Power steering cooler

Anybody know if adding a small stacked plate power steering cooler would reduce the hydraulic pressure for the power steering enough to adversely affect anything? R51s have a steering cooler. That model power steering pump has lower maximum pressure (1160-1276 psi) vs. my pump which has 1251-1337 psi. The R51s appear to have a simple metal tube at the radiator to serve as a cooler, and the cooler I have in mind from the junkyard is a stacked plate cooler I believe. However, I don't know whether this will prove that a steering cooler will not affect the pressure significantly in my R50. The only way to be certain is a gauge I'd imagine, but anybody have any input?

Any hydraulic fluid can be cooled, but what's the reason behind this? I've never even thought of cooling the power steering fluid and even after a hard day of wheeling it's still fairly cool to the touch in the reservoir. I can see the purpose on a high performance track car... do you track your Pathfinder? :lol:

It wouldn't affect the pressure in the system, but given the extra volume you would need more fluid (obviously).

Primarily boredom is the key factor in attempting this. Plus it's cheap, and who said overkill was bad? :P

A 3.3L R50 at the junkyard has a small transmission cooler which I may repurpose as a power steering cooler. Maybe it'd be too large for the application, not sure.

Primarily boredom is the key factor in attempting this. Plus it's cheap, and who said overkill was bad? :P

A 3.3L R50 at the junkyard has a small transmission cooler which I may repurpose as a power steering cooler. Maybe it'd be too large for the application, not sure.

Interesting, but what's the pressure on the low pressure side of the p/s system? Is it low enough for the trany cooler to handle? Is the tranny cooler designed to handle any significant pressure? Or dose tranny fluid just sort of cycle through? The hoses for my AT fluid cooler don't look like they can withstand any pressure at all, (just soft rubber) which leads me to believe the cooler can't withstand much pressure either. :shrug:

I have no idea, honestly. Maybe I'll look for a power steering cooler from some older vehicle instead (dedicated PS coolers seem to be significantly smaller as I'm sure these systems don't generate a ton of heat), and depending on the model of that transmission cooler on the junkyard PF, use that as an additional transmission cooler (rather than as a PS cooler). I could purchase a new power steering cooler for $28 on Amazon, but that's not worth it in my opinion. A cheapo $5 junkyard cooler, some hose, and mounting hardware is all I'd be willing to spend for boredom in this case. :treadmill:

Edited by Towncivilian

If I were going to do any mods like this I would install a small hydraulic filter along the way somewhere. It would keep the fluid clean and allow for a little bit of cooling.

If I were going to do any mods like this I would install a small hydraulic filter along the way somewhere. It would keep the fluid clean and allow for a little bit of cooling.

I was going to add an in-line Magnefine filter at some point if I installed a PS cooler. But I think I should add a transmission cooler first (already got a Magnefine lined up for that) before thinking about the PS cooler. I'll have to scour the junkyard to find a good trans cooler, I know some Ford Exploders have some stacked plate coolers which might be good enough. I just made this topic to see if a PS cooler is also viable.

Like this???

IMG_6007_2.jpg

Had to do this for my pathfinder, had huge power steering problems (its very hot here) but I put this thing on and my p/s pump that was not working started to work again, that was 2 years ago. Cooler is from a patrol. mod cost me 15 bucks.

Yeah, I would have to try to find one of those. Just one should suffice for me I think. Florida, while hot, probably doesn't get as blisteringly hot as the UAE. :hide:

Anybody know what model vehicles have factory power steering coolers? Something tells me I won't see a Patrol at the local junkyard.

A lot of vehicles have factory coolers. Most are just lines running in front of the radiator, some have cooling fins. Just go to the junkyard and peek around, find one that looks like it will do the job.

Chrysler minivans have them underneath...

Ive actually thought of extending my p/s resivour to hold more fluid (to be wasteful I guess, who knows) but never though of lining a cooler from something in...

Yeah, I would have to try to find one of those. Just one should suffice for me I think. Florida, while hot, probably doesn't get as blisteringly hot as the UAE. :hide:

Anybody know what model vehicles have factory power steering coolers? Something tells me I won't see a Patrol at the local junkyard.

Your first idea of using a trans cooler would work just fine and one of those should be alot easier to find in a junkyard.

James

Well keep us posted if you do it. After I water cooled my computer I'm kinda obsessed with cooling EVERYTHING that produces and kind of heat. :rolleyes:

I got this off the front of a 3.3L R50:

IMG_0166.jpg

I haven't checked yet, but it should just mount straight to my radiator support, which is good. It seems quite small to be used as a transmission cooler, so I'm thinking of using this one for a power steering cooler. Any reason not to? I haven't looked for a part number yet. It is a Calsonic branded cooler, so maybe it's OEM. I don't see one listed on Courtesy Parts anywhere, so I'll presumably need the part number to find it.

Googling the part number (Calsonic 48-86457) yields very few results; another PF owner with a '96 4x4 asking what it is, but other than that nothing too useful. I can't find specs anywhere, and I can't find it on Courtesy Parts. Can anybody shed some light on this? Next time I'm at the junkyard I'll note down the VIN of the R50 I pulled it off and run it through Nissan FAST to check out its year and options.

Here is one potential mounting spot on my radiator support, without any modification:

th_IMG_0167.jpg

th_IMG_0168.jpg

The middle bracket was part of this trans cooler, and it is somewhat bent presumably due to the rollover in which the junkyard PF was involved in, so that's why the cooler isn't parallel to the A/C condenser. It's at an angle simply due to the position of the factory screw holes. Some bending and drilling can fix that. Now routing the power steering return hose there and back will be the difficult part. I don't wish to use fuel line as that isn't rated for hydraulic fluid or pressures I believe and it may degrade after some time; I don't want a hose to blow and lose power steering. Thing is, 5ft of 3/8" power steering return hose is $12.75 at my local NAPA! Crazy. Any suggestions?

For a transmission cooler I think I will just purchase this cooler. I don't tow very often, and never go off roading, so I think this modest sized 13,000 BTU unit will do well in my case. Thoughts?

Edited by Towncivilian

I was going to add an in-line Magnefine filter at some point if I installed a PS cooler. But I think I should add a transmission cooler first (already got a Magnefine lined up for that) before thinking about the PS cooler. I'll have to scour the junkyard to find a good trans cooler, I know some Ford Exploders have some stacked plate coolers which might be good enough. I just made this topic to see if a PS cooler is also viable.

Check out my thread on in-line tranny filters and temp gauges, if you are going to cool it, you should read the temp also... ;)

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=29350&st=0&gopid=574628entry574628

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=24503&st=0&p=447214&hl=+temp%20+gauge&fromsearch=1entry447214

Googling the part number (Calsonic 48-86457) yields very few results; another PF owner with a '96 4x4 asking what it is, but other than that nothing too useful. I can't find specs anywhere, and I can't find it on Courtesy Parts. Can anybody shed some light on this? Next time I'm at the junkyard I'll note down the VIN of the R50 I pulled it off and run it through Nissan FAST to check out its year and options.

Here is one potential mounting spot on my radiator support, without any modification:

th_IMG_0167.jpg

th_IMG_0168.jpg

The middle bracket was part of this trans cooler, and it is somewhat bent presumably due to the rollover in which the junkyard PF was involved in, so that's why the cooler isn't parallel to the A/C condenser. It's at an angle simply due to the position of the factory screw holes. Some bending and drilling can fix that. Now routing the power steering return hose there and back will be the difficult part. I don't wish to use fuel line as that isn't rated for hydraulic fluid or pressures I believe and it may degrade after some time; I don't want a hose to blow and lose power steering. Thing is, 5ft of 3/8" power steering return hose is $12.75 at my local NAPA! Crazy. Any suggestions?

For a transmission cooler I think I will just purchase this cooler. I don't tow very often, and never go off roading, so I think this modest sized 13,000 BTU unit will do well in my case. Thoughts?

Yep, it should help things a bit and certainly won't hurt. Run it inline after the stock radiator cooler.

B

I've already got a Magnefine in-line filter and the cooler itself should be arriving today (but I'm without my PF till Thursday evening or Friday morning). I don't think it's worth the effort and more money to install a temp gauge - I've got a USB ODB2 scanner, so I'll have a buddy ride shotgun with a laptop and I'll see how hot the trans gets in normal driving before and after installing the cooler. I also have the "A/T OIL TEMP" idiot light, but I haven't seen that illuminate when driving yet (but I only put a bulb there a few months ago... not even sure if it'd work as intended on my 2WD model, but it stands to reason that it would). And running the auxiliary cooler after the stock cooler is exactly what I had planned. :)

• 3 weeks later...

Well, I found the cooler I pulled off of the junked Pathfinder on Courtesy Parts. Scroll down about halfway down the page (or view the second exploded parts view): http://www.courtesyparts.com/pathfinder-parts-r50-1996-2004/genuine-nissan-parts/power-train/310-auto-transmissiontransaxle-fitting/-c-4700_4701_4769_4774.html

It looks like I missed the bottom bracket, maybe I'll have to go get it from the junkyard to see if it'll fit my R50. But then again I've already bought a better cooler, just not had time to install it yet. I doubt a power steering cooler would be worth my effort - I think switching to a synthetic ATF in the PS system would work just as well in my case.

Edited by Towncivilian