Suspension upgrade

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very cool. Love the stance...

AS for the swaybars, when I removed mine the whole dang truck became a weeble wobble of scariness! But I drive it anyway...

I don't plan on getting into any high speed pursuits in it...hahaha

Looks great man, really does!

HOLY!!!! That is awesome man! Im kinda curious and have a few questions for ya though!

-How does it drive on the street? Does it have alot of sway since the sway bar is no longer existant?

-How much did the struts and everything set you back if you dont mind sharing?

-More pics and videos of the setup would be amazing, even if it was just a little few minute video showing a few little parts of what all went into it and how its all set up....im looking at this as a possible mod, but never really thought about how to do it.

-Lastly you are making alot of headway in this and I admire you for your courage and innovation!!

Mine handles good on the street. I just drove across country in it. Depending on how I play with the pressures in the top and bottom, I can tune these to ride as stiff, loose, high, or low as I want.

two 10" struts run at $1290. Mine are custom with 12" piston shafts and a trimmed lower mount so that they would fit in my special spindle mounts. You would have to talk to the owner of the company (Mark) and specify that you are modding a Pathfinder.

the sub-frame spacers, front brake lines, and steering linkage were $475 from KRfab.

I made the skid plate with metal I already had. I already had the coils for the rear. They were from a 4" Jeep TJ lift kit. I think others have made f250 coils work for the rear. I figure you could make a lot of stiffer coils work so long as you are handy with a vice and a heating torch :crossedwires:

the extended power steering hose was $90. You would have to find a place that does automotive hydraulics that could extend the hose.

My video camera doesn't have sound, but I could do a walk around. It might help clarify some of the pictures.

Wow, thats more expensive than I thought it would be. I mean you could probably go and do a solid axle swap for a few hundred more than just the price of the struts if you do the work yourself. Regardless its still an awesome mod, and a cool truck! A video would be cool just to see how everything is mocked up

gotta say man. you got some great articulation out of that front end. puts my buddys stock r50 to shame...lol BUT WOAH on the pricetag of those struts.... 1290!!! even a full set of coilovers for my Z32 300ZX cost that much for all 4 Silk Roads.... just insane price. but ya get what ya pay for i guess huh ??

gotta say man. you got some great articulation out of that front end. puts my buddys stock r50 to shame...lol BUT WOAH on the pricetag of those struts.... 1290!!! even a full set of coilovers for my Z32 300ZX cost that much for all 4 Silk Roads.... just insane price. but ya get what ya pay for i guess huh ??

If you compare them to coil overs they're expensive. But, compared to other high end competition shocks, they're not too bad. They are designed for guys running in the King of Hammers with their $70,000 rigs. Everything is relative. I'm sure a weekend warrior version of the ORI is in the works. My pathfinder build is mostly for the sake of gaining experience with the unibody design and IFS in general. I wasn't trying to stick to a budget. May my frivolous $$ spending lead to something everybody can afford.

Edited by Methfinder

You can see where I had to re-mount the ABS sensor. I simply unbolted the bracket holding the wire in place, and moved it down a couple of inches. I was able to re-mount it with some self tapping screws.

Good idea remounting the sensor...I think I will go that route this weekend. :beer:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

So, still working out the long-term problems my modification has caused. The sub-frame drop fixed the C/V axle boots from tearing, and I no longer needed the limit straps. After about 3k miles, I ran into some diffaculties with a power steering hose I didn't see when I was lengthening everything for the drop. Seems the sub-frame drop also lowered the power steering line on the back of the power steering resevoir (the one that is half rubber hose, half hard plumbed, and runs down to the steering components with a banjo fitting). After losing my power steering, accompanied by the smell of burnt rubber and power steering fluid, I realized that the hose was touching the exhaust manifold. It slowly burnt through the heat wrap and made the line burst. I ended up cutting off the crimp where the rubber line connects to the hard line and re-securing it with a hose clamp. I also "carefully" re-routed the metal plumbing away from the exaust so that it was positioned between the manifold and the steering. I replaced the heat wrap with zip ties since it still sits fairly close to the exhuast by a few inches. If I'm not mistaken, this is a return line, so I shouldn't have to worry about high pressure blowing past my hose clamp. So far I haven't had any problems. All in all, it was a very cheap fix. ($10 for new length of rubber hose and new power steering fluid) though, it wasn't easy to reach, and I was fixing this while laying in snow. To get the hose off, you have to diconnect it from the resevoir, and remove 3 bolts, and the banjo fitting. one of the bolts is very hard to reach, but can be accessed if you remove the tire.

• 8 months later...
  • 11 months later...