fuel economy

makie

Ok wait a min here. I want to know all the details about your Pathy if you are getting 17mpg or better with city/highway driving. I get a little better than 14 and I've done everything to improve it short of a new cam and having the ECU reprogrammed. Come on spill the details. Are you sure you're doing the math correctly? We're not looking for estimates here. I want true life numbers. Top off your tank, reset your trip mile gauge, drive it, then when you fill up again take the number of miles you drove and divide it by the number of gallons it took you to top off the tank again.

Ok wait a min here. I want to know all the details about your Pathy if you are getting 17mpg or better with city/highway driving. I get a little better than 14 and I've done everything to improve it short of a new cam and having the ECU reprogrammed. Come on spill the details. Are you sure you're doing the math correctly? We're not looking for estimates here. I want true life numbers. Top off your tank, reset your trip mile gauge, drive it, then when you fill up again take the number of miles you drove and divide it by the number of gallons it took you to top off the tank again.

I agree ! It costs me over $75.00 to fill up my Pathy. And I too, have kept on top of tune ups, keeping the tires a little overinflated etc... Just about every trick in the book. And I still avg. around 8 MPG between hiway and city driving. Not that much stop and go. Keep my foot out of the throttle too.

Pony up, and spill the beans, or go back and retake elementry math ! LOL

Here's a screen shot of my "true life numbers" of sucky fuel mileage since I bought my truck.

Mileagespreadsheet.jpg

I use an excel spread sheet I got from another forum. You have to stay on top of it and get a receipt from every fillup and write your mileage on the receipt.

It's cool to look back on, you can see when I first bought it it ran like crap and had a fuel leak at the tank. After tuneup it got a little better, then you can see when I started with the first highway trips. The last fillup my wife had been driving it too. I guess I need to stop running it to the floor all the time and I might get better mileage.

I see now I must have screwed something up on this spreadsheet though. The one for my titan shows totals at the bottom row instead of average.

James

I get 16mpg city and over 19 highway. I have driven this thing through a lot of the states and back to Canada (15,000kms) so I did enough "real life" numbers. I averaged 23mpg on the highway. At the time it was pretty much stock except for a 3" body lift...

And if you have bigger tires, your odometer will show less, so that would mean you would look like you're getting worse mileage than if it had been correct...So if his numbers are flawed its possible he's getting better than that :tongue:

Edited by adamzan

I get 16mpg city and over 19 highway. I have driven this thing through a lot of the states and back to Canada (15,000kms) so I did enough "real life" numbers. I averaged 23mpg on the highway. At the time it was pretty much stock except for a 3" body lift...

And if you have bigger tires, your odometer will show less, so that would mean you would look like you're getting worse mileage than if it had been correct...So if his numbers are flawed its possible he's getting better than that :tongue:

What mods do you have done to get the 16 city and 19 highway? Auto or Manual trans?

I use an excel spread sheet I got from another forum. You have to stay on top of it and get a receipt from every fillup and write your mileage on the receipt.

James

I used the "Fram Gas Cubby" app. on my phone when my odometer worked. It's a free app for smart phones and a novil way to keep track on mantnance, mpg (if you fill up) whatnot. shoud start using that again :/

What mods do you have done to get the 16 city and 19 highway? Auto or Manual trans?

he's Canadian, addition fails him... only hockey and pine trees

My apologies in advance. Newbie here on this forum (usually on the Nico forum)and yes, I have a 2wd, but I'll chime in with my MPG.

1999.5 LE 2wd Auto

Running Valvoline 80w90 Synthetic Blend gear oil for the diff.

Gastrol GTX 5w30

Valvoline conventional ATF

I've gotten a worse of 16 mpg(50/50) and a high of 19mpg(30%city/70%highway). If I'm easy on the throttle I can get 20 mpg on the highway.

Performance mods, I have done nothing, yet (have headers waiting in the garage) but I put new plugs/wires/cap/rotor/o2 sensor/pcv valve in last winter. It's an automatic, and I don't drive it like I stole it, and I use the cruise whenever I can.

Oh and don't they have different fuel up there too?

I don't think so, maybe in the winter we have the oxygenated gas or w/e its called so it doesn't freeze. I know I usually get worse mpg in the winter months. The only time I noticed a difference was when I was in certain us states and I mistakenly put 85 octane in, instead of 87 which is the minimum. It actually made a pretty big difference and the CEL came on. Then again it was probably used to my elevation.

I usually put in about 55 litres and that gets me right around 330 km, which if my math is right that's about 14 mpg. So not as horrible as I thought but definitely lower than 17-18 a lot of you are getting. Aranay, do you have a bigger tank (I'm assuming I have about a 60 litre)? I would kill to get 500km from a full tank but even at 17mpg I wouldn't get anywhere near that.

Any ideas what could be causing the low mileage?

A full tank in my '95 5 speed would get me just over 500 Km highway driving only (AKA roadtrip) provided I didn't have to go on the Coquihalla.

City I would usually get just over 350.

I Averaged 13L/100KM (18MPG) when my 88 Automatic was running poorly. That was 50/50 split. I am yet to put enough KM onto it to calculate its new consumption since I replaced a bunch of stuff, but it feels better. The Fuel Economy of this truck from day one has been absolutely amazing in my opinion, I am shocked at how great it is. :takebow:

• 4 weeks later...

I haven't really checked mileage until the trip started yesterday morning, filled the tank Friday and put about 25 miles on it local, and a little 4wheeling in the desert on the way :D , We topped the tank in Quartzite az, filled to the brim and it took 13.565 mileage was 246.6 almost the same mileage with the gps and streets and trips 18.1mpg. the wife and I weigh about 330 together and about another 300 to 350 in the back, A/C off

Quartzite to Phoenix and about 45 miles in town driving A/C on 16.3 mpg.

Will see how we do tomorrow going to Laughlin NV.

Freeway speeds 70 to 75

Tire size 245/75R 16

5 speed

Warn manual hubs

K&N cone style air filter

Edited by vagabond