87 pathfinder no 4wd, asking for someone else

ahardb0dy

Trying to help someone on another forum and want to get opinions from the experts on here, guy has a 87 pathfinder and says when he shifts it into 4 hi or low it doesn't seem like it is engaging, I told him the front wheel normally has to rotate one complete turn for the auto hub to engage, he has told me he pulled the PF up against a van and only the rear tires are spinning, I suggested he take the hubs apart to remove the old grease and to lightly re-grease them to see if they will engage. He said he has had the front end off the ground and one cv axle will turn slowly and the other turns but kind of erratically, and the front driveshaft is turning. I didn't think the front differential had any real problems, he said when he bought the truck it was in 4 hi but I suspect it wasn't engaged at the front wheels.

Any ideas or suggestions on what he should look at? Any definitive way to test the front differential to see if it is indeed shot??

Thanks all.

Here's what I'd do:

-jack front end (put on jack stands)

-engage 4-hi

-try to spin front drive shaft, if you can spin it, your transfer case or shift lever is busted

-assuming you couldn't spin it, switch to 2wd

-spin front drive shaft, at least one front wheel should turn

-shove something under the wheel that turned so it can't move easy

-rotate front drive shaft again, the other wheel should turn

-remove block on front wheel

-spin one front wheel, the other wheel should turn the opposite direction (assuming open diff) and the front drive shaft should turn

I hope all that is correct...

I told him and 2 other people to join the forum here, I can't make them. Told them there is more activity here in one day than on the other forum in a week. Just trying to help the guy out, I'll emphasis to join here again. Thanks

Edited by ahardb0dy

I told him the front wheel normally has to rotate one complete turn for the auto hub to engage,

I've heard people say that the tire has to make one revolution before the hub will lock, but I think y'all mean the axle. I have driven in some soft mud in 2wd and got stuck where it wouldn't move. I put it in 4 wheel drive and I hear the hubs click when they engage but they grab right away. It wouldn't do you any good once your stuck if the tire had to roll some before the hub would lock.

James

I think it's the brake plates that are worn out. They are part of the auto hubs, one side is on the hub the other is behind the snap ring. I had the same problem, had the truck up on a lift but for me only one was messed up. The one tire would turn and if you grabbed the tire the other cv would start turning fully but the tire wouldn't.

You can buy new ones from the dealer, but I opted for a good used set from a member here.

• 2 weeks later...