Lower Ball Joint Misery

Punkfinder

Replacing the lower BJs on my 93-SE following Haynes and Chilton directions. Started the passenger side BJ. It was a PITA to get the old one off...was only able to get it off b/c the ball joint came out of it's housing (see pic)

lowerbj001.jpg

Trying to put the new BJ in and can't fit the tapered bolt through it's hole on the bottom of the knuckle as the CV housing seems to be in the way. No matter how a manipulate the new BJ, I can't get it seated properly b/c the CV housing is in the way (see arrow in pic). The only way I can see to install this is to disconnect the CV at the knuckle, which I'd rather avoid.

lowerbj004.jpg

Am I missing an easier way to do this? My first time posting pics, so if they're crap, let me know and I can take new ones.

Thanks

Edited by Punkfinder

The easier way to do it is to pull the auto hub and slide the axle out a bit so you can slide the ball joint in. There is no other 'easy' way.

I JUST did this two days ago.

Thanks for the tip. I really didn't want to pull my Warn hubs apart, but looks like I'll have to. So if I disassemble my hub, the CV will slide a bit (away from the vehicle)?

lower bj's ARE a pain compared to the uppers. x3 on taking the hub off(snap ring too) and sliding it out some.

p.s. your BJ was trashed!!! I only seen that happen one other time and we were ther 1/2 drug 1/2 carried some little old civic out of the intersection to free up traffic...