4x4 tires questions, opinions etc

4doordrift

Hi guys, I want to get some mud terrain tires for my stock 02 chilkoot. I went missing yesterday and almost got stuck, had tons of fun tho, just definetly held back by the tires. What are you guys running? What are your recommendations. I don't have all that much money, want something aggressive, also good on snow, trails, street. I was looking at Green Diamond Iclander MT but don't think I can get them in Canada eh.

The more I look at duratracs the more I like them, I'm sold on the green diamond Icelander mt. Would be perfect just hard to get. What about general grabber at2(even tho it's a AT not MT tire)?

I got godd year territory for 2 winter and 1 summer and they are quite capable for the price.

A friend of mine had the firestone destination MT and they are definatly my next tires. Very

good grip and very durable, less noisy than my goodyear too.

Four wheeler magazine just did a comparison test on mud terrain tires and the clear winner surprisingly to them was the Hankook Dynapro MT. The tires in the test were:

The Tires

(in alphabetical order)

BFGoodrich Mud-Terrain T/A KM2

Goodyear Wrangler MT/R with Kevlar

Hankook Dynapro MT

Maxxis M8060 Trepador

Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ

Nitto Trail Grappler M/T

Pit Bull Rocker LT

Pro Comp Xtreme Mud Terrain

Interco Super Swamper TrXus

Yokohama Geolandar M/T

you can read the entire article here:

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarticles/wheels/129_1104_massive_mud_tire_shootout_intro/index.html

I saw a set of the Dynapro mt's on a hummer down here one day and I like how they look. I wish BFG still made the older style mud terrains as that is the tire I always use to have and still would if they made them, the new BFG mt's I do not like although I am sure they are a good tire. Originally I had BFG AT's until one of the guys I used to work with in the 4x4 shop back home told me how good the BFG MT's were in the soft sand we had on our beaches, never thought a MT would be good in the soft sand but I bought a set and they were excellent. Someone on here has the Dynapro Mt's on their PF.

If you are looking for something cheep but with a good ability on, mud,street,trail look at the maxxis bighorns. They are not a bad tire at all and around here are allot cheaper then similar tires. They say they are 60k tires but the ones on my heavy dodge have 72k on them and still have over half tread.

Since you're in BC, I would look into the Goodyear Wrangler Territory from Canadian Tire... Best bang for your buck on a stock R50 imo. They go on sale for like $150 a tire every few weeks. You would need to run on a 16" wheel on an 02 to clear the brake calipers. To make sure the tire clears the strut you may also need either front wheel spacers or a wheel with around 4.0 Backspace... I run a procomp rock crawler 3.75"BS/-19mm offset and it sticks out a bit from the fender flares.

I've only got about 6k on mine, but I love them. They're almost an A/T - M/T hybrid. Very similar to the Duratracs, just a lot cheaper.

http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/browse/4/Auto/1/Tires/LightTruckTires/PRD~0052335P/Goodyear%252BWrangler%252BTerritory.jsp?locale=en&isAutomotivePrd=true&tireSku=0053135&auto_type=tire&icid=AutoSelector_Tires_Size_31X%2F10.50R15+_ViewDetails

http://www.procompusa.com/prodDetail.aspx?partNo=PCW98-5883&catID=11&subCat=209&ptID=100021&plID=100348

Goodyear Dura's mang! Rated great in the "snow belt" (although I live in the dirty south). They pull well in the red clay mud down here. They look aggressive. 'Nough said?

Good tire, lots of blazer owners like them for all season use (s10 blazers)

I got godd year territory for 2 winter and 1 summer and they are quite capable for the price.

A friend of mine had the firestone destination MT and they are definatly my next tires. Very

good grip and very durable, less noisy than my goodyear too.

Also a good choice, good years are good on ice, well better then other brands. Coopers are another good choice, there ST is BA.

Four wheeler magazine just did a comparison test on mud terrain tires and the clear winner surprisingly to them was the Hankook Dynapro MT. The tires in the test were:

The Tires

(in alphabetical order)

Hankook Dynapro MT

Maxxis M8060 Trepador

Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ

Nitto Trail Grappler M/T

Pit Bull Rocker LT

Yokohama Geolandar M/T

http://www.fourwheeler.com/techarticles/wheels/129_1104_massive_mud_tire_shootout_intro/index.html

Nothing with snow or ice reviews.

There have been reveiws on Dick Cepeck FC 2's over a year long span on a f150, diffrent size truck but still, it was the only one that had testing over winter road conditions that I remember and there where far better then the mild stock a/s's and there a pretty luggy tread.

As far as I know, my cousin runs micky t mtz's in the winter ( 04 2500 dodge ram) and I have run both bridge stone a/ts and no name roadrunner atp's (both a/t's) on my pathfinder and both offered good winter traction.

But if you can, I would recondmend for balls out snow and mud traction Wild Spirit radial RVT's if there in your area, there ghosty on ice but most muds are on sear ice.

The Tires

(in alphabetical order)

Hankook Dynapro MT

Maxxis M8060 Trepador

Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ

Nitto Trail Grappler M/T

Pit Bull Rocker LT

Yokohama Geolandar M/T

That's what I got!

009resized.jpg

I bought these because it was the best price I could find, $140 a piece down here. But after reading review I see it's a really good tire. They pull good in the mud, I haven't gotten stuck yet to use my winch. The on road performance is ok, they are squishy and sway some but nothing bad. Even my wife enjoys driving it. As for snow performance I couldn't tell you, hell will have to freeze over before we get snow on the ground here.

James