Advice on a '95 Path for $2000. Buy & fix up?

dadoftwo

I found a 1995 Pathfinder XE 5sp with 150k miles for $2000. It's 2WD, which is ok for me since it's only for the street.

I'm tempted to buy it and then be willing to put a few grand of repairs into it. It looks to be in great condition from the photos. But it's 2 hours from where I live, so I can't have my mechanic check it out.

What should I watch out for in a '95 Path when I inspect and drive it? It's probably seen 15 salty winters for all I know, but the body and bumpers aren't showing rust. And about this idea in general, anybody been there, done that?

thanks

Sounds overpriced to me for 2wd, and if you have to put a couple thousand into it I would say keep looking. I picked my 4wd path for $650 minimal rust and 90k miles. Theres good deals out there look harder.

If you do look at it check the frame behind the rear wheels to see if its got death rot. Ask last time timing belt was done and if they replaced the waterpump.

Edited by olddirtyrake

I don't think it's worth it if it needs a lot of repairs. It may be for the street, but there always comes a time where a 2WD SUV really doesn't make sense. 4x4 is just another safety feature, saying "I really wish I had 4-wheel drive" when you need it isn't fun.

Yeah I think $1000-1500 would be a better deal on this '95, but the book on it is a little more than $2000. I'm liking it because it's not beat the death, at least in photos. It looks very clean, which is a good starting point if I do have do brakes, timing belt, etc.

I'm worried that if it needs an engine swap or frame repair, I don't know how much that will cost. I was prepared to spend up to $6k, so I have cash left for repairs.

This is the same 5sp Path (except for it being 2wd) that I owned and really enjoyed 15 years ago, so it's got some sentimental value. That's why I'm not looking for something at a lower price or lower miles. I like the look of the pre-96's for sure.

thanks

Definately check the frame throughly for rust, they do have a tendency to rot. Also under the back seats and the drivers foot well are often weak spots.

Definately check the frame throughly for rust, they do have a tendency to rot. Also under the back seats and the drivers foot well are often weak spots.

thanks... If I'm finding rust in any of these place, am I looking for a lot of flaking and actual holes? (seems a lot of Paths are coated with surfact rust underneath, which may not be bad.) And if I find the metal is shot, I guess it's time to walk away? Seems a rotten frame is a more likely and bigger problem in these trucks than an issue with the engine.

I bought my 94 4x4 for $500 needing an engine which I got for $600 and another $600 to have it swapped in, I think that's too much for that truck also, I see them on craigslist local to me all the time with tranny issues but they can be found cheaper and mine has no rust either. I also wouldn't really rely on the owners word on when the timing belt was replaced unless they have receipts too show it. For the minimal expense on doing normal maintenance, what ever truck you may buy I always suggest replacing all the normal tune up, filter parts. You never know when that stuff was replaced before, ( unless you bought it from me and I give you all the receipts and my notepad files showing when everything was done!!)

good luck with what ever vehicle you get and post some pics!!

Here are the photos. No visible rust, not even on the bumpers. I guess it could have been garaged, thought not sure if that saved the frame. Been reading about rusted frames, which I remember when I owned two pre-96's 10 years ago. Kinda scary. Appreciate the comments.

95 XE 5sp 2WD 150k miles, $2000

https://www.carweek.com/galleryBrowser.cfm?SZINVENTORY_ID=200664&pageStyle=black&imageID=1

Edited by dadoftwo

Well, I too think it is too much. FYI, I had to spend 900 for parts for a tune-up which included: plugs, dizzy, rotor, fuel + air filters) pcv, oil press sender, coolant sender, shocks, AT cooler, AT temp gauge, ALL fluids (oil, at, brake, front + rear diff, transfer case, coolant) and f + r shocks. (I do my own work). Wait, and look for a 4wd. I paid 2200 for a 95 SE w/ 112k miles and with recent timing belt, w-pump and exhaust manifold studs replaced (and that was a 1400 bill from the shop!). The tires are nokians and are good for another 3 summers. So really...the guy got 800 bucks for it......

My advice: search out the craigslist daily for your city and others nearby. Don't worry about the "book value" because, really, it is a buyer's market when it comes to used vehicles. A lot of people just need / want to sell their old rides. Good luck, they are awesome trucks!

d

I would hold out for another truck if it needs other repairs. Sentimental or not, it's just a truck on jack stands in your driveway if it needs any kind of major repair.

I paid $725 for my truck, it needed a transmission and was pretty mint before I turned it in to a daily driving wheeler. Here's my intro thread with pics. Oh, and might I add, not a lick of rust, but completely different markets.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=25574&view=findpost&p=470177

the book on it is a little more than $2000.

book value is just a way for used car lots to rip you off and make you feel good about it. I don't care if a piece of paper sais it's worth 10k, it still ain't. I'd personally pass and watch to find a decent 4x... 2k for a 2wd that needs work :thumbsdown:

Quite frankly, I don't think $2k is too much, but prices are higher out here. $2k isn't much for a vehicle that is in good shape, as that one appears to be by the photos. Watch out for the rust as was said, under the rear seat, the rear frame mainly (bring a hammer to tap with) and rockers/fenders. If is it a problem, there will be holes.

The 2 reasons I wouldn't buy it is you haven't done a rust inspection and it isn't 4x4. Yes, you say street only, but you are in NY and I can't imagine 4x4 isn't useful in the winter.

I understand the sentimental part, I bought a second 95 to fix up and have done most of what I wanted to. I'm into the vehicle for 2x what it is 'worth' but it is worth it to me and I plan to drive it for the next decade, not resell it. I'm still WAY less than what a new, comparable vehicle would cost.

My advice is to be patient and look around for something closer to home that you can really check out before the purchase.

B

• 2 weeks later...