When in neutral, pathfinder randomly dies.

zeppelindrummer

Hey guys, i've been having some problems for the last week or so.

When on the gas the pathfinder is fine, but when i am in neutral, coasting to a stop sign/light the pathfinder sometime dies! I usually throw it into gear to kinda roll start it, and it's fine, but more and more often when i am in neutral it dies. When i start it, it idles around 500, and kinda bounces up and down. I dont remember, but i don't think it has died just sitting yet... Before this it would idle around 900 or a grand and i had no problems.

Was wondering what you think my problem could be? plugs and wires? Distributor cap? o2 sensor? where should i start! thanks guys

-Zepp

A couple of the small vacuum hoses came undone when i did my body lift, so i replaced those, but it is still doing the same thing. I ran it with the air filter cover off and it was still doing the "bubbly" idle.

MAF sensor tomorrow after class, and before work, and if it still doesn't fix the problem, Saturday or Sunday morning i'm going to do my plugs and wires, see where that gets me. I'll probably throw a new fuel filter on there while i'm at it as well.

Thanks JJ and 5523

-zepp

Edited by zeppelindrummer

also if it only does it when coasing (not when sitting) Your dash pot may be letting it down too fast. THis would not but the source of the problem but adds to it none the less. Check in the how to for TBI component listing article for ajusting the dash pot after you have looked into the suggestions above.

Check your maf sensor wiring. Like wiggle it while the truck is idling funny and see if it helps. I had this problem.

X2

Used to happen on my first 95 all the time. The MAF wiring sucks.

Oh, His member info says 1987 so ya... Update your year buddy.

Sorry, got a 91 a little while back, and didn't think to change that.

So i cleaned the MAF real good, and replaced the fuel filter... and it's still doing it. hmph. not sure what to do now.

Idk if it normally does this, but when i first put the keys in, along with the "[seat] belts" light and the "brake" light, the "oil" light comes on, but it turns off once i turn on the truck. I never noticed that before, and i don't know if it is supposed to normally do that, or if that has anything to do with it?

I'll check my MAF wiring a bit more, but when i did today it seemed fine. i cleaned the connections in it as well as the sensor itself.

I guess i'll do my plugs and wires next? I should have had them run the diagnostics while i was getting my fuel filter and MAF cleaner, but i forgot... That'll have to be done Sunday morning then.

And Zanman... i just wiggled the wire while it was idling... and nothing.

Oh, and it does idle funny when i'm stopped, it only dies when i'm coasting.

-zepp

Edited by zeppelindrummer

Yup. when i got pissed and certain it had to be a vacuum leak i went back to the hoses, and found that the main hose from the MAF/Airbox to the engine had torn on the underside at the hose clamp. It was tweaked and because the hose is 20 years old it tore!

My neighbor told me to take some carb cleaner and spray it around any seals/hose connections, and if theres a leak, it will suck it in and burn the carb cleaner as fuel, which will throw the idle up for a second. Sure enough that worked, and we found the spot!

Idle is fixed, and it is running with great power.

Thanks for the input guys.

-Zepp

When i start it, it idles around 500, and kinda bounces up and down. I dont remember, but i don't think it has died just sitting yet... Before this it would idle around 900 or a grand and i had no problems.

Nominal Idle should be at 750.