Quickie Torsion Bar Question

Today I just finished replacing the cv axles on the front of my 88. After I got everything put back on and lowered the vehicle off the jack I noticed that the front end was sitting a bit lower than before I replaced them. Did I somehow knock the torsion bars out of adjustment? I've never messed with these before, but looked at the how-to in the garage section. What I'm wondering is do you just jack up the front of the vehicle and then loosen the locknut and tighten the bottom nut on both bolts on the crossmember? The how-to section was a bit more involved, but I'm thinking that was just because it was showing you how to get more adjustment if it was already maxed out?

Did you touch the torsion bars when you replaced the axle? If not than the height should not have changed. If you do have to adjust the bars, you can just loosen the top lock nut and tighten the bottom bolt, you may have to hold the larger top nut while tightning the bottom bolt, providing the adjuster has room to move further upwards, if it doesn't than you would have to re-index the bars by removing them completely (one at a time) and pulling the adjuster off the rear of the bar, turning it slightly so you have more room when you re-tighten the bolts.

Well I adjusted the t-bars and now it sets at the appropriate ride hide. Thanks for the help! Although what you said about the compression rod bushings got me to thinking if mine need to be replaced. I don't know if or when they have, but I don't want to replace them if they are still in good shape. Any way to test them, either visually or some other way?

if the bushings are bad you would probably see movement if you pried on the compression rod with a pry bar, if you take the rear nut off and unbolt the rod from the arm you would be able to visually tell if anything is wrong, if you do pull the rod you want to make sure you check the hole in the mount under the frame to see if it is elongated or larger than it is supposed to be, I have a pic below of where to look:

this pic shows a bad hole, also missing the metal "cup" that the bushing is supposed to sit in

2hnv1at.jpg

this is the page from the FSM showing what the mount is supposed to look like and also shows the size of the hole, 27mm:

deqj9s.jpg

Edited by ahardb0dy

So how can a problem this extreme be fixed? If the hole in the bracket is this bad, won't the new bushings wear out all the faster?

I'm looking at replacing mine with ES bushings, but my bracket looks a lot like the picture above. It's kind of disheartening.

I've been chasing mine for about 6 months now...and before i could get the new bearing races welded on guess what...my welder broke...so the races on there right now havent broken loose so i'm ok but i need to get it fixed up soon...as far as the hole...you could weld a new piece of steel in to fill that or cut the old out and weld in a whole new square

the red lines in my picture is where I had a plate welded on to fix the out of round hole, well I did that on my 87 Hardbody, I checked my 94 pathfinder the other day and couldn't believe the cups are still there.

Damn. That's not what I wanted to hear. :(

I'm gonna have to go ghetto on mine until the parts come in. I replaced the missing thrust washer with a flat one I had laying around; Now I'll just flip the worn bushings around, tighten the piss out of the nuts and hope she holds.

I'll get to fixing the wallowed-out cups this weekend.... What a bummer.

I had a couple washers layin around I welded on when I did my bushings... My holes were actually fairly decent but I just wanted the added piece of mind since it took all of about 10 extra minutes to do so (including coffee time...) Couldn't tell you the washer specs though... They were bi with the right size hole :shrug: like I said though, I didn't "need" to, I just did it.

Good advice. Thanks.

My cups are still there, but the hole is a mess. I'll have to find something that will fit inside the dish.... Or just grind them off.

If money and time were no object, I'd buy a whole new bracket. $55 from Nissan.

• 4 years later...

the red lines in my picture is where I had a plate welded on to fix the out of round hole, well I did that on my 87 Hardbody, I checked my 94 pathfinder the other day and couldn't believe the cups are still there.

I AM HAVE PROBLEMS LIKE IN YOUR PICTURES. COULD YOU CALL ME AT 931-310-7628. MY NAME IS ANTHONY. THANKS!!!! THIS MESSAE IS TO ------------- ahardb0dy