Adding a turbo/intercooler to my '95 Pathfinder

2milehi

go to an external w/g internals have a history of boost creep which leads to a lean spike and can cause detination, i would try to get it on a dyno so you can do some hard 4th gear pulls and blow the fuel/igniton maps up and see whats happening under heavy load get your a/f ratio down for what ever boost level you want then take it to the street and see what real world driving looks like in the data log sessions, try to keep the duty cycle below %80 and bring up the a/f to 12.0-12.5, 11 is kinda dangerous to tune with out a detination monitor of some sort

go to an external w/g internals have a history of boost creep which leads to a lean spike and can cause detination, i would try to get it on a dyno so you can do some hard 4th gear pulls and blow the fuel/igniton maps up and see whats happening under heavy load get your a/f ratio down for what ever boost level you want then take it to the street and see what real world driving looks like in the data log sessions, try to keep the duty cycle below %80 and bring up the a/f to 12.0-12.5, 11 is kinda dangerous to tune with out a detination monitor of some sort

Your sentence structure is kind of hard to follow. As for boost creep, I opened up the internal wastegate hole and I am not seeing any boost creep. Also I will tune for the higher boost pressure and therefore not have a lean issue. If it does overboost the MS will shut it down. So I feel that I am covered there. As for monitoring detonation, I will be using detonation cans to tune in the final fuel/spark map. I have built a detonation detection circuit for my Subie and it works ok.

Edited by 2milehi

I added the boost controller and went into no-man's land - 17 psi. Bad part is the clutch starts to slip in 4th gear at that boost level. So I'll just run 11 psi for now.

ah bs lol get a stage 2 clutch and tune it for a higher boost level 11 psi is for kindergardeners lol :jk: thats actually good it shows that there is a lot left you just need to tune to get it, im betting you could almost hit 23 psi, but you might wanna think about a set of je forged pistons first.... read the signature it tells all lol

Edited by WarehouseRat

As long as the tune is spot on, you can throw an amazing amount of boost at a stock VG. Detonation is generally the killer of them, the pistons are cast and don't appreciate it much. They like to blow the skirts apart.

If this engine isn't up to the task (every engine is different) and something goes wrong, replace it with a VG33. You'll love the throttle and boost response from the set up.

Let me guess - you really like the vg33 engine. ;)

Anyway I am going to drag the boat and camping gear for 4 hours this weekend. We will see what happens.

More displacement, higher compression ratio, better flowing heads, and it's almost entirely drop in. The throttle response of a boosted VG33 is astounding.

More displacement, higher compression ratio, better flowing heads, and it's almost entirely drop in. The throttle response of a boosted VG33 is astounding.

Yes it is, I would reccomend the xterra or frontier VG33, not that there is anything wrong with pathfinders VG33, just less work if you go with the xterra or fronty.

• 9 months later...
  • 4 years later...

Hey guys just a little update possibly on some usable tech for the fuel system in this situation.

Instead of wasting money on a walbro, get a single or dual Bosch 040 60mm housing fuel pump setup with a surge tank.

Plumb in a small in tank fuel pump in the stock WD-21 fuel pump location in the tank to pump fuel from the tank to the surge tank.

The surge tank will keep your race pump (or pumps depending on if you want single or dual pumps) happy and wet and from ever having fuel starvation, even if you are wheeling in a super crazy position.

Dual 040 pumps should support 700-800hp easily.

Also! Look at Wish.com for the no name Bosch 040 fuel pumps... Last I saw they were dirt cheap and they work and have good reviews! Wish.com also carries a variety of fuel surge tanks for single and dual 040 60mm pump setups.

Peace!

• 2 weeks later...

How come the rpm rises so slowly (seems like it anyway) when you open the throttle? Can you explain the bottom six traces? I don't know the acronyms...

Hard to tell how quickly something ramps up without knowing a time frame for the log. Though it is a bit odd how long it took to reach peak boost once it was WOT. AFR looks good throughout except for that "lean" spot around 1500'ish rpms.

• 5 years later...