Anybody running 16" rims on a WD21?

lint

I've got a line on some ugly and cheap OEM steelies for my winter set....maybe that might be the route to go instead of the Toyota rims I was originally considering. If I go to 16" from the original 15" how does that affect my gearing? Clearance? Anything else I need to consider? Pros and cons are welcome. Thanks for your opinions!

I've got a line on some ugly and cheap OEM steelies for my winter set....maybe that might be the route to go instead of the Toyota rims I was originally considering. If I go to 16" from the original 15" how does that affect my gearing? Clearance? Anything else I need to consider? Pros and cons are welcome. Thanks for your opinions!

Larger wheels won't change anything. Outside tire diameter will be the thing that would be an issue with gearing.

Sadly, with your stock size (SE) being the 31x10.50R15, there isn't really anything close in a 16" rim that will keep your odometer mildly accurate.

There is a decent selection of 275/70R16's on tirerack.com They are .58% off

So every 159.97 indicated km's you'd have actually traveled 160.9 km. So really not that far off.

Hope that helps!

you guys rock! Thanks so much for your help, that would've taken me at least a day to figure out! Now I can go wrench on other stuff. P...

Sadly, with your stock size (SE) being the 31x10.50R15, there isn't really anything close in a 16" rim that will keep your odometer mildly accurate.

There is a decent selection of 275/70R16's on tirerack.com They are .58% off

So every 159.97 indicated km's you'd have actually traveled 160.9 km. So really not that far off.

Hope that helps!

.58% deviation is nothing, most tires deviate more than that just by different manufacturers. Tire wear over the life of the tire is far more than that. The odometers on the vehicles aren't even that accurate.

B

.58% deviation is nothing, most tires deviate more than that just by different manufacturers. Tire wear over the life of the tire is far more than that. The odometers on the vehicles aren't even that accurate.

B

My odometer only works when it feels like working...

A 265/75R16 is actually a 32x10.43x16

In theory yes, but after standing tons of 31s and 265s together when I worked at Les Schwab, I've found that they are basically the same overall size in width and height.

It is 8% difference, so add 8.

B

Hmm, weird, I'll have to do another run with the gps and do a comparison.

In theory yes, but after standing tons of 31s and 265s together when I worked at Les Schwab, I've found that they are basically the same overall size in width and height.

I dunno... the math doesn't lie man..

Oh I know that and I understand what you're getting at. But what I'm saying is, manufacturers measure their tires so differently that there's almost never a true-to-measurement tire and there's always a little bit of deviation in the physical tire size. I put a set 265/75/16s on a '97 caR50 and they looked great. It was also the same size tire that came off and I talked to the guy about it and that's all he's been running since he got the truck.

I have 16" crager soft rims and 285/75/r16 mud tires the only problem I have is with my particular rim the off-set causes the tires to rub the frame after about a turn and a half of the wheel. Had I got 15" rims (with different offset) there would have been no rubbing but I already had the tires, and didn't want to buy new ones. I hope your wheels work out for you.

Don't mess with GPS, do the math... ;)

Revs per Mile: 720.4

Revs per Mile: 671.6

Sorry, it's generally closer to 7%. :shrug:

B