front end clicking

skulptr

ok so i had 2 shops tell me the same thing, all my front end clicking was my lower ball joints. so i replaced them. now my clicking is worse. only happens when going over bumps, and since i live on a farm, i'm cursed with them every where i go unless i'm at work. i recorded a few videos, maybe someone has experience with this sound, and found the fix. i'm already working on the bearings, wish i had the proper tool to torque them in with. my front strut boots and bump stops are, well pretty much non existent.

th_08212010004.jpg

th_08212010005-1.jpg

i hope you guys can hear it, i'm goin crazy over it. i'd hate to run the 2nd mr jim with this embarrassment

Check to see if your cv boot has cracked at all. You might have something filled up in there causing the "clicking" noise. I had a noise similar to that and found that I had a broken axle, which I actually drove around with for a day unknowingly... I found that when I put it in 4 wheel the noise stopped. Needless to say it was an expensive fix. Hope you don't have that much of a problem.

no its definetly not axle's, i check those weekly, plus if it was that clicking, it would make it constantly or when turning, not only when going over something as shallow as a small speed bump.

And I thought I was going to be mudding through some poo! your supposed to dodge the patties! Thats not a click it a clunk. Wheel bearing wouldn't make that noise. I would go with johnm for starters. If you can reach the strut from above the tire, jerk it back and forth to see if you feel any slack. with the hood open have some one watch the top strut bolt while you jerk on it to see if it moves. You have something loose in there it shouldn't be too hard to find.

James

doing it only on bumps? how do i identify a broken strut mount? besides a broken something... :chairfall:

Yes, only on bumps. I can only tell you what mine did. The threaded end of the strut rod had gone completely through the mount plate, so the top nut was about 1/2" above the mount plate. Every time I went over a dip or bump, the strut would extend and the clunk was the nut hitting the mount. It was easy enough to spot, you should be able to see the mount, strut rod and nut under the hood. I'd post an image of what it SHOULD look like, but I can't figure out how to do it.

Definitely strut mounts. More so it might be your strut bearings (spherical bearing) gone bad. This happened to mine twice! Only happened when I hit bumps or dips. So I would really place the focus on that. Good way to tell, as stated above, is to have the hood open, and push thr truck down. If the strut shaft moves, thats your problem.

Jose

ok so theres a little movement in the strut mounts, but i found ALOT of movement in the sway bar front and back. so they both need new links and bushings, but what happens if i just take them both off for now? i live on a washboard gravel road, ever driven on one of those? now combine it with this noise.... :togo:

I wouldn't remove the sway bar links personally... they were cheap enough when I replaced mine... $70ish for both sides (front) and 20 mins of work provided you dont have to cut the links out.

my sway bar in front has over a half inch of play in its bushings. cheap fix too, but right now i'm broke, and its hitting my now bent skid plate, which i figured out is why it got so loud.

You could get away with removing the rear but I wouldn't even recommend that if you're riding on stock coils. The clicking is nothing serious albeit quite annoying but I would replace the sway bar links, bushings and strut mounts as soon as possible. You'll be glad you did. :aok:

If the noise is too irritating, you could just completely remove the front swaybar until you can get some new links and bushings. You will have more body lean around corners, but just corner slower and you'll be OK. (I've been driving without any swaybars for 7 years now.)

You shouldn't drive with the swaybar disconnected and still in place, because it will bang around on top of the axles while you drive. If you disconnect only one side, the same thing will happen when one wheel goes up and the other goes down.

Don't feel too bad, when I go wheeling and driving on the "roads to trails" that full of pot holes and such, I get the same thing as one of my swaybar bushings, and the bolts that hold it in are missing :shrug: