bench test for warped head

ejin4499

I got a engine from a junkyard that I have been tearing down to rebuild and I think that one of the heads might be warped. is there a test that I can try other than sending it in. I know sending it would be the most accurate way but I was hoping for a "if it does this than its probably but still might be not warped" If that makes any sense.

thanks

I've found that a cheapish aluminum level can sometimes be quite straight. Not as good as a proper square, but waaay cheaper. If you try this and find that your head is flat, then it probably is. If you find that the head seems warped then you might not be able to tell if it's the head or the level.

A stout piece of glass evenly supported should be quite flat (I have a small granite slab) but a proper straight edge will suffice as well. Use them in conjunction with light and feeler gauges.

B

Ok so I cleaned both the aluminum head and the shortblock surface. I ran a metal ruler edge across the surface of the heads and I couldn't see the light or put a peice of paper between them. when I put the head on the block they looked like they mated very well. My only concern is that when the head is on the block there is a tiny amount of wobble between them. Not enough to see but enough that I can feel it. This is all of course without any gasket in place.

It sounds like you are ok. Paper is .003-.004" thick and the spec can't be that tight. If there is the slightest burr, rolled edge, grit or bend you would feel a wobble but the gasket will negate it. I am assuming the the ruler you used was dead straight... :shrug:

B

It sounds like you are ok. Paper is .003-.004" thick and the spec can't be that tight. If there is the slightest burr, rolled edge, grit or bend you would feel a wobble but the gasket will negate it. I am assuming the the ruler you used was dead straight... :shrug:

B

unless the counter my workbench the other head and the engine block are all warped exactly the same way at 4 different angles it was pretty straight :tongue: