Fuel Filters

tmoore4512

Factory fuel filtration or aftermarket?  

14 members have voted

1. 1. When changing fuel filter I use:

• Factory/OEM style replacement media.
    • Aftermarket, smaller unit.

Okay so I have been doing a bit of backyard research, and thought I would share...

The fuel filter on the WD21 is a massive unit that takes up quite a bit of under-hood real estate. Agreed?

I needed to change it anyway, and decided to swap in a smaller unit...after some testing....

AutoZone has a whole wall dedicated to PCV and fuel filters. So I grabbed a few and measured flow with a cfm meter and and air hose.

Almost ALL of the filters I checked were within .0002 of being the same flow. Only the very tiny units were more restrictive.

With that being said, I intend on replacing the factory filter with a much smaller clear unit, so I can see when it is dirty.

I assume others have done this, just thought I would throw it out there, since searching revealed nada.

I've thought about moving mine to alongside the frame, just to get it out of the engine bay and make changing it a little easier without spilling gas all over the engine compartment. I've never thought about changing styles from OEM though. :shrug: