Shocking Shocks

Tungsten

Before anyone starts complaining, YES I used the search before posting. I am looking for a new set of shocks.

I found these Bilsteins (clicky) on 4x4 parts with the help of a member here but I have a few questions about them:

1. Are the images posted correspond to the actual product?

2. If 1 is true then why is there a boot on them? Boots aren't very good for SUV application because crap can get trapped inside them.

3. Is that a good price for them? Looks like it is to me.

4. Do they actually fit? I know it says they do but would like to verify that.

5. What is the difference between the Sports and the Non-sports shock? I would like a smoother ride, not hard as a rock.

Before anyone posts anything, NO RANCHO SUGGESTIONS PLEASE!!! Rancho shocks are "Twin-tube" and I am only willing to get "Mono-tube" shocks because of their superior construction and longevity.

What about KYB Gas-A-Justs? That is what the dealers put on R50s.

Edited by Tungsten

I bought a couple Rancho RS5000's new and they came with boots. so I would figure since there are boots in the photos, that boots come with them. They are optional though and only held on by zipties, at least that's how it was on my Ranchos.

Before anyone starts complaining, YES I used the search before posting. I am looking for a new set of shocks.

I found these Bilsteins (clicky) on 4x4 parts with the help of a member here but I have a few questions about them:

1. Are the images posted correspond to the actual product?

2. If 1 is true then why is there a boot on them? Boots aren't very good for SUV application because crap can get trapped inside them.

3. Is that a good price for them? Looks like it is to me.

4. Do they actually fit? I know it says they do but would like to verify that.

5. What is the difference between the Sports and the Non-sports shock? I would like a smoother ride, not hard as a rock.

Before anyone posts anything, NO RANCHO SUGGESTIONS PLEASE!!! Rancho shocks are "Twin-tube" and I am only willing to get "Mono-tube" shocks because of their superior construction and longevity.

better do some searching before you say i want bilstiens and no rancho suggestions.. because if you want a smooth ride.. don't go for the bilstiens.

i just went through this discussion with some fab buddies of mine.

"Pogo stick" was the word used for the bilstiens.

What would you recommend? I am in the market for new shocks as well. I know bilsteins are a good shock but stiff.

I have been doing alot of research and asking alot of people (i have LOTS of friends in the vehicle / fab business)

the general concensus is Rancho 9000xl's.

You can tune them to your ride by the turn of a knob.

they are the same price as bilstien 5100's

I for one am going to run teh Rancho 9000's

Edited by 87pathy

For the record I love my rancho 9x's I set em soft for the city since I have to drive over a washboard @ the gate everyday and about 7 in the rear for long trips. when I get to I-20 in cali I set them to 9 in the rear and they feel great on the turns.

and what makes you say mono tube shocks are better? If you dent a mono tube it will not have superior longevity. If you dent a racho you haven't done anything but add character to the outer shell (unless you whack it really good).

From: http://www.autoanything.com/suspension-systems/50A26A163A4.aspx

Twin-Tube Shocks:

The twin-tube shock can trace its lineage back to the mid 20th century, and its ingenious design still stands the test of time. As its name implies, twin-tube shocks have 2 chambers: an inner and an outer tube. The inner tube is where most of the work takes place. Here, the piston plows up and down through the main supply of oil. The outer chamber holds an extra supply of oil and a low pressure gas charge at around 100–150 psi. The gas, usually nitrogen, provides the backstop against the flow of oil for mega dampening. However, as the oil heats up, it can mix with the gas and cause foam and fade.

Twin-tube shocks deliver comfortable, stable all-around dampening for cars, trucks and SUVs. In fact, twin-tubes are probably the most commonly used shocks in the automotive market today. Ideal for street driving, they feel smooth yet still reduce body roll and sway during cornering and dipping during hard stops and spirited acceleration. However, rugged off-roading can cause the twin-tubes to overheat, which leads to foam and fade in extreme conditions.

Monotube Shocks:

One may be the loneliest number, but monotube shocks have no problem leading a solitary life. Rather than using two chambers, these burly shock absorbers do it all in a single tube. What's more, they have twice the piston power as a twin-tube shock. The first piston is located right where you would expect it–at the end of the piston rod. This first piston pushes against a section of oil, which is forced downward into the second piston. This floating piston is sandwiched between a section of viscose oil and a pocket of highly charged gas (between 200–360 psi). By separating the oil from the gas, monotube shocks greatly reduce the risk of oil foaming and fade.

The dual piston design of monotube shocks provides stiffer dampening, which is preferred for sportier handling and grueling off-road conditions. Monotube shocks are also air cooled, so they do not retain heat the way twin-tubes do. Plus, they can be mounted upside down for extra weight support. However, monotube shocks are difficult to mount in place of stock twin-tube shocks on cars and stock-height trucks and SUVs because of the added length and range. Also, monotube shocks are slightly more vulnerable to dent damage because there is no outer buffer.

The way the shocks are placed in Pathfinders, make them almost invulnerable to any damage. I don't remember the last time I hit my shocks.

Edited by Tungsten

The way the shocks are placed in Pathfinders, make them almost invulnerable to any damage. I don't remember the last time I hit my shocks.

go play in come cobble stone pits and your entire under carriage will see dents.viannen_09.gif

lol asside from the single wall "air cooling" bit twin tubes can be constucted in the same way. There's nothing anywere that says twin tube shocks need to be single piston they can be doulbe or even tripple just like any other shock out there.

but I guess you got your mind set so go buy whatever you were going to b4 you asked us.

It doesn't matter, it's still a twin-tube. The only better shock construction is a shock with either one or multiple remote reservoirs.

http://www.autoanything.com/suspension-systems/61A2624A0A0.aspx

These look good but I don't know if they are for Nissans. Thanks for the heads up on Bilsteins though. :aok:

Actually the Rancho 9000 XL shocks are "premium twin-tube" shocks with "monoflow". They are very advanced but for the price I thought the Gas-A-Justs were a better deal. I would definitely try the 9000 XLs out if I can get that wireless controller for them. I'm just too lazy to go adjust them all the time. :tongue:

Edited by Tungsten

Actually the Rancho 9000 XL shocks are monotube style shocks. They are very advanced but for the price I thought the Gas-A-Justs were a better deal. I would definitely try the 9000 XLs out if I can get that wireless controller for them. I'm just too lazy to go adjust them all the time. :tongue:

these are what i'm buying..

RS99036..

Actually the Rancho 9000 XL shocks are "premium twin-tube" shocks with "monoflow". They are very advanced but for the price I thought the Gas-A-Justs were a better deal. I would definitely try the 9000 XLs out if I can get that wireless controller for them. I'm just too lazy to go adjust them all the time. tongue.gif

I will eventually be buying the compressor based controller for mine. Only $150 and no remote to loose.

I will eventually be buying the compressor based controller for mine. Only $150 and no remote to loose.

what do you mean by compressor based? the my ride system uses a compressor too.

curious.... as i have a compressor on board.