Fog Light Install Question

findmypath

All,

I have a 03 LE with Manik brush guards. After devoting about 2 weeks to take them off..take them to the powder coat shop..and now reinstalling them...they look good now. So, the next thing I want to do is to install some round fog lights on the brush guards. Mostly to get better lighting but also scare a few Corollas that might be slowing down traffic. In my past life I had a Blazer with lights but for some reason they kept drawing a lot of current and when they were on lights in the truck dimmed. I don't want to make the same mistake here and instal something that will put a strain on the electrical system. Has anyone installed fog lights like this in a similar setup? Anyone have any pics to share? Any ideas on how to best install the fog lights so they don't drain too much current?

THanks.

I have 4 hella roof lights. Its pretty simple of a setup. Starting up top, I have them on a homemade rack, which the wires run through. I have the two outer lights rigged up to go on with one switch and the two inner to go on with the other switch. The wires run out of the tube, and into a weather proof connector that runs wires down the a pillar in the weather stripping to the engine bay. From there it runs across the bay to the relays, I have 2 one for each set of lights. From the relays to the battery there is a fuse and from there a ground and a connection to the battery. I also have wires running from the relays back through the firewall and into the cab to 2 switches I got from autozone. Google search hella wiring guide or something to get a diagram of how to wire them, its what I followed to wire mine and it worked really well.

055-3.jpg

004-7.jpg

100_1414-1.jpg

• 3 months later...

I want to install some PIAA 510 (55Watts) on my new KMA Bumper.....

6ff03fa8.jpg

I want to use the same stock wiring (as much as possible) and still be able to turn the lights on and off with the Twist On/Off switch for the Original Fog Lights....

b740a88e.jpg

I saved the original pig tail connectors (these were cut off the end of the OEM Fog Lights)

18f09bec.jpg

Is it as simple as wiring the original pig tails to the new light without using the PIAA Wire Harness???

Did the Stock configuration have relays/Fuses with the fog lights???

21f875db.jpg

Edited by OfftourRoadie96

the factory lights most likely are using a relay, if the wattage is the same as the Piaa's or close I would just connect the factory plug to the new lights, if you do not see a factory relay than you can use the Piaa wiring, but instead of using the Piaa switch connect the factory harness to where the Piaa switch would go, this way when you turn on the lights from inside it will trigger (turn on) the Piaa relay

What's the wattage of the piia's?

If they're 55 watts, and you're just using the swith for the 2 of them, then you should be able to wire it up directly.

If you want to hook up more lights, you can do the exact same setup, except you'll have to wire up some relays under the hood.

You'll have to use the fog light harness to trigger the relay instead of directly to the lights, and then let the relay feed battery power to the lights.

I think it would just be easier to run a seperate switch to the interior somewhere. But thats just me. I got these switches at Autozone for like 6 bucks and they match the interior plastic very well. Many of my friends mistook them for stock switches.

009-6.jpg

010-5.jpg

I actually want to change my lights to work off the fog light switch too, it will make it easier to turn off when there's oncomming traffic.

I've already got mine wired to accessory switches in the centre dash, so I may wire so that the fog light switch simply powers the switches, and will esentially turn off the lights when turned off.

That is a good idea. I have mine wired right now so that the switches are killed with the ignition but sometimes passengers mess with the switches and I get flashed during the day haha.

Wire them to the original fog light wiring. Like the others have stated, there are relays built into the truck for them. That way you can use the original switch. Why add extra wiring, relays and switches when you can use the original ones? Well unless you plan on doing something fancy with them.

I only want to use the pair on the front bumper to use the stock switch....especially since that's what I'm used to. I have 6 more lights to put up top ( 4 front 2 back) which I will use the PIAA wire harnesses. I will likely go with a 190 amp High output alternator before I use these roof lights due to the high draw especially once the winch gets wired in too! I'll give the front fog lights a shot with just the factory switch. Thanks for your input!

• Like 1

Well I wired the PIAA 510's up with the OEM Factory fog light wiring just adding spade connectors to the ends and sliding them right on the PIAA pig tail. I found Relays and Fuses under the hood (BTW). The only thing I had to do was change the 15amp fuse to a 20....The fuse blew on my first attempt turning them on! They seem to work fine.....BUT, one thing I noticed is when I have my head lights on & the PIAA's on, as soon as the Hi Beams turn on, the PIAA's turn OFF!??! And come back ON when the Hi Beams are shut back off. DID THIS USED TO HAPPEN WITH THE OEM FOG LIGHTS???? If so, I never noticed! Or am I now, dealing with a weird Relay issue since I,m using the stock wiring?

DID THIS USED TO HAPPEN WITH THE OEM FOG LIGHTS???? If so, I never noticed!

Yep, it sure does. There's a sweet spot when you pull back on the lever (ie flashing people with there high beams on) where the fogs, high beams and normal headlights work all at once. Idunno how you'd rig it up to work with high beams on...

Well I wired the PIAA 510's up with the OEM Factory fog light wiring just adding spade connectors to the ends and sliding them right on the PIAA pig tail. I found Relays and Fuses under the hood (BTW). The only thing I had to do was change the 15amp fuse to a 20....The fuse blew on my first attempt turning them on! They seem to work fine.....BUT, one thing I noticed is when I have my head lights on & the PIAA's on, as soon as the Hi Beams turn on, the PIAA's turn OFF!??! And come back ON when the Hi Beams are shut back off. DID THIS USED TO HAPPEN WITH THE OEM FOG LIGHTS???? If so, I never noticed! Or am I now, dealing with a weird Relay issue since I,m using the stock wiring?

yes, that's normal. it's a legal thing. not sure of other states or what not, but it's a law that the only the hi-beams are on when they're switched on.

there's a re-wire thread somewhere on the forum, just not as clear as some others. it should be a similar type of re-wire that i did on several of my other cars like my G20. you find a running light (would be the front sidemarkers for us), clip that, wire into the foglight relay found under the hood and hook that up to the power. so, power wire from foglight relay is connected to power wire on the sidemarkers so that fogs come on when sidemarkers come on.

Well, I had a change of plans, I switched my PIAA 510XT's to PIAA 520i's

Before

6ff03fa8.jpg

After

a1638805.jpg

I think the 510's were too small and had a real pencil shaped beam pattern, where the 520i's were more of a true fog light with a yellow color to them. And they just filled in the bumper way nicer too. Now, what to do with the 510's?

I was thinking maybe cutting a 4" circle next to the turn signals and removing the grilles on the lights and possibly mounting them into the bumper!!?? I have some PIAA 520ATP going on top and some PIAA 1500's for the back.

Edited by OfftourRoadie96

Mod the relay. I had control over my fogs regardless of lights on, off, high, low. I used a ignition on source for the trigger to the relay. Check my how-to here

My relay mod

I would have done this, but since the Radio Shack relays did not fit my 2001.5 R50 I had to modify my stock relays (though not irreversibly!) to achieve the fog light mod.