Pioneer HPM-100 home speakers

ahardb0dy

Will be picking up a pair of these Pioneer speakers this weekend, a guy I work with has them, he bought them new in 1978 when he was in the military, wanted to see if anyone ever had a pair or if anyone still does and see what you think/thought about them. link below:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pioneer_HPM-100

I'll be picking them up on Saturday, I did find out they are the low power version but my Sansui receiver puts out 60 watts and with it connected to my pair of Klipsch Heresy speakers I haven't had the volume past 4 as it is so damn loud!!

pic of my "old school" system, speakers are now sitting on a pair of DIY stands I made, turntable is a JVC, dual tape deck is a Tascam 302, I have a Aiwa AD-f990 tape deck also that is being repaired:

24mti6s.jpg

2w68ig4.jpg

j0csgx.jpg

b69c9c.jpg

Edited by ahardb0dy

I'll be picking them up on Saturday, I did find out they are the low power version but my Sansui receiver puts out 60 watts and with it connected to my pair of Klipsch Heresy speakers I haven't had the volume past 4 as it is so damn loud!!

This, to anybuddy that dont think old speakers are any good is completly true, Klipsch Heresy speakers are 30 years old but are still the best you can buy. They looked spray painted when new but are 1000 time better then sony, yamaha and bose.

The Klipsch speakers I have were given to me by the same guy who sold me the turntable, mine are the natural finish, they look like they are made out of plywood.

"Bose"is a bad 4 letter word to me, my buddy at work has a pair of 901's he bought in the military, I tell him real speakers don't come with an equalizer to work.

Edited by ahardb0dy

I just refurbished my dad's 40 year old EPI mini tower speakers. I grew up listening to great music when I was a young child back in the late 70's. I have an older Harmon/Kardon amp that I will probably set up in one of our spare bedrooms to create my own personal listening "chamber".

I too love vintage speakers.

Mine are the same as yours, there still 400+ a pair on Ebay. They do look like plywood but there horns are the full leath of the speaker. And given the fact that there from the same company who makes speakers for movie theaters I would say there pretty good quility, they dont have a lot of bass too them though.

Mine are the same as yours, there still 400+ a pair on Ebay. They do look like plywood but there horns are the full leath of the speaker. And given the fact that there from the same company who makes speakers for movie theaters I would say there pretty good quility, they dont have a lot of bass too them though.

I agree with the lack of bass, they sound better against the wall and raised as I have them. I've even read where they said they used to use the heresy's as front speakers in a surround setup with a seperate sub.