tranny oil cooler.

i was browsing random stuff and i came across this. my tranny gets real hot and i tow things from time to time which puts a beating on it. would this help me out at all or would i be throwing away money? and would the install be real difficult?

definitely NOT a waste of money

a tranny cooler is probably the single BEST investment you can make for your automatic rig

relatively easy to install -- check the Garage section and How-To's =)

Doctor Bill's write up on the AT Cooler starts on Page 3 somewheres

or there's this one

Tmoore did a write up of his own here

hopefully those should help :friday:

Edited by Manifesto

Most Nissan techs that I've talked to recommend bypassing the stock radiator all together and leaving the job to an after market unit.

Anything above 16000 GVW will do the job =)

Jegs carries Derale Flex-a-Lite 26,000 GVW coolers for $41.99

http://www.jegs.com/i/Flex-a-lite/400/3826/10002/-1

throw that puppy in and keep up with your ATF change intervals and your auto tranny should last you forever :)

Edited by Manifesto

• 3 weeks later...

Planned on doing this soon, adding a new tranny cooler. Figured I would change the fluid as well. (been about 30k since its last change). While I have all the hoses off and such, using the output, in a bucket to catch the old fluid.. Will the pump in the tranny be enough to suck new fluid out of a container? Figured it would be a decent method to help "flush" out the old fluid and replace with new...

Think this would be an acceptable method, or would this even work at all?

I've heard of draining it that way, but as far as filling it, I believe our pump creates pressure, not a vacuum so it won't pick fluid back up, only spit it through the OUT pipe. I modified a piece of rubber siphon tubing to fit into the dipstick tube and simply put a funnel in the other end, then hung the funnel from the open hood via coat hanger and pour in 4.5 qt or so (I only drained pan via drain plug)

After getting into it yesterday evening, the fluid is still in great shape. Brightly colored, and no odd smell at all. Figure I will leave it alone for the time being, or until I can rig up that siphon thingy for putting fluid in the dipstick tube. I know it'll use more fluid that way, but it will flush out a lot of the old fluid.

Mister510 is letting me borrow a pyrometer so I've been messing around with it. After ~45 miles of mostly freeway driving, his transmission was running about 180* and mine was closer to 150*. He's just running his stock radiator and I'm running a fresh radiator with a 12,000GVW cooler as well.

These temps were taking from the bottom of the transmission pan.