96 up R50 3.0 header swap

sprinthead

A while ago I cruising around the board, and *somebody* was attempting to put a set of headers from an up to 95 3.0 L into a 96 and up 3.3 L R50. I remember thinking this was a pretty do-able thing, aside from cat conv fitment , o2 sensor bungs and possible clearance and fit issues. I would like to find out what this person did , and if they managed to make it work , and what headers they used if it did work ! I've tried the search function but have not been able to find the thread !! Can anybody help with finding this person, as I'm about to do full exhaust on my R50 and am seriously thinking headers and such ! Thanks all !!!

I think that may have been Morpheus, a service manager at a dealership in Canadia. He since went turncoat and sold/is selling his Pathy so I don't think that project ever got past the idea stage.

Here is one...

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=24064&st=0&p=438736&hl=R50%20headers&fromsearch=1entry438736

And two...

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=24585&st=0&p=448692&hl=R50%20headers&fromsearch=1entry448692

B

I sure did!

We haven't verified that they are the exact same for the xterra/frontier as the R50 but we do have them for the Frontier and xterra 3.3.

http://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords=465-l-c

nissan-xterra-frontier-33l-long-tube-headers.jpg

Edited by SteeevO

However they do eliminate the primary cats on each side. You'll need to check with your local smog laws if you plan on using these on the street.

The original plan was to make them fit with the cats but it simply wasn't possible with the factory manifold/cat configuration.

Maybe not in Cali. Not only does all the approved equipment have to be there, but it has to be within inches of the stock location. Got your O2 bung 2" down stream farther than stock? That's a smog check failure...

Yeah, I know.

B

Maybe not in Cali. Not only does all the approved equipment have to be there, but it has to be within inches of the stock location. Got your O2 bung 2" down stream farther than stock? That's a smog check failure...

Yeah, I know.

B

And that's why I won't live in Naziland... I just couldn't do it.

Ok so they are not Carb/50 state certified or pending but may only be legal for use off road?

If so, you have just disappointed my wife.

B

That is correct.. appologize to your wife for me.. lol

Right now they are marked off-road use only but there seems to be a ton of places in the States and in Canada where it doesn't matter ... atleast those are the calls i'm getting.

The problem with the cats is that they were simply too close to the manifolds and if the headers were made to accommodate to cats, they would crack just like the factory manifolds.

So we opted to ditch the cats and build a reliable product.

CA state laws state that the cats have to be in the factory location. so moving them further down stream isn't an option.

In Canada, any e-test I've gotten, they don't even look for the cats. They hook the truck up to the sniffer, and if it's under the limits you pass. Simple as that. The only other things they check is for exhaust gases in the cab, and the gas cap maintaining pressure.