What toyota used to be ?

maikan

Just got back from the Yota dealer with my GF's Yaris.

50 000 Km and a water pump leak plus a timing cover gasket leak.

We were pretty sold to Toyota (and Nissan for trucks :aok: ) cars but we

are quite a bit disappointed with them right now.

I drove for years a corolla with over 300 000 km,I think these cases are now from the past

Toyota has been declining since around 2000. Recent automotive reviews even say that they are severely lacking in quality across the board, when usually their bias gets in the way and they ignore it.

Know what's really crazy? An '06 Camry 3.5L blowing the engine at 53,000 miles. Oil line burst and emptied all the oil out. I heard the rods knocking when the car pulled in to the driveway. The worst part is, it took almost a month of fighting with Toyota before they would replace the engine under warranty/recall. Newer Corollas were blowing engines at 30-40k due to poor oil flow design/sludge (similar to the 2.7L engine Chrysler used in the Stratus and Intrepid chassis but those lasted to around 100k) then blaming it all on the customer alleging that they didn't have the vehicle serviced correctly and therefore not honoring any warranty, my uncle's '05 Sequoia fell apart before 60k, Toyota secretely bought back tons and tons of Tacomas because the frames rusted in half (similar to the '90-'95 WD21s), etc.

They USED to build pretty solid, boring, appliances. Now they're just cheap, unreliable, boring appliances.

Toyota has been declining since around 2000.

Toyota is not the only one, don't go buy a new nissan. Stick with the older nissans made in japan. The worst problem is they don't train their dealers any more. The last time I brought my titan in for one of the many recalls, this one to change the A/C fan in the grill, when I got it back they had screwed up something with the auto climate control and the new fan in the grill still didn't work! Now I have a recall notice for the fuel pump relay but I'm afraid to bring it in, but afraid it will crap out and leave me on the road. At least I've learned from clubtitan that if the fuel pump relay goes out I can swap it with the fog light relay to make it run again. I love forums! :aok:

James

Welcome to modern mass production and computer "perfect" quality controls. :rolleyes:

Yea, that pretty much covers modern stuff (not just Toyotas, or cars in general!)

Toyota secretely bought back tons and tons of Tacomas because the frames rusted in half (similar to the '90-'95 WD21s), etc.

That wasn't a secret, you couldn't touch them things at an auction either since they were paying full value no matter what you brought in. Actually knew someone that "traded in" theirs as basicly enough driveline to limp it in-a cab-and a vin.

Toyota is not the only one, don't go buy a new nissan. Stick with the older nissans made in japan. The worst problem is they don't train their dealers any more. The last time I brought my titan in for one of the many recalls, this one to change the A/C fan in the grill, when I got it back they had screwed up something with the auto climate control and the new fan in the grill still didn't work! Now I have a recall notice for the fuel pump relay but I'm afraid to bring it in, but afraid it will crap out and leave me on the road. At least I've learned from clubtitan that if the fuel pump relay goes out I can swap it with the fog light relay to make it run again. I love forums! :aok:

James

2.5 maximas(I think maxima, It was the EGR valve breaking and being sucked into the engine)

Theres a few cases of the dealers telling people too eff of instead of fixing the problem on these cars.

2.5 maximas(I think maxima, It was the EGR valve breaking and being sucked into the engine)

Theres a few cases of the dealers telling people too eff of instead of fixing the problem on these cars.

my friend just told me something about a TSB about the maxima or altima the cat would break and all that stuff would go inside the motor and damage the cyclinders ,

my friend just told me something about a TSB about the maxima or altima the cat would break and all that stuff would go inside the motor and damage the cyclinders ,

How could stuff from the cat get sucked into the exhaust valve? :togo:

I dont really know but I'm guessing it is based on how the exhaust is built and it happens when you shut the engine off and you get a vacuum sucking the crap in.

Its not a BS thing, this is what really happened to these cars, although I'm sure it was the EGR valve.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

found off of nissan club . com

I just had my ENGINE replaced due to a failure of the catalytic converter. As I understand it, in certain conditions the engine has a vacuum when off, and the catalytic converter releases particles back into the engine, eventually scoring the cylinder walls. This repair is covered by warranty for 8 years or 80,000 miles as mandated under federal law. The engine had 60,000 miles. Nissan North America has so far refused to cover my towing or car rental charges.

idk my friend was telling me this but i forgot what he said but it sounded like this recall but anyways i think all cars have there flaws and recalls but they sure dont build cars like they used too

A lot of titans had this problem too. The cat is built into the exhaust manifold so its right next to the engine. Supposedly the engines running lean was causing the catalyst to break up into small pieces. When you turn off the motor sometimes it will kick backwards a little depending on which cylinders were about to be on compression stroke. Apparently this slight kick back was enough to pull catalyst pieces into the cylinder and score the cylinder walls.

Strangely most of the cases I read about only one reported smoke from the tail pipe. Most of them never noticed any smoke just when the oil pressure dropped when it ran out of oil.

This was my excuse to my wife for why I needed to get headers for my titan and move the cats back under the cab. And I could have saved enough money for the headers if I wouldn't have bought this pathfinder.

James

wonder if that's the same W/P on the 4 cyl camry...mine was toast at 36000 miles...$900 job...traded it in on my tacoma on the spot b/c i got lucky and had just drove a used 6 spd and liked it and needed a reason to trade in the camry...

I like any nissan/yota that's pre 96 but so far my 06 taco has been treating me good :knocks on wood: