Questions for the AU/NZ crowd

nige

I wanted to ask you guys a few questions about diesel RHD trucks. I've been shopping around for a used D22 at home, and recently i've been looking to the japanese imports. A good, low mileage, clean, gas 3.3l D22 seems to be around $15k, so I decided to look the the JDM imports to see what kind of truck that much money would get me. This is one of them I stumbled on a little while ago, and I am kinda surprised it's still available for import to Canada: BMD21

It's a 1994 BMD21, 4-door, 2.7l TD, 5 speed, 65000km, modified by Autech (whatever that means) for close to $10k cdn. I just have spend $300 to fly over to Vancouver and drive it home. I find it funny that these 16 year old japanese trucks are in much better condition than a 6 year old North American truck. I'm in the process of getting a quote from my insurance company to see what my coverage will cost.

I'm a total newb when it comes to diesel engines, but i know that the diesel would suit my driving style better than the 3l v6 i currently own. I don't like to go fast or let the engine rev above 3.5k rpm, so i figured I'd be better off with the low-end torque and fuel economy the 2.7TD provides. Eventually, i will be swapping over as many parts as I can from the wd21 and the d21 will become my wheeler/boat hauler/long distance road trip vehicle.

Engine concerns:

-What sort of consumables (filters, fluids, seals, sensors, pumps etc) are commonly replaced as part of maintenance of the 2.7td? I think there are some business in western canada that will import these parts for you if you need replacements.

-Are the turbocharged engine models suitable for off-roading? It will get dunked in dirty water, covered in mud and dust and subjected to steep climbs, rough roads and lots of vibrations. Would I be better off with the naturally-aspired 2.7 diesel instead?

-Does the diesel have an ECU that I will need to relocate to higher ground?

-Are there any upgrades to the engine you guys would recommend? I've been reading around that an intercooler and larger diameter exhaust helps the efficiency. I saved all the diesel parts from my safari snorkel, so i will be installing that on the truck too.

-Since it's from Japan, I am betting this truck was subject to lots of short trips (bad for diesels?) If there are lots of carbon deposits on the engine, what is the best way to clean it all out?

Chassis concerns:

-Steering upgrades. Do you guys get your centerlinks upgraded? i could make my own idler arm brace, but my calmini steering will definitely not fit a RHD model.

-fuel tank protection - i know the tanks are different between the WD and D21 trucks, i was wondering if anyone bumps the tank on rocks etc. if it's worth making a skid plate to cover it up. The rest of my skid plates (t-case, trans, oil) should fit the D21 without any modification.

-Spare parts. I know that most chassis parts should be easy to find around here, but I am wondering if there are any parts that are specific to the diesel, RHD trucks (other than steering)

Are there any websites or forums that you guys could direct me to that would give me more information about the d21 diesel nissans? I searched around quite a bit and just decided to throw this up here and see if you guys have had experience with them. I know there is one member on here that owns a '91 which looks very similar to what i'm checking out.

Is there are factory service manual for the D21's with diesel engines that is readily available?

Sorry for all the questions, I just want to know if it's a good idea to buy truck with an engine that literally has no parts support within 4000km of me.

I can't help nige with the diesel in the D21 , hopefully someone else will post some good news . If it was about the D22 with the Z30 motor it would be a different story .

Sweet looking Navara Nige :aok:

Sadly I'm not a big help with the diesel subject, but Pete shouldn't be too far away :D

IIRC the fuel tank has a kinda skid plate, is the fuel tank in that one behind the diff or in front?

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=22195 check here for engine mods and steering mods.

BTW, both me and Pete have the diesel FSM on file :beer:

I believe they have an ECU, But it looks like a 1/4 of the wiring of a V6.

I don't know about their d21's But I know US spec ones had a factory "skid" on the tank just like our WD's do, so if you do get one, yo umight be able to source a little protection(if it ain't got one) in your own junk yards

found out about from my current insurance provider that this vehicle will cost me $164/month for the same coverage that my current WD21 has for $84/month, that kinda negates my fuel savings :(

I'll have to shop around for a better price.

My rep told me since this truck is right hand drive, it falls under the same category as a driver instructor's vehicle. I guess it has something to do with the controls being on the other side, or they just don't get that may clients buying RHD vehicles. :shrug:

Edited by nige

• 3 weeks later...

If you pm me with a e mail addy i will send you the service manual have here on disc for the TD2.7T which will cover most of what you asked about serviceing the TD2.7T.

My one gets dunked in creeks n rivers often and so far no worrys at all.

The weak link is the steering idler on the l/h side but these can be improved a great deal from most good 4x4 shops.

As for the big exaust system you need to take that from the turbo end all the way through to the rear of the 4x4.

by doing it that way you will find a decent increase in power and better MPG.

On my one i have done it plus i also fumigate it with propane which gives me approx 30-40% more power.

As for off road work i find it more than capable of doing it but haveing put an intercooler on it it dose have a bit of turbo lag but you can work around it you will find the tourqe of a diesel motor will over come some of the worrys you have when wheeling in the forests etc.

Have a look here www.japan-partner.com i got my Mistral /Terrano 11/Ford Maverick from here and it cost me $7000.oo NZ dollars landed they have pages for the US/Canada which gives you all the info you need to import one yourself.

Hope it all helps you out

Gary

beer.gif

Edited by long

Hey thanks Gary, I will pm you my email.

I guess I will have to come up with my own solution for the steering. I have a friend that can help me out with that. I'm still getting quotes from insurance companies, but so far my current provider is offering the best price. Thanks for the link, i'll keep my eye on it for more d21 doublecabs

The glow plug timer/control box is under passenger seat, which can be moved up under dash as most wires come from there anyway. The EGR control box is in the rear guard (passenger side I think), which monitors engine temp, throttle position, and rpm, then controls the two vacuume operated EGR valves to "reburn" exhast gases to control emissions. I recommend removing vacuum lines to both valves and pluging them, then fix the inlet valve open (or remove and weld up holes), and then spade the exhast valve at flange to make sure it doesn't bypass exhast. The EGR control box will still be needed to run your rev counter. The td27 will handle 15psi boost, and increased fueling with no probs, as long as you monitor EGT (exhast gas temp) if you do it yourself. The only real problems I've had with my td27, is the starter motor (is now sealed with an extended breather), and the alternater rear bearing. When this fails, it eats the rear seal between vacuum pump, which in turn pumps oil into your alt, which fry's the diodes. As for your idler arm, your in the prime position to use a left hand drive steering box (with half it's guts removed and pitman arm turned 180 degrees) as an idler.

Hope this helps in some way.

Or another way to strengthen up the r/h idler etc have a look at this http://www.offroadexpress.co.nz/Forums/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=21520 you mite like to look at this site www.offroadexpress.co.nz theres a lot of us there that run TD2.7T nissans in the nissan section.

I also have the nessary info here to lock up the torque converter if you also want it.

• 4 weeks later...

thanks for the pointers so far. I'm still shopping for one, and hopefully the canadian dollar will regain some if it's momentum. my dollar nets me about 79 yen right now. it was nice and high back in may.

kbjj, it doesn't sound too different than what i've done to my gas engine (minus the egr modification) I spoke to my local emission tester and he says the tests are much easier to pass with a diesel. He says he rarely fails them unless they are running too rich.

I found this website that give lots of specs on all sorts of nissans regardless of the destination market:

http://specs.cars-directory.net/nissan/

I think i am going to try and find the 94-96 4-door pickup. The 'wild addax" package sounds very similar to the SE versions of the terrano/pathfinder. Hopefully i can find one in good condition. I've been checking the auction sites nearly every day. There are nice ones coming up for sale all the time, such as this:

giphpjpegimage1024x768p.jpg