Stock exhaust pipe diameter?

Igetstabby

This was my line of thinking as well. I consulted several high-end, custom exhaust shops and they all concurred that the 3.5 would thrive on the set-up I came up with. Back pressure is mostly created before/at the muffler anyway. In my case, it will be from the primaries back to the cats and a bit at the muffler. As for the sound, I don't really know what to expect, which is why I went the 50 series SUV (classified as a "moderate" sound) route instead of one of the "aggressive" ones. I don't think a single 3" would sound any more ricey then a dual 2.25 set-up, of which I have heard a few on the 3.5 that were a little too cracklypoppy/ricey for me. We shall see on Friday. :)

2.25" is WAY to small for a 3.5L engine to breathe freely. Are you going with Mandrel bent tubing?

Skulptr,

Anyone who wants performance out of their VG/VQ powered cars will put a large free-flowing exhaust system on. Look underneath 350Zs, not uncommon to see dual 3" exhaust systems. You ran a straight pipe and got terrible mileage? Do the VG33s run an upstream and downstream O2 sensor?My fuel mileage went up with no cat and 2.5" pipe from the y-pipe back, along with a little more mid to top end power. Low end didn't change any.

Edited by Kingman

Funny you should say that... I haven't had it at full flex but I've had it under basically full compression. The (now) upper pipe did bottom out on the upper link bracket on the axle first day when I took the video, took it back to the shop to get that problem addressed when they re-opened on the 28th, he bent up a new pipe and it's been good since.

My rear suspension is more or less toast, coils are very soft and as you might be able to see from my one shock, they're done too (that's the better one of the two) so I think I'm ok.

Got my cat-back exhaust done today, it sounds pretty much exactly like what I had hoped for with a little extra highway drone when not on a flat segment of road but nothing too annoying. No positive or negative change to horsepower or torque according to my butt dyno. Won't know any MPG change for a little while. Once I take some pics and video, I will post in a new thread.

Igetstabby: Exhaust looks good! Did you do that yourself?

Based on what I've read in this thread, I'm guessing the diameter would vary between the VG and VQ...? I'm curious because I'd like to do custom exhaust in the near future, and something that'll sound mean and provide some gains would be ideal.

Igetstabby: Exhaust looks good! Did you do that yourself?

Based on what I've read in this thread, I'm guessing the diameter would vary between the VG and VQ...? I'm curious because I'd like to do custom exhaust in the near future, and something that'll sound mean and provide some gains would be ideal.

I had a local shop do it up for me, I just supplied the muffler. Ran just short of 100 bucks more than a stock replacement would have been.

I'm also looking at replacing my exhaust. Not because I want to, because I NEED to. I have a hole in my muffler I can stick a finger through, and inspection is due next month. I'm pretty sure that won't pass ;)

I'm looking at the Flowmasters as well, I want a deep, non ricer sound. Do the 2 into 1 mufflers mentioned earlier fit on the stock pipes spacing wise? And then you just need the reducers and a few muffler clamps? I just want to make sure I don't need any bent joints or anything.

• 1 month later...

This isn't directed to anyone specific, but I don't understand why everyone is so quick to say that "No Back pressure is the way you want to go...". That's completely false. I mean, granted, there are circumstances where a larger diameter would be beneficial. But saying "The bigger, the better" without knowing about the application, is extremely wrong. Nissan ENGINEERS designed these cars, not you, not I, not the guy that is telling you to go 5" pipe all the way down. I agree that OEM isn't always the best, but if you do stray from OEM specs (while doing incorrectly), best believe you will encounter an SEL at some point. If you compensate for you upgrade appropriately, then cool, you're car will probably run great.

I just wanted to get my .02 cents in there, not that anyone gives a damn...lol. The rust has taken over my exhaust, and I'm dealing with a few holes. I'm looking for stainless steel, or something comparable. I did have a quick question though, as I am a little new to the Pathfinder world:

What Magnaflow exhaust is everyone talking about? Is it just the cats? Or piping? I've searched for a Magnaflow for the Pathy on their site, and there is nothing. Maybe you guys are talking about a universal muffler that you have to mod to fit our cars? Are you guys purchasing the exhaust for the Xterra and/or Titan and modding it? If someone could help me out, I appreciate it very much.

Thanks everyone,

Vannak

Edited by vannaksao

• 5 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Hi guys,  i know this is an old thread but im hoping to get some help anyways.  I am looking to upgrade my exhaust on my 02 3.5 SE.  I have seen alot of the stuff yall have already mentioned in this thread but i was thinking of doing something different.  I am considerering doing 2 single in/out mufflers and going true dual.  has anyone else done or seen this done on an R50?

Not sure about the VQ specifically but true duals on a V6 doesn't tend to work that well from what I've read. A y-piped system gets a little scavenging from one bank to the other (exhaust pulse on one side helps evacuate the last of the previous pulse on the other side).