Shocks/Struts for 1999.5 SE?

Skiwee10

Looking for a brand that is not really expensive that can hold up to some off-roading as well. I've heard KYB's are not that great, but maybe someone can correct me here. Also, if someone can estimate how much this might be from a local mechanic shop that would be helpful too, as I'd like to have an idea before going in for an estimate so I'm not getting totally ripped off.

Looking for a brand that is not really expensive that can hold up to some off-roading as well. I've heard KYB's are not that great, but maybe someone can correct me here. Also, if someone can estimate how much this might be from a local mechanic shop that would be helpful too, as I'd like to have an idea before going in for an estimate so I'm not getting totally ripped off. The best price and brands all the local shops seem to carry around here are KYB, and they're around $800 out the door total (installed) I can get Monroe for about $500, but figure the KYB's might be worth the extra $300?

$800?? Wow, what a rip off! KYB-GR2 struts are the best we got, and they perform well (better than the Ranchos from what I hear). Monroe is junk. I had those. Went off road twice, and they blew after only 6k miles (to be exact, the valve inside broke to pieces). You can get the KYB's struts and shocks for $200 on ebay from one of the vendors. $600 for labor does not sound right at all. I'd go back and see what he would charge if you brought the struts/shocks already. If he says he won;t do it because he has to order them, then go somewhere else.

Jose

I did mine last January. Here's what I paid:

KYB front struts: 335030 (left), 335031 (right), $64 each at Amazon.com

KYB boots (SB139), $11.78 each at Amazon.com

Nissan OEM front strut mounting insulators 54320-2W10 $27.55 each at everythingnissan.com

Nissan OEM front strut mounting insulators 54325-5V000 $22.05 each at everythingnissan.com

Labor for install: $150, which includes the $40 alignment

KYB KG4163 shocks $47.92 x2 from Amazon.com

Labor for install: $120

The rears are easy, I could have done that myself but I also had the guy replace my coil springs on the front and back, which was included in those labor totals, so I figured why not because it was essentially a lift kit install. Total cost for me was $616.60. So yeah, your $800 estimate sounds really high.

I didn't include the cost of the coils, even though I had those done at the same time. But if you want to know, they were $150 for the set of 4. OME 0922 in the back and OME 0923 in the front.

Don't ever go to a mechanic that won't let you bring in your own parts. They make money by charging you way too much for the parts. As you can see, you can find them yourself elsewhere and any reputable mechanic will be happy to just provide the labor. They shouldn't charge more than $80/hr, and front suspension shouldn't take more than 2 hours, rears less than one one hour unless you're doing the coils too, like I did.

Thanks guys! I got the guy down to $750 for some Rancho's. Rancho said they did not make them for my vehicle (1999.5 SE) but the mechanic said he found them from a supplier when they used to make them (he was saying they made them at one time, just now now) He said the boots were red. Hopefully he's putting Rancho's on there! Can anyone confirm if the Rancho's were ever even made for my vehicle? I wanna make sure this guy is telling the truth. Thanks!

Ha! Thanks Howie, I thought KYB's came with red boots as well? Maybe not. I can't seem to confirm if Rancho's were ever made for a 1999.5 Nissan Pathfinder SE. Does anyone know?

I personally got KYB's put on about 2k miles ago. I love them. Its like riding on a cloud. But now its going to be a little different cuz im getting the rest of my lift put on tomorrow. I even did light offroading with all my stock suspension and never had a problem with them.

Do get OEM strut bearings, mounts, and hardware.

Thats how i did it. For me, parts were $350, and labor was $200. So id think your looking somewhere in the vacinity or $550 - $600.

hope that helps

I personally got KYB's put on about 2k miles ago. I love them. Its like riding on a cloud. But now its going to be a little different cuz im getting the rest of my lift put on tomorrow. I even did light offroading with all my stock suspension and never had a problem with them.

Do get OEM strut bearings, mounts, and hardware.

Thats how i did it. For me, parts were $350, and labor was $200. So id think your looking somewhere in the vacinity or $550 - $600.

hope that helps

After you put on that 2" inch lift, it won't ride like a cloud anymore but you will get other benifits from it like clearance for larger tires and then going big on the trails. It will ride like an off-road vehicle should.

I had front Rancho struts when I first installed my lift and they died about 3 months later. I dont' recommend going with those struts at all. They are terribel. I installed the KYB-GR2 struts and they made a huge change in performance. I'm very satisfied with these struts and they do great off-roading.

Sorry about the double post guys! I'm getting them put on Friday. The $750 is for struts and shocks, all Rancho. I hope they hold up to some off-roading well as I was told, because they'll be getting a test here soon! Heck I've taken it off road with the factory stuff on and never had a real problem, so these babies better handle bumps and stumps like they're not even there!:)

Where do you find the bilsteins that fit for our r50's? I have a 2003 qx4, and need to replace my suspension. I REALLY want to get the bilsteins for the back shocks, but dont want to purchase them from 4x4parts.com because i know they tend to be overpriced. If you know the part number for the rears, hook it up so i can bargain shop for them. I dont think they make the front struts, so probably go with the kyb gr-2's.

Sorry about the double post guys! I'm getting them put on Friday. The $750 is for struts and shocks, all Rancho. I hope they hold up to some off-roading well as I was told, because they'll be getting a test here soon! Heck I've taken it off road with the factory stuff on and never had a real problem, so these babies better handle bumps and stumps like they're not even there!:)

Holy confusing thread batman. Hard to tell which posts are about struts and which about shocks...or both...Anywho...

Rancho USED to make rear shocks for the R50 but not anymore....They were RSX 17000 and stopped making them in the last 12 months some time....so if your mechanic found some of them you are good to go. If not, they aren't for the R50. RSX 17000s are what I run and been happy with them. Trust nothing on 4x4parts.com for product application info unless you've confirmed it elsewhere. They show Rancho shocks on their site for the R50....5000s I believe...but they are not. Good luck with the Rancho struts...I've heard many folks say they aren't nearly as good as the KYBs...but I have no personal experience with the Rancho struts.

Well, I've had the Rancho struts for 3.5 years and 40K miles. I've abused them beyond belief and they were wonderful. They were wonderful until 3 weeks ago when I blew one up doing something stupid - seal went bad and leaked all over the wheel well. I'm going with the KYB GR2's only because I want to see for myself the difference. I'll probably generate a brand new post because I might be the only person who had the Rancho's for so long and then switched to KYB's.

I will freely admit though that I drove my friends R50 with the KYB GR2's and it seemed "smoother"...but maybe that's because he has and ARB sahara bar with a winch to help keep the front end feel settled and not so firm.

Good luck.

• 1 year later...

So far, I'm the only one running ORI's. Peoples eyes popped out of their heads when I told them how much the cost. I hacked up my stock struts and used the spindle mount and the upper mount to custom fit the ORI's. The idea I used should work for other similiar types of shocks that have hemispherical mounting bearings top and bottom. This idea at least makes it possible to use other products out there that wern't specifically designed as pathfinder struts. Although, it requires extensive fab work.

So far, I'm the only one running ORI's. Peoples eyes popped out of their heads when I told them how much the cost. I hacked up my stock struts and used the spindle mount and the upper mount to custom fit the ORI's. The idea I used should work for other similiar types of shocks that have hemispherical mounting bearings top and bottom. This idea at least makes it possible to use other products out there that wern't specifically designed as pathfinder struts. Although, it requires extensive fab work.

Pictures please!! Also you wouldn't happen to have a write up on this would you??