Heat coming from center console?

Specv1973

Just a tip for anyone experencing this issue, as I have seen a few references in a few other posts to center console heat. If this has been covered before, just delete this moderators. I have an autotragic, so this maybe a little different for manual trannys. If you roll down your windows or put the air in "fresh air mode" basically depressurizing the cabin, you will really notice the heat coming from the center console if you have the same problem I had, especially around the e-brake hole area. The cause of this heat is pretty simple. There is a rubber boot around the 4wd selector arm under the fancy leather wannabe cover that wears out over time. It should be tight as a drum all the way around the mounting surface and especially the arm itself. If not, the heat from the engine/tranny will pour in to your center console tub and come out around the e-brake area especially with tthe windows down or even cracked open. I had to order one from the dealer, since I couldn't find a good one anywhere else. I think it was like 30 bucks or so, but no more heat now from the center console. I should have taken pics when I did the replacement, but I forgot, sorry. You have to remove the center console is all basically to R&R the boot. Hope this helps someone else...

my center consel was always hot to the touch and my driver back seat foot space was always hot but I had a glass pack.

It was never a problem since it was never that hot.But when did it all the time,with and without the fresh air mode on.

Having a JGC console and a 3" BL made mine strange to begin with... A beanie covering the transfercase shifter and a cheapie boot on the shifter make it ignorable in the summer (I do have one ofthe rubber boot things that's supposed to help with the heat loosly layin there too)

The rubber boots, if they are ripped or torn, are only 25$ or so from the dealer. Reduces noise and heat from the engine getting into the passenger compartment. Also, be sure to specify year. my 95 had a torn boot, and I found a good one in the junkyard out of a 92-93, and it was a different shape. and yes, I was sure to get a boot out of an auto. when they changed the center console design, the boot(s) also changed.

Its the same for a MT from 86.5-95 as an fyi

Mine is outa a 93+ HB, only know that because I was spying the front bumper for the inserts when I took it out of the truck. (they were the foglight ones but were pretty buggered up)

Just a tip for anyone experencing this issue, as I have seen a few references in a few other posts to center console heat. If this has been covered before, just delete this moderators. I have an autotragic, so this maybe a little different for manual trannys. If you roll down your windows or put the air in "fresh air mode" basically depressurizing the cabin, you will really notice the heat coming from the center console if you have the same problem I had, especially around the e-brake hole area. The cause of this heat is pretty simple. There is a rubber boot around the 4wd selector arm under the fancy leather wannabe cover that wears out over time. It should be tight as a drum all the way around the mounting surface and especially the arm itself. If not, the heat from the engine/tranny will pour in to your center console tub and come out around the e-brake area especially with tthe windows down or even cracked open. I had to order one from the dealer, since I couldn't find a good one anywhere else. I think it was like 30 bucks or so, but no more heat now from the center console. I should have taken pics when I did the replacement, but I forgot, sorry. You have to remove the center console is all basically to R&R the boot. Hope this helps someone else...

hmm....I have noticed some heat coming from this area in my 97 SE OR MT...nothing that's a problem...least not yet. And I did notice that the boot has separated from the plastic console along the entire length of it on the rearward side of it. But I'm curious....the only OEM replacement that I can find includes the whole console set up at about $145....Is this the replacement part you are talking about? http://www.courtesyparts.com/96934-finisher-console-boot-pathfinder-r50-10/1995-09/1999-wfed-4wdcal-4wdmt-09/1999-01/2000-wp/4wdmt-p-201199.html?cPath=4700_4701_4876_4880&

I suppose I could pull it apart and try to re-attach the boot to the console....

EDIT: Just realized the link above wasn't working...fixed it...anyone know the answer to above Q?

Edited by piste

Pull the shifter back to "1." Look on the backside of the shifter and you'll see two screws, remove them. Then press the button in and pull up and wiggle it and it'll slide off. Usually the spring inside the handle flies out with the button and gets grease on whatever it touches.