Air Intake Opinion

01silvapathy

So I have been wanting to get an intake of sorts for awhile now and want some opinions on them. I was looking to get the JWT pop charger with the filter. I know that some have had problems with the k&n intake with the MAF acting up after install. But my main question is with the application. I do some wheeling every now and then a trip or two every semester at school and some exploring now and then. I want yall's opinions on which is better the stock air box or an aftermarket like the jwt pop charger. My main concern obviously would be with flooding in the event of deep water encounters, but in all reality isnt the stock air box just as prone to flooding, and the actual filter sits a bit higher up in the bay no? Thanks for any light yall may be able to shed on the subject :beer:

Edit: Link to the pop charger

http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/customer_part_detail.asp?PartID=363

Edited by 01silvapathy

im curious too.. i have a large cone shaped K&N from a previous ride...thought bought tryin too adapt it to the pathy...think ill wait for the input here...also i could use a little throttle response. Lately the pathy is down on power... ses light on and very noticeable lag in power...nother thread thou right????

Tye

i have the jim wolf intake i like it

no problems with the MAF sensor... if it DOES get dirty, just clean it... our MAF's dont fail like they do in 4runners

overall power you wont feel anything. you might feel an increase in throttle response however - it's snappier.

the noise is cool though

Yeah I dont think I will ever be going into a situation where water will be going that high, atleast I dont hope so :chairfall: I will be ordering the pop charger here pretty soon hopefully before the start of next week :new576: I will try and take a before and after video and make a install thread with a review If I have time inbetween college stuff

Edit: The only thing that the pop charger does not come with is a heat shield. I know that its not a huge deal but you dont want the intake to just be sucking up hot air. Anyone have any ideas as how to go about fabricating a heat shield with something?

Edited by 01silvapathy

throttle response will improve. whether or not you actual get any real power gains is questionable because you'll be getting on the gas more often and it'll be a little misconceiving as to your actual "gains".

i bought mine off of infinitipartsusa.com. it was the cheapest that i found. $120 shipped, IIRC. got to take a look at my receipt.

heat shield will do next to nothing for you. having the filter in the engine bay will suck in warm air whether or not you have a heat shield or not. that's why it's called a WAI. ;)

don't get caught up in the heat shield because it will do extremely little to nothing as far as performance is concerned.

BTW, i love my POP and JWT makes a great product in the POP charger.

Just ordered the pop charger, the lady gave me a lower price cause it was on special recently for 120 bucks shipped :new576: It should be here Wednesday :laugh: I will make before and after videos and take install pics since they might help out some ppl.

yeah youre not missing much. its just a warehouse and office in a hot part of town (100 degrees F there today) also a crystal meth kind of neighborhood.... they had a bunch of nissan Z's with weak turbo kits... the only plug was that they have a few beautiful women working in the office :)

Here is mine, all heat shielded aluminum with an AEM no oil filter. I got this done for about $100 but I don't know if there are people in America that will do it that cheap. Anyway I am happy with it.

IMG_8013_2_1.jpg

Here is mine, all heat shielded aluminum with an AEM no oil filter. I got this done for about $100 but I don't know if there are people in America that will do it that cheap. Anyway I am happy with it.

IMG_8013_2_1.jpg

thats nice and neat...i have a ? tho...does it seal tight against your hood and such??? and if it does...did you remove the stock air/water reservoir thats under the airbox? (that plastice tubular thingy thats in the wheel well and the front fender. In my 01 its very restrictive with the airflow..only series of small holes for air to come in!!!

Tye

i got one of those no name cone set ups in mine. cost me under 50 bucks for everything (filter,tubing, maf sensor adapter)

the only problem i ran into was using the "universal" MAF sensor adapter. The sensor fit in perfect but the rubber gasket did not line up with the groove in the adapter so i just put some silicone on it and wallah

i just stuck the end of the nose cone right on top of that air hole so it seems to get enough air. i do want to tear out some of those guts tho and make my own lil fiberglass air duct to blow all the air into the filter and motor (for cooling)

noticed a little deeper exhaust note after putting it. not much else

and lil someone said above building a lil shroud to keep the hot air away wont really do @!*%. if u want cold air u gotta go with a snorkle or run the intake down to the bumper (Only if you do NOT use ur vehicle for off roading because it will suck in water)

heres mine

IMG00125-20100904-1540.jpg

Edited by pathblazin420

thats nice and neat...i have a ? tho...does it seal tight against your hood and such??? and if it does...did you remove the stock air/water reservoir thats under the airbox? (that plastice tubular thingy thats in the wheel well and the front fender. In my 01 its very restrictive with the airflow..only series of small holes for air to come in!!!

Tye

I don't think it seals tight, but yes I removed all that stuff long ago.

I just replaced my box with a filter with an adapter plate for the MAF (VG33). The intake is a lot louder. And since putting it on, my MPG's have been going down. But, this could be related to somethign else completely. I do want to put a K&N filter on it, but they so expensive! I haven't had any problem with water, even when it flooded here a few times and I was driving through water that was just above the bottom of the door that even covered my hood a few times(that wet carpet smell was awful for a while afterwards though!)

Jose

Just installed, took about 30 minutes hardest part was taking out the old box. IT SOUNDS AWESOME ON THE VQ!!!!!!!!! It sounds like a 350z and makes the vq a load more throaty. Driving through parking garages it sounds incredible. I can feel a little bit of power add too its the best 120 bucks I have EVER SPENT!! Pics and videos up later tonight or tomorrow sometime.