improv Bushing press

m0nkeyprince

Im planning on siwtching to polyurethane bushings for my lower control arms, however i dont have a press or access to one. would this work?

Improv3tonpress.jpg

also, to cut off the metal band left inside after the bushing has been burned off, a good ol' recipricating saw would do the trick yes?

any input would be appreicated, thanks

Funny... I've used a similar press for a bunch of different applications..... straightening my skids, straightening my bull bars, popping the bead on my tires, crushing a coconut...

If you are talking about jacking up the truck then letting it down to smash the bushing in then I think you are going about it wrong. I'm not saying it won't work, only that there are many many better ways of achieving your desired results. Also your pathy is not likely 6,000lbs. It's closer to 4,000lbs and you have to divide that weight by the amount of tires on the ground.(about 1/2ton per tire) 1,000 pounds of pressure is probably not enough to push that bushing in. I've done the job a couple of times and it's not hard to push them in using a nice size c-clamp.

I recommend using a bench vise and a C-clamp.

Also,

Keep in mind that I have seen the lip get cut off trying to push these bushing in without the use of a funnel. I know lots get it done w/out any problems, but it does happen when you use lots of force.

I made up a little kit to ease doing this job, but the last person to use it never returned it.(it was covered by a deposit so it's no big deal to me; just kinda sux for others who may have benefited from it.

Here are some pics.

P1010031.jpg

P1010032.jpg

P1010033.jpg

P1010034.jpg

there are 1 piece and 2 piece busshings.

the 3 piece require no press.

If you place the bushing under the bottle jack with a guide and line that up under the center of the front axe you should be able to exert 2,000 lbs when both wheels come off the ground.

thanks for the pics trailchaser, so the poly bushings dont need a metal band inside like the stock ones? How big is that fitting guide you have ?

i like my1path's idea better, ill try that instead, or maybe some vice grips first, see if they will work.

what do people use for the lube? i have seen "greasable" trailing arms so i might as well use the correct lube to get it in there in the first place

If you are talking about jacking up the truck then letting it down to smash the bushing in then I think you are going about it wrong. I'm not saying it won't work, only that there are many many better ways of achieving your desired results. Also your pathy is not likely 6,000lbs. It's closer to 4,000lbs and you have to divide that weight by the amount of tires on the ground.(about 1/2ton per tire) 1,000 pounds of pressure is probably not enough to push that bushing in. I've done the job a couple of times and it's not hard to push them in using a nice size c-clamp.

I recommend using a bench vise and a C-clamp.

Also,

Keep in mind that I have seen the lip get cut off trying to push these bushing in without the use of a funnel. I know lots get it done w/out any problems, but it does happen when you use lots of force.

I made up a little kit to ease doing this job, but the last person to use it never returned it.(it was covered by a deposit so it's no big deal to me; just kinda sux for others who may have benefited from it.

Very nice, I like the thinking and execution... :aok:

ill try that instead, or maybe some vice grips first, see if they will work.

Don't bother, you'll only bung things up...

Several good suggestions to try first... ;)

B

To do mine I picked up a 20 ton shop press for $130....take an add'l 20% off that with a coupon...more than paid for it with what I saved from having a stealership do it. Didn't need a funnel...just greased the crap out of it....though I did rip the lip on one before I figured out the technique.