High beam on one side doesn't work?

wood6078

Hey guys, this has me pretty confused. 95 xe, driver high beam no worky. First thought, bulb. Works fine. Then test light came out and no power from red/blue wire out of the plug. Okay, bought a pigtail at work, hook it up, check w/ testlight and there's power. Put in the bulb, doesn't work. I decide I have a small short somewhere in that wire. I said f@4k it and ran a jumper wire from the other side. Still doesn't work.......I've looked at the fsm wiring diagram, and am I correct in understanding that those run straight to the switch? If that's the case, is it possible the contact in the switch is bad?

Before anyone asks, yes the fuses are good, unless there's more than just the two 15-amp act's on the pass inner fender. Also the low beam works.

Thanks in advance guys

-wood

here is the schematic for Non- DRL headlights from the 95 FSM: according to this diagram each headlight is fed separately from the joint connector plug, I always thought the power was fed to one headlight than jumper-ed over to the other.

Sorry didn't read you checked the diagram in the FSM, might be a problem with the switch itself, in my 90 sentra sometimes when I turn the headlights on I only have one high beam, if I switch it from high to low and back to high they both will work fine.

1ta9l2.jpg

Edited by ahardb0dy

Right, going off the diagram, I assume joint connector a is where that section of the harness comes into cab. I couldn't find the other side of that to see if those wires stay separate all the way to the switch

I should really print all that out so I can actually look at it in the truck

Edited by wood6078

headlight switches are a bit known to kick the bucket... at least in the older wd21 style dash setups (don't know about the re-design ones) normally they will cause one high beam and 1 low beam to cut out (opposite sides from each other normally). If you ran a jumper wire and it still didn't light... are you sure your bulb is good? (I know you said you replaced but new parts don't always mean good parts) try flipping the bulbs from side to side just to make 100% sure you didn't get a scrap bulb as well...

when you ran a jumper wire to the other side which is working and the high beam still didn't work that is weird, unless you ran the wire to the low beam wire on the good side by mistake?? Only thing I can think of.

Tried that^^^^^ nothing

Also, by checking the bulb, I hot-wired it to the battery with some scrap wire

Tried what, dismantling the switch and cleaning the contacts? #1 cause of headlight issues is the contacts in the switch on our trucks.

just change the switch..

Thanks, guys. 20 minutes installing a switch fixed it. Just pisses me off I spent so much time chasing and splicing wires. Again, thanks a lot, guys!