Trail Run After Mods

Rick13

I just wanted to post up because I finally got the new GY DuraTracs, Sub Frame Drop, Jeep Coils, F-250 Shocks, and Extended Rear Brake Line up in the mountains!!!

We didn't get many pic's, but I can tell you the SFD let's me take lines over things that were never possible before (without severe scraping), the rear coils/shocks/ext brake line do allow flex like I've never seen before, and the DuraTracs were unbelievably good on the rocks at 16 psi (actually getting comments from a few folks that saw me climb the hardest section).

Cascade Creek, CO (Rated 4-5):

p1.jpg

p3%20comp.jpg

Nice pics! How did you manage to reinstall your stock plastic splash guard with the subframe drop?

Dude I think that's a great question. I reinstalled the original bolts in the holes on the IFS cross member, but left them about 1/4" from flush/tight. I then took daisy-chained black zip ties and wrapped them around the bolts and through the holes on the lower splash guard. I tightened the bolts to compress on the zip ties. I was able to run the outer 2 outermost zip ties through the IFS crossmember and back to the splash guard.

It's yet another "ghetto" mod, but I like having it there for both aero and deep snow reasons.

Some day I will get real skids for my rig...

Are those still the 33's or are they 35's? They look HUGE!

Funny you say that. I swore to myself that they were too small when I walked up to it in the parking lot the other day. I told a friend that and he scoffed at me and went and measured them (on my rig) and they sit at 32.9" (so they are really close to a true 33). Then I look at pictures (taken at a totally different angle) and they seem to look huge.

Wow I love that color and your ride looks amazing!

Now stop being a cheapass and talk to fluerys and get a SFD skid plate.

Thanks. I get a lot of comments on the color (which I hated at first cause I wanted silver), but now it's grown on me.

But I'm actually not being a "cheapass". I'm just waiting on something that Thunderbolt has been working on. I think it has some real potential.

And its amazing what a few extra inches of lift will do isnt it :coolpics:

Yes it is, almost shocking how much different that trail was for me (I've run it 5 times before). What was sad is that it made it almost too easy. I'll actually have to pick different lines on trails that used to be moderately difficult for me.

Nice pics and a fantastic looking ride. How long are your rocksliders? I'm torn on what armour I should do first (skid plate vs. sliders)

It might depend on where you wheel and what your obstacles consist of, but IMHO sliders have been the best choice I could have made (thanks Thunderbolt). I have only hit my cross member and gas tank skid a couple times, but I've nailed my sliders a good 50 times and they've saved my butt many times.

They are Rocky Road Outfitters Super Sliders (Glenn Wakefield was great to deal with). They measure right at 68" (but of course the small kickout/step is a bit shorter).

Thanks. I get a lot of comments on the color (which I hated at first cause I wanted silver), but now it's grown on me.

But I'm actually not being a "cheapass". I'm just waiting on something that Thunderbolt has been working on. I think it has some real potential.

No way that color is great...only color I would want other than black (which I had)...

And I was being sarcastic...you cheapass :itsallgood:

Very nice, you did a great job on the whole project. I really like the wheel tire combo, makes me think it might be okay to go from my 15" back up to 16" rims.

How did you mount up your lights in front of your grille?

Looks great! If only SFDs weren't a PITA and expensive...

Well, it was another cheap mod. I had a discount at Harbor Freight and purchased these off-road (narrow/pencil beam) lights for about $26. That being said, I think the mounts leave something to be desired (I'm sure KC/Hella have much better). I measured equal distance from the Nissan emblem and made sure the grounding wire for each light could reach an adequate surface. Then I marked the locations with a pencil and drilled the holes. My bumper has been torn half way off before and has been beaten to $#it, so it wasn't a big deal for me to drill. Doing it over again, I would have inspected the bumper more (and found the metal under the plastic where I drilled) and extended the ground wires to have more separation of the lights. It took me about 60 minutes to install, but most of that was trying to adjust the beams (the adjustment of the mounts suck and need readjustment after any trail run).

No way that color is great...only color I would want other than black (which I had)...

And I was being sarcastic...you cheapass :itsallgood:

Yeah, I figured, but I'm just waiting on something else (not holding my breath though).

Very nice, you did a great job on the whole project. I really like the wheel tire combo, makes me think it might be okay to go from my 15" back up to 16" rims.

I had a picture of yours (in a parking structure?) that I used to show people at work how my rig should look when I'm all done - please remember that it took 6 months of things like pigeon toed and positive camber, crazy reverse rake, several spacer relocations/placements, so they got to see it almost every day look like an experiment gone horribly wrong! :crossedwires:

It might depend on where you wheel and what your obstacles consist of, but IMHO sliders have been the best choice I could have made (thanks Thunderbolt). I have only hit my cross member and gas tank skid a couple times, but I've nailed my sliders a good 50 times and they've saved my butt many times.

They are Rocky Road Outfitters Super Sliders (Glenn Wakefield was great to deal with). They measure right at 68" (but of course the small kickout/step is a bit shorter).

Thanks. You are the third person that recommended the sliders first. I will, once again, follow most of you guys formula to avoid any "shoulda', coulda', and woulda's" in my build. I never would have guessed 68" though. I'll look up Rocky Road Outfitters when the budget allows.

I had a picture of yours (in a parking structure?) that I used to show people at work how my rig should look when I'm all done - please remember that it took 6 months of things like pigeon toed and positive camber, crazy reverse rake, several spacer relocations/placements, so they got to see it almost every day look like an experiment gone horribly wrong! :crossedwires:

Totally understand what you mean, mine is still not finished because I have been waiting for parts from America for 6 months. It took me 4 tries to get the strut spacers right and my camber is still a bit off.

I am also getting a skid plate made soon, and it will be similar to fleurys but it will be one solid piece all the way back to the missing link. I am doing this to try to improve the strength of the 4 lift blocks as much as possible. I would love to see some videos of your truck off road because I am really interested in what kind of abuse SFDs are going through.

Anyway I am happy to see your truck almost finished and looking great, you definitely beat me to full functionality.

Are those still the 33's or are they 35's? They look HUGE!

I want to see a pathfinder of our color heavily modified with a subframe drop/etc. Has yet to be done...