Stock Pathy and what to do?

I recently bought a very well taken care of 1992 Pathy......It had decent 31X10.5X15 on it and otherwise was stock......i took it down trails that US Army HMMWV's with 37s and US Army 5 ton trucks had been.....it was a little rough, but I made it with no problems.......this thing is amazing.......I don't think my friend's Wrangler with 35s on it would have made some of this stuff!!!!!!! I love it and am currently planning several mods to include a 3" sl and 33s......and suggestions on anything else I can do?????????????

It all depends on what YOU want to do with your truck. a lift and 33's will definitely help on the trail but if you're looking to do some rock crawling, you're going to eventually do a solid axle swap. If you think thats the direction you're going then if i were you i'd hold out on the 3" lift and pinch pennies for a while to save for a SAS.

but putting a rear locker in wouldn't be a bad idea being that it's something that will stay in place even after a SAS.

^Excellent advice, especially about the locker.

If you plan to do the 3" lift with 33" tires, you will want to upgrade the steering components, specifically the centerlink and an idler arm brace. Check out www.grassroots4x4.com for centerlink upgrade...

B

There are some Qs that I need too ask? What where the trails terrain? Really you say that HMMWV's and 5ton trucks have been down them, well the hummers are under powered( and weigh a ballz load) with true AWD and those 5 ton trucks ride on 46inch tires.

Having said that the other guys have gotten the genral stuff, but with out knowing what you wheel we cant(no buddy can really) say what would work best in your terrain.

the trails are mostly muddy and hilly.....as far as my particular HMMWV, it has plenty of power......yes the 5 tons ride on 46s.....I just had to steer the Pathy clear of the really big holes.......went down again yesterday evening and did really well again......

planning on mud some and also traveling to east texas and to a couple of places in arkansas to do some crawling

Locker brand? A lot of people will scream ARB air locker, but a Deroit is cheaper and just as tuff (if not more, I lean toward Eaton brand over other)

But first you will to verfy that you have a open diff in the rear axle. If not you will need to swap too one that is open and not equiped with a LSD.

Solid axles? People will also scream for a jeep wagoneer dana 44 front, which will fit just find and work. I on the other hand would look for a Ford bronco dana44 or possibly if your gonna swap the engine/tranny out for a gm brand a dana 44 from a 3/4 truck.

There is little need to SAS swap your pathfinder if your trails are muddy tracks, a snorkle, BL and SL will give it enough room too fit 35s stock( I admit, skinny 35s) will a minmum of fender cutting/rolling.

Although if you do run 33s or 35s you should up grade the center link. Most people go with the HooAH brand( I think thats the name of it anyway)

And you would know this because you finally installed your lock-right? :lol:

I bought a house instead. ;)

It is sitting on a 1st class shelf in the new garage awaiting attention.

I don't even have an open rear end!!

Bastage!! :D

B

• 1 month later...

So wait a min here! You mean to tell me this locker http://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/powertrax-lockright-locking-differential-h233b-31spline-1986595-nissan-pathfinder-v6-p-3654.html requires me to buy an open dif before I can install it on my pathy? Why do none of these people selling it mention such an important detail?

I definitely recommend the lockright. It will change the drive ability some if you have a 5 speed though. It adds more slack to the drive train and will bang if you let up the clutch too fast when shifting. It didn't take me long to adjust though. You also need to go easy on it when making turns so it can unlock, otherwise it will either spin your inside tire or unlock under force and make a loud head turning bang. It's really not that bad though, my wife drives it and never complained about any noise.

I got lucky I guess and my truck came with an open differential. Also with the low mileage on mine the internal parts hardly showed any wear so all the measurements came out good and I didn't need another set of side spacers.

I didn't wheel this truck before I had good tires and the locker but now it will go most places I need in just 2wd. I only need 4wd for the really sticky mud holes. My 2wd titan with open differential will get stuck in wet grass, really!

James