new guy from Washington!

nismopu

Thats scary, so we have 3 Kyles living in WA fairly close to each other, get that thing running and to the Jim Run! I am also located in Vancouver.

I would love to get this thing running but man is it a PITA to get this engine out, lol! Got it out last night after dropping the diff out. In that process I found LOTS of things needing to be replaced and I also messed up one of my CV axles as well, I think I popped the knuckle out of the cup. Anyway, every tuesday night is garage night if locals want to come by and drink beer. I don't have a ton of room in the garage but I still get work done. 3 kyles eh? I think one of them even has my old nick name too, lol!

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 kyles eh? I think one of them even has my old nick name too, lol!

what would that be?? have fun with that motor... never had mine out so i dont know how or i would try and see if i could come up and help... but id be of no help...

I think so... that's pretty funny man. If you need help with that VG30ET swap give me a hollar. I just put a 300ZX motor in my '88, and am getting ready to swap the intake with it to from my original TBI (I just wanted it back on the road)

Give me a holla then, lol! I make gutted intakes for the 300zx so if ya need one on the cheap lemme know. As a matter of fact I am looking to ditch the one that's on my car now for cheap. It is getting a different turbo setup and intake setup this year. You can check out the intakes I make at www.allthingsz.com and its under gutted plenums for the z31.

what would that be?? have fun with that motor... never had mine out so i dont know how or i would try and see if i could come up and help... but id be of no help...

It would be your name; my friends sister called me K-Y and it kind of stuck for a few years. lol!

It would be your name; my friends sister called me K-Y and it kind of stuck for a few years. lol!

oh... lol. thats how sexjelly came about.. if u read about that.

SexJelly's original forum name was "kyleky01" or something like that. FYI, the pathfinder intake flows better than the 300zx one.

it was kyleky07 like the member title says... :shrug:

SexJelly's original forum name was "kyleky01" or something like that. FYI, the pathfinder intake flows better than the 300zx one.

Oh I am aware they flow better in stock form but not better than my gutted ones or the CNC ported ones I offer. I am going to be running a later model pathy intake myself more for clearance reasons than anything else. The z31 plenum comes into the firewall on the trucks and pathy's.

Oh I am aware they flow better in stock form but not better than my gutted ones or the CNC ported ones I offer. I am going to be running a later model pathy intake myself more for clearance reasons than anything else. The z31 plenum comes into the firewall on the trucks and pathy's.

How badly to they hit the firewall? Something that a hammer can't fix?

How badly to they hit the firewall? Something that a hammer can't fix?

Pretty badly from what I remember, you can hammer it out but I am not a fan of hammering firewalls. My first vg30et install was done that way in a 2wd HB and I didn't like the way it looked at all.

When I get home tonight I will dig up some pics of that truck and see if I can find any of the interference.

The pathfinder intake already flows more than the engine can take in. So one that flows more is pointless. There is a thread and several posts about it around here somewhere.

Did ya take a look at the product I make? I wouldn't waste my time putting in the effort I do if it was pointless. Lots of people have done their own flow testing on the heads, LIM, and plenum but depending on what you're doing with the engine determines whether or not it is beneficial. For instance in a boosted application which primarily my customers are this manifold works best due to the shear volume of air increase as well. I am not saying a pathy intake is a bad idea all I am saying is the one i produce retains the most stock installed features, increases volume, and increases air speed(key part to making power).

Here in this pic you can see how close the plenum is to the firewall. Unfortunately I don't have any closeups but basically the firewall is pushed back quite a bit.

Picture169.jpg

I see you retained the Z31 exhaust manifolds. From the picture though, it looks like it's just smooshed against the firewall pretty well.

They were pretty close but still had room we could actually remove them without pulling the engine. It was alot harder than doing it in a z31 but it wasn't bad.

They were pretty close but still had room we could actually remove them without pulling the engine. It was alot harder than doing it in a z31 but it wasn't bad.

Sorry if I keep asking more questions, but I'm trying to figure out if I can get my Z31 intake on my Pathfinder. What did you use to push the firewall back around the back of the intake?

Sorry if I keep asking more questions, but I'm trying to figure out if I can get my Z31 intake on my Pathfinder. What did you use to push the firewall back around the back of the intake?

I don't mind the questions at all, I prefer people ask before finding out the hardway like I did.

I will say that a hammer and a cutoff wheel will solve all your clearance issues. I wanna say you have to be careful about your wiper arm linkage, but I am not positive. Its been ahwile..

I was figuring notching it out with a hammer and/or cutting a little. It seems to me like there's something mounted to that part of the firewall, I think heater assembly and what not?

woot another washington man, you should take a look into the trail rides/events section for the mr jim run! less than 2 months away now!

yeah, I am shooting to have this thing done here soon. I don't really have anything drive able right now except my s-10 and I hate driving that thing because it randomly like to run on 3 cyls. sometimes.......

I also need to upload pics of the progress, lol!

Welcoem to NPORA... yet another from the area :aok:

PICS

before i pulled the engine

Picture532.jpg

bye AIV system!

Picture531.jpg

my oil pan has a zit??? what?

Picture528.jpg

welded crank key *facepalm*

Picture527.jpg

clearance for welded crank key *facepalm* x2

Picture525.jpg

Edited by nismopu

interior shots

Picture524.jpg

Picture522.jpg

beer break!

Picture519.jpg

the reason for the beer break, lol!

Picture533.jpg

this is where the hole is cut for clearancing the crossover pipe

Picture534.jpg

crossover pipe

Picture536.jpg

turbueno!

Picture537.jpg

out with the old

Picture538.jpg

this thing was such a pain in the ass!

Picture539.jpg

empty lonely engine bay

Picture540.jpg

need to bolt this stuff back up so i can roll it ouside and pressure wash it

but this is how i got the engine out without taking off the torque converter

Picture541.jpg

Picture542.jpg

Picture543.jpg

Anyway, I have to source some more parts and finish my relocate pipe on the engine going in, power wash this things underside and engine bay, then tidy up some wiring, weld the patch in the hole for the crossover, and re-assemble the interior. Now, I just hope the tranny will hold up to the new found power. lol!