Adding a turbo/intercooler to my '95 Pathfinder

2milehi

how much boost can the engine take (safe)??

25+ PSI at sea level with a good sized turbo as long as the tuning is spot on to prevent detonation. VGs have "glass" pistons, detonation with any kind of major force to it usually blows piston skirts/ring lands right off.

Can't wait to see videos of this thing running around. :D

I was wondering. Since your trying to make so much power with boost and you obviuously know your way around a engine have you considered building up a vg33 to replace your vg30? I just got done with that swap along with the auto to manual. It makes a huge difference in how much power the beasty has. I'm running around at sea level so I have now idea how well it would work as high up as you are but its a way to start off with a lot more umph. just a curious.

regards

If I swap an engine, it would be a DOHC varity BUT I would have to redo the exhaust. I can't see how 10% more liters yield that much more power.

From Wikipedia

The VG30E 3.0 L (2960 cc) produced 153 hp (114 kW) and 182 ft·lbf (247 N·m).

The VG33E 3.3 L (3275 cc) produced 170 hp (134 kW) and 202 ft·lbf (274 N·m).

Like I figured - about a 10% increase in power when going to 3.3 liters. Granted I have never driven the VG33.

25+ PSI at sea level with a good sized turbo as long as the tuning is spot on to prevent detonation. VGs have "glass" pistons, detonation with any kind of major force to it usually blows piston skirts/ring lands right off.

Can't wait to see videos of this thing running around. :D

Thanks! I am in need of bigger injectors (another post) and a bigger fuel pump (Walbro).

Edited by 2milehi

vg33 with cams will do around 200hp NA (turbo would be amazing) and the big draw is that you dont have to "make it fit" - however no point in any engine swap unless you have a blown motor or a lot of spare cash.

did you upgrade your cams on this turbo build? If not, why not?

From Wikipedia

Like I figured - about a 10% increase in power when going to 3.3 liters. Granted I have never driven the VG33.

You will actually get much more power if you swap the 3.0 camshafts into the 3.3 engine.

vg33 with cams will do around 200hp NA (turbo would be amazing) and the big draw is that you dont have to "make it fit" - however no point in any engine swap unless you have a blown motor or a lot of spare cash.

Just stock cams. I have about $700 total in the turbo build. Cams would break the bank.

Sorry to highjack the thread, but anyone knows where I can get VG33 cylinder heads (that's what I need to do make my VG30 to VG33 right?) and probably will be able to ship them to Chile? I didn't find any at ebay.. :scratchhead:

Sorry to highjack the thread, but anyone knows where I can get VG33 cylinder heads (that's what I need to do make my VG30 to VG33 right?) and probably will be able to ship them to Chile? I didn't find any at ebay.. :scratchhead:

No, that is not what you need to make a VG33. VG33 is a different engine. If you want more explanation please start a new thread as this one is about this sweet turbo setup.

• Like 1

If I swap an engine, it would be a DOHC varity BUT I would have to redo the exhaust. I can't see how 10% more liters yield that much more power.

From Wikipedia

Thanks! I am in need of bigger injectors (another post) and a bigger fuel pump (Walbro).

Its not that its just 10% larger its that you can actualy make it a 3.4 or 3.5. I figured going turbo was about getting as much gas as possible into the cylinder I thought maybe a bigger cylinder would allow you to get closer to your power goals without having to use as much boost.

Also just a comparisson between vg30 auto and vg33 converted to manual 5th gear is actualy a gear to be used for acceleration uphill as opposed to just a craptastic cruising gear.

Any ways awesome build :crossedwires:

Edited by ejin4499

Really awesome work you are doing there !! Just watched your 2 videos, that's some exhaust leak sounds like open manifolds !! I'm sure you will get it taken care of, like to see video after you do!! Keep up the excellent work !!

So after a dozen or so drill bits (broken), a broken easy-out, and a mangled screwdriver I finally extracted the broken stud from the passenger side rear exhaust port. Also the passenger side manifold was "open". I pulled the manifold off and checked for squareness and the rear port was almost a 1/4" out of square. I had another manifold that was a lot more square. This extraction was pretty rough on the threads. I really couldn't get a 11/32 drill square to the hole for the 10 x 1.25 exhaust stud. I first used a 9 x 1.25 tap and that followed the 8 x 1.25 threads pretty good. Then in the same fashion I used a 10 x 1.25 tap to cut the threads. That also worked well and left me a hole that was pretty square to the exhaust port.

So all this effort was not in vain. It took care of the exhaust leak and it sounds so much better. Now if I can find some bigger drop-in injectors that don't cost a small fortune. I also have a Walbro fuel pump on the way.

Edited by 2milehi

I did get the Walbro pump in the mail yesterday but that is about it. I haven't had much of a chance to do anything on the Pf. Responsibilities with work and rental properties. And the next few weeks don't look much better. The injectors have also brought me to a stop. I am having trouble finding higher flowing injectors that will fit into the stock fuel rails. Nobody really knows if other types of side-feed injectors will work in the stock fuel rails. I really don't want to start hand-crafting fuel lines in there. That will really up the price of this power-adder install.

Edited by 2milehi

And the brains behind the whole operation. Once done tuning I will remove the wires for the wide band controller and install the rest of the covers over the ECU.

IMGP2476.jpg

I'm curious how you determined which wires ran from where on the MS board to each pin on the ecu connector. Were there instructions for that with the megasquirt?

Amazing build!

All right - one step forward two steps back. But those back steps brought forth valuable knowledge.

So here are the two steps back. Top plenum is removed along with the fuel rail and injectors.

IMGP2536.jpg

The good news is that I put a Subaru side feed injector in place of the #1 stock injector. No fuel leaks and the Pf ran fine. I will use some lock-tight to keep the cap screws from backing out. They don't fully seat but there was no fuel leaking. The nozzle does stick out a 1/4" more but it does not interfere with anything in the intake port.

IMGP2535.jpg

So this means other side feed injectors will work!

I'm curious how you determined which wires ran from where on the MS board to each pin on the ecu connector. Were there instructions for that with the megasquirt?

Amazing build!

Thanks! I had to use factory schematics to locate which wire went to which pin. I have some notes and spreadsheets that I will post for anyone who might be interested.

You can get a Z31 lower intake manifold and turbo injector rails. That opens up a whole new ballpark of injector options.

Will the top intake of my Pf bolt to this intake?

curious on the flow rates of the Subaru side feeds, and also, how do you find the megasquirts as far as tuneability?

we dont see them in Australia all that often. Im used to seeing crappy Microtechs down here.

Also, congratulations on the VG30DETT install. I must say im not a fan of Nissan V6s, especially the VG30DETT Z32s, but i can appreciate the amount of time and effort that you have put into this build! I am currently replacing the Z24 in my Pathy with a FJ20ET, and finiding the time is a nightmare, for a almost straight swap. I wish i had the time up my sleeves that you would of required for your build. Please keep everyone posted with this build!

James.

curious on the flow rates of the Subaru side feeds, and also, how do you find the megasquirts as far as tuneability?

we dont see them in Australia all that often. Im used to seeing crappy Microtechs down here.

Also, congratulations on the VG30DETT install. I must say im not a fan of Nissan V6s, especially the VG30DETT Z32s, but i can appreciate the amount of time and effort that you have put into this build! I am currently replacing the Z24 in my Pathy with a FJ20ET, and finiding the time is a nightmare, for a almost straight swap. I wish i had the time up my sleeves that you would of required for your build. Please keep everyone posted with this build!

James.

I didn't do a VG30DETT installed, I just added a turbo to a VG30.

The STi side feeds flow 560 cc/min (I am not sure at what pressure). Here is a kit that does what I am doing. DIYPNP

diypnp-day2-001_500.gif

Will the top intake of my Pf bolt to this intake?

Yep, it's actually a somewhat common performance mod for us Z31 people - using a Pathfinder intake.

I didn't do a VG30DETT installed, I just added a turbo to a VG30.

The STi side feeds flow 560 cc/min (I am not sure at what pressure). Here is a kit that does what I am doing. DIYPNP

diypnp-day2-001_500.gif

560cc injectors should be plenty. Nissan 550ccs are usually enough for 100HP per injector potential! Of course you wont need all that, but fuel delivery should be NO problem...LOL. Good work. Keep it up. I think we may be inspiring a few other members to jump in with us and try some turbo upgrades. :beer::aok:

It always helps to see other "get it going". I myself have been inspired by others to take a stab at something. This is the first time I have dove in with both feet. It has been a little frustrating but I get through it. And some times you just have to go for it and see what happens. :fireworx:

Sorry champ, didnt read the whole thread. just skimmed and assumed you dropped the DETT in it. Must of read something in another thread about the DETT swap? And what i was trying to ask about the MS ecu.. is it an easy ecu to tune, or does the amount of stuffing around with the ignition and fuel maps make you want to jump infront of a bus?