request for flood victims

JamesRich

Please keep all the people along the Mississippi river in your prayers, we need them. The high water has already affected many people up north but down here we have been sitting here waiting going nuts with anticipation. Today the corp will open the morganza spillway which will flood out thousands of homes. They will open it to help lower the Mississippi river so it doesn't reroute it's self through St Martin parish. They haven't opened this lock in over 40 years so lots of people have built homes and camps inside the levee system. I understand it's nice to have a camp or home on the water but levees were built for a reason so stay on the outside of them. The whole Atchafalaya basin swamp will be a large lake for a while.

As long as the levees for the Mississippi and the Atchafalaya river hold I will be ok but if the levees give way the corp says it will flood all the way to a town thats 40 miles past me so my house will probably go with it. I think my next mod for the pathy will be pontoons!

James

The worst part, and biggest B.S. of it all is that insurance will pay for rebuilding everything. They should never be allowed to rebuild in those areas, so next time no one is whining for prayers.

I'm really hoping that you and your neighbors/friends aren't affected!!

They haven't opened this lock in over 40 years so lots of people have built homes and camps inside the levee system.

Honestly, these people I have zero sympathy for, that is plain stupid. We have a river just to the north, the Russian river that floods out a couple of towns out near the coast every 10 years and every time people moan about it. I call them idiots for building/buying in an obvious flood plain in a narrow valley.

GG is right.

I just bought a house and there were certain criteria. I am at 135ft elevation with land sloping down to the south (1/4 mile away is 100ft elevation) that continues to the head of the nearest river (20 miles away) that empties into the San Francisco bay 40 miles away. I am 20 miles from the Pacific coast wwith a range of barrier hills between me and the beaches. If my house ever floods, something has gone hellishly wrong and it is probably the least of my worries.

Of course, a good earthquake could change all that... :shrug:

B

Waits for B too bitch about mud slides!!

Cant agree with the reason behind people building houses in flood plains but maybe we'll cull the heard of morons.

Having dealt with flooding in the past few years(Not even in a flood plain, just big rain falls in spring) I can under stand the trouble and only hope no buddy gets hurt/killed.

Building in a flood zone isn't a big deal down here, most of the southern part of the state is considered a flood zone. Building inside a levee system is just stupid. I'm a little over 20 miles from the west levee and at 36 feet elevation so I will be ok as long as the levees hold. The community of Butte Larose is inside the levees and they are predicting 15 feet of water. The corp basically told everyone to pack like they were never coming back so they might not let them build there again. A guy I work with claims the corp buys property after bad floods like this one and makes refuges out of them so no one can build there again. Thats the other problem, the Atchafalaya basin swamp is a refuge so when the water comes up we will have deer, black bear, cougars, alligators, and a whole lot of snakes heading for the safe cover of everyones back yard. And of course they won't let us shoot them and have a big ol Fais do do! Laissez les bon temps rouler!

James

Ahh, I understand better now. Cali has flood areas, but plenty of elevation too.

As for 'reclaiming' the land, I'm actually for that. Deer can always be taken (think 22 or crossbow), black bear are only a problem when food/trash is left around, cougars will stay the hell away (trust me) but alligators and venomous snakes I'm not used to dealing with so I'll leave you to it. You carry anyway... ;)

B

Hell the corp blew a levee in Missouri on purpose and flooded many homes and plenty of farm land to alleviate some flooding downstream.

Good luck man

Instead of blowing a levee down here the corp is opening the Morganza spillway. It's going to do the same thing though, flood a bunch of homes and marsh land to help lower the river. The difference is this spillway was setup for this reason, the homes that are getting flooded out shouldn't be there.

I bet there will be one senile old fart who sticks around and gets washed away.

You right! So far one old guy in Butte Larose said he's staying but not to worry because he has plenty of wine.

James

• 2 weeks later...

they should have just flooded out new orleans again, it's a scum city anyway that doesn't deserve to even exist

way to save a pile of @!*% while flooding out something that can be somewhat productive

It looks like New Orleans might get it again! A guy I work with went there last week and said the water is so high that the waves in the Mississippi splash water over the levee, and the crest is supposedly still a week away. It won't bother me either if it floods again, everyone I knew that lived there got the hell out last time.

James