Snorkel for an 96-99.5 R50?

I know there are different choices for Snorkels....even ones that are not officially designated for certain years or types or the make your own types. Which brands and which snorkels really fit? I found these on line....the say they're made of fiberglas and not the stronger polymaterial. Don't know too much about it, but by looking at the pics do you think they'll fit?

ac3adeae.jpg

0f370f1f.jpg

Yeah I have seen those cheaper ones on ebay from a company in Malaysia (I believe). They will probably fit, but I wouldn't put too much confidence in them (you get what you pay for). Only problem with fiberglass is that if you hit it hard enough with a branch on a trail or something, it will shatter to pieces. The more expensive plastic ones are made from a high-impact "super" plastic that will flex/bend when hit.

This is the "offical" one made for the first/second gen R50's. It is nick-named "the leech" for a reason. Costs around $350+shipping. 4x4parts.com stocks them:

r50_snorkel1.jpg

http://www.snorkels.com.au/p/530501/airflow-snorkel-kit-nissan-pathfinder-r50-up-to-2005-.html

Then there is the Safari snorkel. The one made for the Navara will fit on our trucks. Actually it will fit on a lot of vehicles. I have seen people put them on WD21's, D21's, R50's, Toyota's, Jeep Cherokee's, etc. It is not a perfect fit, but it seems to work very well. You can order it from most anywhere that sells snorkels. Problem is that it costs $450+shipping:

navara_snorkel.jpg

http://www.safarisnorkel.com/snorkel/ss720hf/ss720hf.htm

After that there is custom made.

Edited by Northernpathy

dont necessarily need them. mine is plastic potty piping. i was just using them as an example. my fab skills royally suck, but for the cost difference, i was willing to try it, since a new fender painted plus everything else, was still less on the wallet.

but it was just a suggestion, its not like i got him wrapped around my pinky or anything

Edited by skulptr

Potty piping! :lol:

I agree with Adam on this, only because I lack the patience to fab certain things, a snorkel being one of them. :blush02:

I'd go with the D22 Safari snorkel, primarily because it's so versatile. Second, I've seen it on Dan's (vengeful) R50 and it looked downright awesome. :aok:

Potty piping! :lol:

I agree with Adam on this, only because I lack the patience to fab certain things, a snorkel being one of them. :blush02:

I'd go with the D22 Safari snorkel, primarily because it's so versatile. Second, I've seen it on Dan's (vengeful) R50 and it looked downright awesome. :aok:

X 2......I saw the write up years ago Dan did on his snorkel...I just couldn't remember which one he used. I think the Safari Snorkel looks way better.

Cost me $80+tax. $20 for 6ft of straight pipe, and $60 for the three elbows ($20 each). So pretty much $100.

Not all of us have the fab skills though bud.

Put a few pieces of pipe together and weld the connections. If I can do it, I am sure most people here could as well. Even if you have a cheap basic welder, you can do it no problem.

If not, you could always use ABS plastic pipe. Still does the same job in the end.

Yeah it is the most versatile and looks the best. Problem is the $450US+shipping price tag. I figured that by the time it got here it would have cost nearly $600. I was quoted $80 and $115 shipping by two places. Then add the customs/duties, etc.

Edited by Northernpathy

Cost me $80+tax. $20 for 6ft of straight pipe, and $60 for the three elbows ($20 each). So pretty much $100.

Put a few pieces of pipe together and weld the connections. If I can do it, I am sure most people here could as well. Even if you have a cheap basic welder, you can do it no problem.

If not, you could always use ABS plastic pipe. Still does the same job in the end.

Do you have any pics? You used metal instead of pvc or plastic? where did you go through the fender? any pics would be appreciated?

Edited by muddfildvaynes

Then there is the Safari snorkel. The one made for the Navara will fit on our trucks. Actually it will fit on a lot of vehicles. I have seen people put them on WD21's, D21's, R50's, Toyota's, Jeep Cherokee's, etc. It is not a perfect fit, but it seems to work very well. You can order it from most anywhere that sells snorkels. Problem is that it costs $450+shipping:

navara_snorkel.jpg

http://www.safarisnorkel.com/snorkel/

Do you know which model number???

SS700HF? SS720HF? or SS725HF?

Safari SS700HF

Snorkel Nissan Navara March 92 2.7lt Diesel

$ 455

Safari SS720HF

Snorkel Nissan Navara 3.2lt Diesel

$ 429

Safari SS725HF

Snorkel Nissan Navara 3.0lt Turbo Diesel