Oil Filter Relocation for R50 Vq35

WOT

Mornin guys, another oil change is coming up, and well, I hate changing this cars oil, having to take off my skid plate and still getting oil spill problems is getting on my last nerve lol

Id like to relocate the filter higher up in the engine bay most likely over on the air filter side since Ive made so much room there

Ive been unable to find a kit for my VQ35DE equipped motor though, is it best to buy a premade kit?? Or just assemble one yourself?

Didnt know of any quality to look for , or stay away from, or if anyones even done this before.

All I see are universal sandwich adapters. AMSoil had a dual kit specifically for our cars but I dont need dual filters or have $329 for the kit lol.

I dont mind if I have to piece it together,

Id much rather make my own lines and just buy the adapter to the block, adapter that holds the filter where you want it, and just measure and get my own lines made.

I dont see any of that though, would be of some help if anyone knew our oil filter thread and pitch

Edited by WOT

There is no relocation kit for the 3.5

Many people have tried many different setups and nothing has worked.

There is a kit for the xterra people have tried to fit on the pathy, but it has never worked out either and leaked like hell.

Only way right now is to get a machine shop design/machine an adapter for you. But that would mean big bucks.

It just so happens I am a machinist.... but am not employed in the machining world at the moment lol, I wouldnt want to design my own anyways, Im no engineeer

They do make alot of thread on Universal adapters. I would need to figure the thread and pitch size though.

I REALLY hate dropping my skid plate and spilling oil in the cold. This would be of so much help, and could be fun to change the oil lol.

I have electric fans and a cold air intake replacing the factory shroud and huge intake box, so I have alot of room to work with in terms on mounting options for this relocation

This is the only promising link I have found. OPn ebay ofcourse.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/NISSAN-UNIVERSAL-RELOCATION-MALE-FITTING-ADAPTOR-KIT-/180540631354?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3A350Z&hash=item2a090f693a

Do you guys see any reason why that wouldnt fit and thread onto the stock location?? Assuming the thread pitch it the same. The one end just spins on like a filter, then mount the other end where I want it with new filter (im unsure what filter this thing uses but that shouldnt be to hard)

Then I can get 2 -8an lines made up and poof...

Any reason that wont work? Prones to warped flanges? Leaks?

The orientation of the lines looks to be correct for placement on our engine and would have the lines facing down and foward where I dont believe there is anything in its way...

This is the only promising link I have found. OPn ebay ofcourse.

http://cgi.ebay.ca/NISSAN-UNIVERSAL-RELOCATION-MALE-FITTING-ADAPTOR-KIT-/180540631354?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&fits=Model%3A350Z&hash=item2a090f693a

Do you guys see any reason why that wouldnt fit and thread onto the stock location?? Assuming the thread pitch it the same. The one end just spins on like a filter, then mount the other end where I want it with new filter (im unsure what filter this thing uses but that shouldnt be to hard)

Then I can get 2 -8an lines made up and poof...

Any reason that wont work? Prones to warped flanges? Leaks?

The orientation of the lines looks to be correct for placement on our engine and would have the lines facing down and foward where I dont believe there is anything in its way...

Eh. Hard to say.

The ebay system seems to be messed up and won't let me check if it is compatible with the pathy. I would send the seller a message and ask him to start off with.

Not sure about quality. Looks like some cheap chinese/japanese performance part that they import by the thousands for only a couple bucks each. Not sure if I would trust something so important to keep your truck running that only costs $38.

Like a lot of things, you might have to be the guinea pig and buy one to see if it works. Most people thought the relocation kit from the xterra would fit as it looked and measured up good, but once installed it was nothing but problems.

Wix website says M20x1.5 on the pitch

Thanks for looking that up

I will wait to see what the seller responds to my email, but I may just go head and give this thing a whirl. Im a fair judge of quality especially since Ive worked with aluminum for so long

That access window in the skid plate is a great idea, mine isnt as thick as yours looks though, I guess I could weld more material on the back to leave clearance for countersunk screw heads...

:itsallgood:

God damn that skid plate is nice I cant stop looking at it!!

EDIT: The adapter guy just emailed me back with a stupid ass responce.

I asked

"Do you know the thread pitch and diameter that this adapter uses so I can make sure it will spin onto my engine.

Thank you"

He wrote

"Hello.

Probably will not since it is universal. You might

have to custom make some fittings.

thank you! "

:deadhorse:

Edited by WOT

I kinda gave him a lame responce back and said I was interested in buying 20 of them and really needed to know the thread pitch of this adapter before I spent so much money, not to be a dick or anything, but I hope that makes him actually check and give me accurate numbers

Check back tomorrow I guess :FartExplode-vi:

God damn that skid plate is nice I cant stop looking at it!!

Why not buy one from fleury then and save the hassle on your remote oil filter setup and have a heavy duty skid plate? ;)

He sells them for the R50's: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=22475

I got one on my pathy. It replaced my home made one and is much nicer.

The guy got back to me and it indeed does use a M20 X 1.5 thread on his adapter.

I think Im fgoing to go ahead and give this a try, my local hose fitting place says it will be about $60-80 to get my custom braided lines in 36" length with the -10an fiting crimped on. Was only like $20 for regular hydraulic hose but I thikn I want that extra protection especially for oil lines.

I think this is worth the money to me. Ill check the adapter when I get it to make sure its mounting surfaces are flat and true, and cross my fingers!!

Does it sound good?? Im quite surprised knowone has done this, maybe Im stupid and just like messing with my truck and should leave it alone. But in my head this seems like a perfectly fine idea with no downfalls other than a leak, which I would see right away Id imagine.

:scratchhead:

I was just watching Jims video, he seems to have used the exact same kit I linked to. THey really must be universal, I was wonderring why it had 2 o rings to seal against the engine

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l15ZGYe8S2M?fs=1&hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l15ZGYe8S2M?fs=1&hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>

I was just watching Jims video, he seems to have used the exact same kit I linked to. THey really must be universal, I was wonderring why it had 2 o rings to seal against the engine

Yeah but his isn't an R50 with the 3.5L. No guarantee it will fit/work on your engine.

Did a quick search on "oil filter relocation kit VQ35". This guy bought a pre made kit for his Nissan with the VQ35DE:

http://forums.maxima.org/general-maxima-discussion/357337-oil-filter-relocation-success.html

Link to the kit: http://tinyurl.com/24h2f2t

You have to search for SKU# HY291 for a 2002 Maxima for it to show up in the search for some reason.

Kit is $58.

Did a quick search on "oil filter relocation kit VQ35". This guy bought a pre made kit for his Nissan with the VQ35DE:

http://forums.maxima.org/general-maxima-discussion/357337-oil-filter-relocation-success.html

Link to the kit: http://tinyurl.com/24h2f2t

You have to search for SKU# HY291 for a 2002 Maxima for it to show up in the search for some reason.

Kit is $58.

is it me or this setup (maxima) will create a huge mess when he changes his filter.....? ! :scratchhead:

• Like 1

is it me or this setup (maxima) will create a huge mess when he changes his filter.....? ! :scratchhead:

Yes and no. Unless he gets an anti-drain back oil filter, the oil will just drain back into the engine when the engine is off. So if he wants to change his oil he will have to let the car sit with the engine off for 30mins or so.

It is not uncommon to have oil filters like that. The two oil filters on my deuce army truck are inverted by design.

DSC02893.jpg

But the only reason he installed the oil filter bracket like that was due to space. He couldn't fit it the other way around or else he wouldn't have enough space to remove the filter. You can install the filter bracket in the kit the other way around if you wanted.

here is the info the correct filter from fram, it is the 20mm x 1.5:

Part Number PH7317

Product Type Full-Flow Lube Spin-on

Anti-Drain Valve YES

Gasket I.D. 2.22"

Gasket O.D. 2.48"

Gasket Thickness .28"

Gasket Usage Base

Product Height 3.47"

Product I.D. 20mmx1.5mm Th'd

Product O.D. 2.69"

Relief Valve Setting PSI 13

Here are 2 kits from summit racing that should work, but you will have to verify the diameter of the O-ring for the spin on adapter will work with your engine.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/Part-Type/Oil-Filter-Relocation-Kits/Thread-Size/20mm-x-1-5/?keyword=oil+filter+relocation

Thanks guys!!

I notice alot of people that do these dont even get -10an fitting lines installed, it looks like most people just clamp hose onto barbs with worm clamps

Is this purely a cost effective method or is there another benefit?

probably just cost, I had braided SS lines on the kit I had on my 87 Hardbody and the lines sucked, but they came with the kit. If you are going to use AN fittings I would suggest going to a local hose shop and have them made, at least if there is a problem with one you can take it back.

There is no relocation kit for the 3.5

Many people have tried many different setups and nothing has worked.

There is a kit for the xterra people have tried to fit on the pathy, but it has never worked out either and leaked like hell.

Only way right now is to get a machine shop design/machine an adapter for you. But that would mean big bucks.

There is no option out there for either the VG- or VQ-powered R50. Kinda follows the trend of minimal aftermarket support. :thumbsdown:

Not sure about quality. Looks like some cheap chinese/japanese performance part that they import by the thousands for only a couple bucks each. Not sure if I would trust something so important to keep your truck running that only costs $38.

These two words don't belong together. Remember what you're driving. ;)

Cheap Chinese parts, on the other hand, are a dime a dozen.

But I digress. I have the Xterra kit sitting up in the attic, which I had attempted to install in March of '09. Here's the write-up:

R50 VG33E oil filter relocation kit

WOT, you mentioned something about designing your own custom sandwich plate. I think that would solve the issue I had with my kit. I'm not sure if that would apply with the VQ35DE but I'm sure it's similar.