Front coils

As I'm sure everyone knows, I'm hoping to install a SFD on the Q come spring. I'm on the fence if I want to go with lift coils because I think the 4" SFD will provide enough height for what's going to be a glorified mall-crawler... For real, I have no intention to wheel this thing. :takebow:

That being said, ZJ or WJ lift coils should work nicely in the rear with the 4" SFD up front. However, I don't think I want to stick with OEM coils because they just don't cut it compared to the OME coils I had on the '98. I'm curious if anyone knows of any companies who produce stock height coils with stiffer spring rates.

If not, I guess I gotta go with lift coils... :whistle:

I saw that OME offers a .5" lift coil, so if you didn't want to lift it too much, that could be an option. Check out http://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/nissan-pathfinder-wd21-r50-suspension-lift-kits-c-38_593.html?osCsid=4l444h6tusgd84ncbbepbjl7r7 I liked that idea since I am thinking of just adding in the NX spacer, those coils, and then something light in the rear, like a 1" with a spacer or something easy like that. I don't want to really wheel mine either, just give it a better stance...just in case!

There is a discrepancy on those OME coils.. they only make them in one height but nobody really knows what the true height is.. ARB (the manufacturer) lists them as a .5" lift, as also do some dealers. Rocky road outfitters advertises them as a 1.75" lift.

Who has bought OME's and how much real lift did they give you?

Oh, and another discrepancy.

They are made in three part numbers: 921- light, 923- medium, 928- heavy

Rocky road only sells two- the 921 and the 923. They list the 921 as medium and the 923 as heavy, which is incorect

FYI

There is a discrepancy on those OME coils.. they only make them in one height but nobody really knows what the true height is.. ARB (the manufacturer) lists them as a .5" lift, as also do some dealers. Rocky road outfitters advertises them as a 1.75" lift.

Who has bought OME's and how much real lift did they give you?

I had OME coils on my previous R50, and I had approximately 2" of lift. Front coils were OME 928.

The light, medium, and heavy duty are referring to loads, not height from what I understand. IE heavy duty will give you .5" of lift with a heavy load, medium .5" with medium load etc. Naturally though, if you go heavy duty with no load then you're probably gonna get more lift.

Tekaz, you could try ordering custom springs. I forget the company/website but if you search you'll probably find it.

I think you mean coilsprings.com ;)

Yeah, I've debated contacting Kevin but I'm not sure if they would require a set of front and rear coils in order to make what I need. I was hoping some company out there offers stiffer OEM-length coils. :shrug:

Curious why go with the SFD over say just getting 4-5" lift front springs??

I dont know much about the SFD but I thought I read it being $800ish?

I bet even custom springs would be half that

OME coils only provide 0.5" of lift. It "looks" like more because all of our springs are sagging. The 0.5" of lift is measured from stock height when the truck rolled off the showroom floor.

It will also "look" like more of a lift if you get a stiffer rated spring than what you're actually carrying (i.e. getting HD coils for the front when you have stock everything in the front).

Edited by esy

Personally ill be going with the HD springs in the front when I replace my suspension, as I like a stiffer more truck like ride, even though I have all stock up front and it will stay that way until extra money for the truck is in existence. I figure all the springs cost the same, so why not HD ones?

@ OP- why not the Heep coils?

Curious why go with the SFD over say just getting 4-5" lift front springs??

I dont know much about the SFD but I thought I read it being $800ish?

I bet even custom springs would be half that

I bought my SFD kit for the '98 and paid about $500. 4-5" lift coils would be impossible up front unless you were to SAS.

OME coils only provide 0.5" of lift. It "looks" like more because all of our springs are sagging. The 0.5" of lift is measured from stock height when the truck rolled off the showroom floor.

It will also "look" like more of a lift if you get a stiffer rated spring than what you're actually carrying (i.e. getting HD coils for the front when you have stock everything in the front).

Good to know. Thanks. :)

Personally ill be going with the HD springs in the front when I replace my suspension, as I like a stiffer more truck like ride, even though I have all stock up front and it will stay that way until extra money for the truck is in existence. I figure all the springs cost the same, so why not HD ones?

@ OP- why not the Heep coils?

I am planning on Jeep coils but for the rear. So if I go with 4" coils in the rear, I can't add lift coils when the SFD is already adding 4" of lift up front; it won't be equal. What I'm hoping is 4" over stock, SFD up front with OEM length coils but stiffer than stock, and all suspension in the rear with coils.

Well I decided to email ARB USA and ask about the deal on these OME springs. Here is what I got:

Andrew-

Our R50 Pathfinder springs all have the same spring rate of 200 lbs/in while the OE springs are 150 lbs/in. As our application page shows, each spring is designed around a vehicle with a certain amount of extra weight. As you step from light load, to medium, and heavy there is a 10mm height change in the coil itself. The extra height of the spring counteracts the additional weight so the end result is .50” of lift when the weight is matched to the appropriate coil.

If you are only planning on running skid plates, I would suggest the Light Load springs (2921) in the front and the Medium Load (2922) for the rear.

Hope this helps!

Matt Glass

ARB USA

Tech and Marketing Assistant

So it seems that you really DO get more height with the "heavier" springs and they are all the same stiffness! 10mm is about 1/2 inch so light springs are .5 lift, med are 1", and heavy are 1.5" lift. And the rear springs are only available as med at 1" lift. And remember don't get confused about the Rocky road website, their listings of what is medium and what is heavy is incorrect. They only sell light and medium but they call them medium and heavy.

I am going to email ARB in austrailia to make sure what this guy says is correct. Too confusing!

Well I decided to email ARB USA and ask about the deal on these OME springs. Here is what I got:

Andrew-

Our R50 Pathfinder springs all have the same spring rate of 200 lbs/in while the OE springs are 150 lbs/in. As our application page shows, each spring is designed around a vehicle with a certain amount of extra weight. As you step from light load, to medium, and heavy there is a 10mm height change in the coil itself. The extra height of the spring counteracts the additional weight so the end result is .50” of lift when the weight is matched to the appropriate coil.

If you are only planning on running skid plates, I would suggest the Light Load springs (2921) in the front and the Medium Load (2922) for the rear.

Hope this helps!

Matt Glass

ARB USA

Tech and Marketing Assistant

So it seems that you really DO get more height with the "heavier" springs and they are all the same stiffness! 10mm is about 1/2 inch so light springs are .5 lift, med are 1", and heavy are 1.5" lift. And the rear springs are only available as med at 1" lift. And remember don't get confused about the Rocky road website, their listings of what is medium and what is heavy is incorrect. They only sell light and medium but they call them medium and heavy.

I am going to email ARB in austrailia to make sure what this guy says is correct. Too confusing!

that's the best explanation from ARB i've seen from them so far! great info! thanks. i was always under the impression that the MD/HD simply had higher spring rates. good to know.

• 1 month later...

Just curious, would going with the HD coils up front, and then combining that with a set of 2-3 inch WJ lift coils even out? I would like to save any extra $$ I can, and since the WJ coils are cheaper, think it'd work? I've heard a bunch about people using the 4inch coils in the rear to accompany a SFD, so why wouldnt it work this way too?

Also, I've heard over and over again about some 1" spacers for up front. I have no clue where to find them to buy them online! Help please! With the OME HD coils up front and a spacer I'd be looking at almost 3 inches of lift, plus the 3ish inch WJ lift coils in the rear I think would level out pretty nicely.

Just some thoughts I've had. Any insights will be appreciated