Tread Lightly

MAXEDpath

The offroad club I'm in, NOAS, we always carry trash bags on runs and will pick up stuff we see when we are sitting taking pictures at obsticles and such. One time (at a private property park) we almost filled a guys Hardbody bed with aluminum cans, once done it filled 6 trash bags, and got him some gas money when he recycled them. The park is always full of drunk rednecks on ATVs who throw their cans over their shoulder when done. We try to leave the places we go better than they were when we arrived :aok: .

well like I just said with all the closure and restrictions out here and plus I have seen a couple of videos posted that show the "Intelligence" of quiet a large group of America

Scary, isn't it...

We don't have parks here, so we share our trails (which are on Crown Land) with the snowmobile association.

You guys have royalty?? What king is in charge now??

You said rape twice? :scratchhead:

I like rape...

(thanks, I was suprised it took so long)

B

but if all it takes is for people to stay on the trail, be responsilbe, and tread lightly.. to keep our trails open.. then i'm all for it.

How many people on this board have been to a work party?

i have about 40 hours of volunteer time in this year alone, and more last year.

I always tread as lightly as possible. I certainly don't ever do stupid things like blaze new trails, rip up wetlands, or litter. I try to pick up every piece of trash I see, though in Capitol Forest this is impossible as the whole place is pretty much a garbage dump now. :rant2: For those that would like more information about the tread lightly concept, here's a link to the Tread Lightly! website.

I've been to many DNR work parties over the years and have hauled many thousands of pounds of garbage and scrap metal out of the woods with my Unimogs. I've also hauled in building supplies, crushed rock, concrete, equipment, etc. for maintenance of trail bridges and river/stream crossings. I did a lot of work to help keep what is now Reiter Foothills open though sadly it is now closed. It is supposed to re-open at some point in the future but due to it's close proximity to the Wild Sky Wilderness I think it's gone forever. It's really too bad, the Lake Isabel trail has always been one of my favorites.

I always tread as lightly as possible. I certainly don't ever do stupid things like blaze new trails, rip up wetlands, or litter. I try to pick up every piece of trash I see, though in Capitol Forest this is impossible as the whole place is pretty much a garbage dump now. :rant2: For those that would like more information about the tread lightly concept, here's a link to the Tread Lightly! website.

I've been to many DNR work parties over the years and have hauled many thousands of pounds of garbage and scrap metal out of the woods with my Unimogs. I've also hauled in building supplies, crushed rock, concrete, equipment, etc. for maintenance of trail bridges and river/stream crossings. I did a lot of work to help keep what is now Reiter Foothills open though sadly it is now closed. It is supposed to re-open at some point in the future but due to it's close proximity to the Wild Sky Wilderness I think it's gone forever. It's really too bad, the Lake Isabel trail has always been one of my favorites.

:goodpost:

I support pack it in pack it out and if I see trash on the trails I pick it up...I aslo support staying g on designated trails and approach people who don't unless ultimately its for a recovery but then u must return everything back to the way it was....jackasses that don't respect what they have get trails closed

I support pack it in pack it out and if I see trash on the trails I pick it up...I aslo support staying g on designated trails and approach people who don't unless ultimately its for a recovery but then u must return everything back to the way it was....jackasses that don't respect what they have get trails closed

We had some guy on an old Yota come through once at URE, we had the particular part of trail we were on (below Kodak Rock) blocked by other trucks while we repaired one. He tore through the trees to get around the truck at the end (there is a bypass area that was clear). Then he got to where we were working and tried going off camber past us and hit a tree and knocked a light out (left the pieces laying there), as he was backing up for a second run he nearly tipped over into one of our trucks, nearly crushing a guy standing beside it. Then ran past the tree and scraped his whole truck along it as he tore up the hill through the vegitation. Then he went over and proceeded to hump Kodak Rock for a 1/2 hour before giving up, at which point he just leaves the truck sit there blocking other people, rather than asking for a winch off.

P1010905.jpg

What we were fixing was a broken seal on an oil pan on an 05 Frontier (2 piece pan). The lower section hit a rock and bent. Took it off, hammered it back, resealed it and bolted it back. Cleaned up and bagged any dirt that the oil had spilt on.

180.jpg

your right.. no argument from me.

there is a difference between on trail and off trail riding.. one is legal the other is not.

but if all it takes is for people to stay on the trail, be responsilbe, and tread lightly.. to keep our trails open.. then i'm all for it.

How many people on this board have been to a work party?

i have about 40 hours of volunteer time in this year alone, and more last year.

I can not say how many hours i have spent at work party's but i can tell you its allot. The group I am in makes sure to at least have 4 of your group at every local work party, most of the time there is way more of use, On top of that we clean up and maintain 7up in TSF regularly as we adopted the trail a few years back to keep it open.

Most of us also carry SOL bags, so we can clean up stuff we see on the trails. We use SOL bags because we can put them in any government land dumpster even none public use ones without having problems. If you are in oregon and want to get SOL bags for cleanups go to a sheriffs office, or a ODF&W office and tell them you are looking for litter cleanup bags.

I am a smoker, but i use my ashtray for my butts, It is so disturbing how many cig butts get left on trails your vertical has a ashtray for a reason and if it doesn't don't smoke in it. Cans are also a big problem. If you see people throwing out trash along the trail take a pic of there license plate and them throwing the waste and stop by the sheriffs office on your way home and turn in the pictures so they have to pay a fine that goes towards running cleanups in the area.

I am not a azz or anything but people that disrespect our land deserve to pay for it, the more of them we catch and teach a lesson to the more of our trails will stay open.

You know, Cigarette Butts are the #1 rated Worst Litter Bug GLOBALLY. There are more discarded cigarette butts then anything else out there. Now I'm not a smoker and I'm aware that a lot of smokers are irate with a lot of rights they feel they've lost over the years, but honestly.... If I were a cop, I'd be that asshole cop pulling EVERYONE over for throwing wrappers and cigarette butts out the window while they're driving. I once stopped and picked up a butt some dude threw out at a light, went back to his car knocked on the window and when he rolled it down i said "You dropped this. Thought you might want it back." and threw it in his car with the burner still going. I felt really good after that since there really wouldn't be anything that he could do since littering is Illegal. At any rate, the shore lines that I clean up at the beaches are always riddled with thousands of butts every clean up which drives me nuts. I even had a guy once Toss his butt on the sand in front of us WHILE we were cleaning up the beach. I just about F***ing lost it.

I really don't get the mentality of a person who litters at all. They know its illegal, they must know that it's just wrong on so many levels, they must know that there are millions of Waste containers ready to take your trash provided for you all over the place, so really...... I don't get it...

Edited by Dowser

You know, Cigarette Butts are the #1 rated Worst Litter Bug GLOBALLY. There are more discarded cigarette butts then anything else out there. Now I'm not a smoker and I'm aware that a lot of smokers are irate with a lot of rights they feel they've lost over the years, but honestly.... If I were a cop, I'd be that asshole cop pulling EVERYONE over for throwing wrappers and cigarette butts out the window while they're driving. I once stopped and picked up a butt some dude threw out at a light, went back to his car knocked on the window and when he rolled it down i said "You dropped this. Thought you might want it back." and threw it in his car with the burner still going. I felt really good after that since there really wouldn't be anything that he could do since littering is Illegal. At any rate, the shore lines that I clean up at the beaches are always riddled with thousands of butts every clean up which drives me nuts. I even had a guy once Toss his butt on the sand in front of us WHILE we were cleaning up the beach. I just about F***ing lost it.

I really don't get the mentality of a person who litters at all. They know its illegal, they must know that it's just wrong on so many levels, they must know that there are millions of Waste containers ready to take your trash provided for you all over the place, so really...... I don't get it...

Part in RED.

you know i smoke, and i have a huge rule for people riding in my rig.

If you smoke, put it out on the door and throw it on the floor.

I'll clean it up later.

Better than throwing them on the ground, wich i NEVER do,

its quite normal to go camping wiht me and pull a hand full of cig buts out of my back pocket.

cuase its better than on the ground.

My dad used to smoke, and he's an avid nature photographer... at the end of a hike he would have a collection saved up in the cuff of his jeans.

thought i would post this here for anyone in the area.

Recieved this from Stephanie Beall of ODF:

OHV Trail Work Party & Volunteer BBQ Potluck

Date: Saturday 09/11/10

Time: 9:00am - 4:00pm

VOLUNTEERS MAKE IT HAPPEN!

Join your fellow OHV enthusiasts to partner with the Oregon Department of Forestry on reroute construction and general maintenance on motorcycle, four-wheel drive, and quad trails. The work parties will be followed by a BBQ potluck at the Tillamook Forest Center.

PROJECT INFORMATION

* Motorcycle Trail Project: meet at 9:00am at Diamond Mill to work on the Beaverslide re-route.

* ATV & 4x4 Trail Project: meet at Rogers Camp at 9:00am.

Potluck: 2:00pm at the Tillamook Forest Center. ODF will provide burgers, brats, condiments and drinks. Please bring a side dish or dessert to share.

For More Information Contact:

Stephanie Beall

503-359-7464

sbeall@odf.state.or.us