Performance. Towing. Ideas?

rydsno

Hey everyone. I have a 1995 pathy and I tow a small camper trailer. I want to know what people have done for performance upgrades, mainly bolt on stuff. I have a magnaflow SS muffler to go on right away and i'm thinking about a high flow cat as well. I want to gain as much as i can out of the pathy, mainly for towing my camper. She tows ok, but long uphills are a real struggle. I'm thinking about a tranny cooler and electronic fan as well. BTW, my trailer is only 2300 lbs., but aerodynamics aren't very good. Kinda like a brick pulling a toaster! So any ideas are appreciated.

And yes, i've "searched"! Please don't post and tell me to search, I want current info from people who've actually had results. Also, wouldn't mind if anyone knew of some nice headlight upgrades. Thanks everyone!!

For headlights: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=4945 or you may want to to do a HB swap out (but I don't know where that thread is). I put on an external B&M stacked plate trans cooler (bypassed the factory cooler in the rad) on mine & a gauge. Haven't done an electric fan yet, but I might this summer. The changes I have made gave me results that were positive. In my books, everything is gold.

Kinda like a brick pulling a toaster!

Nice Visual!!

As for searching and not finding anything current... :scratchhead:

Ok, here is a break down. Put a Jim Wolf Tech pop charger (air intake) on it, Thorley headers, magnaflow high flow cat and the magnaflow muffler with 2-2.25" pipe all the way.

Clean the MAF, tune up and make sure the O2 is functioning properly. That will give you all the power you can reasonably get.

For the tranny, change the fluid, install a large tranny cooler (bypassing the stock unit) and add a temp gauge for monitoring. When towing or in hilly country, turn off the OD.

Is the toast done??

B

• Like 1

Heavy brick needs a power adder.

You could add a turbo/intercooler, but then you have to add a programmable ECU. I pull a 19' boat and that inspired me to add the power adder. I also thought about adding a Xtera supercharger but that would require a hole in the hood.

Gears is where its at, re gear the front and rear too 4.9 out of a nismo fronty... May hurt your gas milage but everything will last longer

Tranny cooler is a must and a E-fan, HD Alty to keep the battory charged to move the fan and a COA along with your exhaust. The COA is what I think will give you most power, since I suspect you will be running WFO up those long grades. Gearing will help loads in keeping the power too the ground.

Then tires and wheels, I will say for towing bigger wheels are better then smaller, I'd look at a mininum of 16x7 inch wheels with a wider then stock( asuming you have the 235 tire) tire. Something, well anything bigger then the stock 235s are better. They offer better handling while towing.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I'll post some pics of the truck and camper when we go camping next weekend.

As for the suggestions:

lint- Do you know the model of b&m cooler? Interesting thread about the headlights! The magnaflow is a 11225, haven't picked up the cat yet. What is the HB swap?

adamzan - I was thinking about the headers, not sure yet, i have the tick though. :)

precise1 - MAF is done, O2 is done, tryin to find out the best trans cooler to install. And i'm just finding out about all the Jim Wolf stuff from this post. O/D is always off when towing. And yes, the toast is done, almost. :)

I think cams, turbos, and gearing are something i would reserve for turning the pathy into a monster! The one thing i have too keep mind is that my girlfriend occasionally drive the truck to clients houses, so it's gotta be a little civilized.;)

nismo, i have 265/75 15's , never though about the hd alternator, good idea!

Thanks! This is great write up! Unfortunately, i now have more things i want to do to the pathfinder! :)

Good link for everyone with the loose steering, i thought i would just have to live with the sloppy steering, not anymore!