Suspension upgrade

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Krfab's 4" sub-frame drop arrived today. I purchased a fairly stripped down version for my custom project. Now that I've re-learned how to post pictures, more are on the way. This time, I'll use a real camera. Sorry for the cell phone pictures I've posted so far.

391884_2599263497494_1131960423_2744833_343619686_n.jpg

I might be going a different route here. Originally, like I said, I wanted to add limit straps to my front suspension to keep my front cv axles from tearing up. Now that they are torn up, and I have to replace them anyway, I'm strongly considering a 4" sub frame drop. After taking out the cv axles I figured I would be half way there, so what the heck, why not go all the way and get er dun right. I do, however, have a few concerns with this modification. First: The sub-frame drop will keep the cv's from tearing up when the suspension is fully extended. What happens to the cv's when my suspension is fully compressed? Do I have to worry about tearing the boots because they are flexing too far in the other direction? (fully compressed)

Second: will the angle on the front driveline be too drastic with a 4" sub-frame drop?

I want to go with a 4" because I found a guy, krfabs.com, that sells the spacers for the drop, and some guy from Santiago Chile posted a thread where he installed it. Looks pretty straight forward. The only difference with me is I won't be using the strut spacers provided by krfab because I already have the struts

Hi I am the one from Chile, yes the install is very straight forward and for you it should be easiest because of the impact tools and equipment. Please post your advances.

Hi I am the one from Chile, yes the install is very straight forward and for you it should be easiest because of the impact tools and equipment. Please post your advances.

That's good to hear. Between the timing belt and this sub-frame drop, I've got a bit of work to do. By the way, your pathy es bakan!! It's good to see Chile getting into this sport. For a guy that loves 4x4's and snowboarding, Southern Chile is heaven.

That's good to hear. Between the timing belt and this sub-frame drop, I've got a bit of work to do. By the way, your pathy es bakan!! It's good to see Chile getting into this sport. For a guy that loves 4x4's and snowboarding, Southern Chile is heaven.

:beer:

Excellent to find someone as bakan as me :laugh: . I am not in the snow sports right now, I used to practice ski but my knee says no more sport for me long time ago. Have you been in Chile?

:beer:

Excellent to find someone as bakan as me :laugh: . I am not in the snow sports right now, I used to practice ski but my knee says no more sport for me long time ago. Have you been in Chile?

Yes, I've been there. You should try snowboarding, it's not as hard on the knees as skiing. At least after you learn to stay up. Are there heavy restrictions on land use in Chile? I live in Georgia (South east U.S.), and I have to drive 3 hours and pay mucho $ to go wheeling anywhere here. From what I saw in your pictures, Chile has awsome places to ride. How far south were you?

Krfab's 4" sub-frame drop arrived today. I purchased a fairly stripped down version for my custom project. Now that I've re-learned how to post pictures, more are on the way. This time, I'll use a real camera. Sorry for the cell phone pictures I've posted so far.

391884_2599263497494_1131960423_2744833_343619686_n.jpg

I have bought the same finish... just treated it with black antirust paint.

Yes, I've been there. You should try snowboarding, it's not as hard on the knees as skiing. At least after you learn to stay up. Are there heavy restrictions on land use in Chile? I live in Georgia (South east U.S.), and I have to drive 3 hours and pay mucho $ to go wheeling anywhere here. From what I saw in your pictures, Chile has awsome places to ride. How far south were you?

Regarding to snow I prefer to live from previous glories than present failures... I am pretty much in the center of the country, in Santiago. There are not much restrictions but places are closing because of real state developements. You have 1 hour to the east a ski center 1,5 hours to west beaches and dunes. Some Dakar stages will be run on the north of the country... 800 - 2.000KM from Santiago.

You will have to get someone to stand on that spring putting it back together. :lol:

Or you can make a spring compressor with some bolts and plates.

I don't think they will work after cutting them in half with the hacksaw. ;)

• 3 weeks later...

402022_2727961794871_1131960423_2807772_1662958095_n.jpg

A bunch of new stuff here. Transmission cooler lines, extended differential breather, Drive pulley (I broke the original one while replacing my timing belt), extended power steering hose, steering linkage. For the power steering sensor, I cut the wire in half and soldered in 2- 4" wires. I covered my soldering job with shrink tube. I believe it to be a much better fix than butt connectors. I covered that with electrical tape to insulate the wires a little better.

Edited by Methfinder

388750_2727877632767_1131960423_2807725_1238289162_n.jpg

I had a place in Georgia called Wizard Automotive fab me up a new power steering hose. I noticed that the sub frame drop put my original hose on a bind. They used my original hardware (metal pipes and banjo fittings), but with a 4" longer hose. They charged me $90 for the new hose and labor.

Edited by Methfinder

376023_2773769100025_1131960423_2838816_1930453619_n.jpg

You can see where I had to re-mount the ABS sensor. I simply unbolted the bracket holding the wire in place, and moved it down a couple of inches. I was able to re-mount it with some self tapping screws.

Edited by Methfinder

After finishing all that, I figured I would make my own heavy duty skid pan out of 1/4 inch thick steel, thick tubing, and cross braces for additional strength. The original one just wasn't going to work.

Edited by Methfinder

I forgot to mention that, before installing the sub-frame drop and everything that went with it, I upgraded the struts from ORI's ST to the STX. They work great!

I would take the time to write an extremely detailed write-up on the entire project, but that would be extremely long (especially the sub-frame and timing belt part). So, if you have any questions, I would be glad to answer.

Edited by Methfinder

HOLY!!!! That is awesome man! Im kinda curious and have a few questions for ya though!

-How does it drive on the street? Does it have alot of sway since the sway bar is no longer existant?

-How much did the struts and everything set you back if you dont mind sharing?

-More pics and videos of the setup would be amazing, even if it was just a little few minute video showing a few little parts of what all went into it and how its all set up....im looking at this as a possible mod, but never really thought about how to do it.

-Lastly you are making alot of headway in this and I admire you for your courage and innovation!!

Edited by 01silvapathy